Atheism is a religion according to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals

I wonder why atheists don't want atheism to be a religion?

I can't see a disadvantage to calling it a religion.

I mean, they do have doctrine:

1) There is no God; therefore,

2) I can do whatever the hell I want so long as I don't get caught; and

3) Christians are dummies.

Religion is a bad thing, never did anybody any good. That's what Dawkins says. He said its worse than child abuse to raise your child to be Catholic. When atheists say things like that, it really doesn't help their P.R.

Religion is a bad thing, never did anybody any good. That's what Dawkins says. He said its worse than child abuse to raise your child to be Catholic. When atheists say things like that, it really doesn't help their P.R.

Dawkins is a whiny miserable little shit. I've got his BBC Atheism series on DVD, but I can't sit through the whole thing, because he comes across twice as intransigent as any of the theists he's attempting to decry. He's one more frail little human trying to prove the unprovable with a gospel according to himself. Gimme Jimmy Swaggart. At least he can sing.

What day do they not have to get up early to go to temple? :)

I do not see how it matters if people consider Atheism to be a "religion" or not. It would make little difference.

I find nothing interesting about Atheism anymore. It bores me. It is a lame and dull way to attune your mind.

I do not see how it matters if people consider Atheism to be a "religion" or not. It would make little difference.

I find nothing interesting about Atheism anymore. It bores me. It is a lame and dull way to attune your mind.

If it isn't a religion then they can claim that their world view is acceptable to be taught in the school system without disrupting the "separation of church and state" rule that they made up to prevent anyone else from talking about any other world view.

The problem is:

a) Atheism is a religion
b) The term separation of church and state has nothing to do with religion being involved in state affairs and everything to do with keeping the governments noses out of the affairs of the church.

Atheism IS a religion according to the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals.

“Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being,” the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.
Read more at Court rules atheism a religion

I rest my case.
You can rest your case but first, shouldn't you make one?

It's not an uncommon for you fundies to cut and paste out of context portions of articles you read on fundie websites. Have you ever considered actually researching the issue rather than mindlessly cutting and pasting a single sentence?

ACA Online Articles

“Atheism is [the inmate's] religion, and the group that he wanted to start was religious in nature even though it expressly rejects a belief in a supreme being,” the 7th Circuit Court of Appeals said.

I rest my case.
Incorrect, you lose your 'case.'

The Supreme Court does not consider those free form faith as following a 'religion':

“[W]hen the underlying principle has been examined in the crucible of litigation, the Court has unambiguously concluded that the individual freedom of conscience protected by the First Amendment embraces the right to select any religious faith or none at all."

Wallace v. Jaffree (1985)

And as we all know the Supreme Court trumps all lower courts, being free from faith is not a 'religion.'

Dawkins is the atheist's pope......

I rest my case.

The ruling is incorrect.

Atheism is not a religion. It's a rejection of religion.

It's not a matter of want or don't want.

Words have meanings. Divorcing the meaning from the word has broad implications.

The OP is arguing that Atheism is a religion, therefore, the absence of religion in public schools is advocating for Atheism.

That's a very dangerous legal construct.

I rest my case.

The Supreme Court does not consider those free form faith as following a 'religion':

“[W]hen the underlying principle has been examined in the crucible of litigation, the Court has unambiguously concluded that the individual freedom of conscience protected by the First Amendment embraces the right to select any religious faith or none at all."

And as we all know the Supreme Court trumps all lower courts, being free from faith is not a 'religion.'
Atheism has no lack of faith. They believe (have faith) that a deity does not exist. They have faith in themselves.

It's not a matter of want or don't want.

Words have meanings. Divorcing the meaning from the word has broad implications.

The OP is arguing that Atheism is a religion, therefore, the absence of religion in public schools is advocating for Atheism.

That's a very dangerous legal construct.
No it is not. The absence of the expression of religious doctrine in government schools, including the doctrine of Atheism does not constitute support of Atheism. It merely bans religion from being taught or supported in any way.

I rest my case.

The ruling is incorrect.

Atheism is not a religion. It's a rejection of religion.
Like Islam ?

I rest my case.

Atheism has no lack of faith. They believe (have faith) that a deity does not exist. They have faith in themselves.
That's the expression of a simpleton which has been refuted many times before.

Forum List

Back