Zone1 Fascination with the Devil and Hell

Meriweather

Not all who wander are lost
Oct 21, 2014
My family has a genealogical connection to the Salem Witch Trials, so I have been reading the newly released book, Killing the Witches. In any religion forum, ours included, there are threads about Satan, hell, devils, the anti-Christ, etc. In fact, atheists are even gung-ho on making God out to be evil.

What is wrong with us as a people? Spectators delighted in seeing people hanged, burned, pressed to death under stones. The good people back then who did protest or help the accused remind me of ourselves today: While bad things erupt all around us our efforts now come across as puny as those who lived through the witch trials then. God is good! So why the fascination and the power of evil?

My family has a genealogical connection to the Salem Witch Trials, so I have been reading the newly released book, Killing the Witches. In any religion forum, ours included, there are threads about Satan, hell, devils, the anti-Christ, etc. In fact, atheists are even gung-ho on making God out to be evil.

What is wrong with us as a people? Spectators delighted in seeing people hanged, burned, pressed to death under stones. The good people back then who did protest or help the accused remind me of ourselves today: While bad things erupt all around us our efforts now come across as puny as those who lived through the witch trials then. God is good! So why the fascination and the power of evil?
Satan answers the question, if God is good and loving, why is there so much evil in the world?

Except, there is so much good, arguably more. Why can't the good be more effective against ignorance and evil?

Time is coming and good is tired.

Evil has had far more help than good has, because evil feels better and is easier than good. Good takes effort.

Time is coming.

While bad things erupt all around us our efforts now come across as puny as those who lived through the witch trials then. God is good! So why the fascination and the power of evil?
What do you mean by that? What efforts do you consider to be puny? Good efforts? Efforts to do evil? I've noticed that lately you've been making an effort to put yourself forward as a good person.

I think you are.
But some of your sentences need explaining.

Except, there is so much good, arguably more. Why can't the good be more effective against ignorance and evil?
I was just reading about the Mongols and their empire(s) in Asia, they were responsible for and estimated 60 million deaths. The Spanish flu after WWI killed an estimated 20 million people. What was the good that balanced that?

....or God could have stepped in to stop it.

I think a great number of people are just tired of 24/7 injustice.

They are sick of it.

When digesting the amount of evil and injustice in this world, you begin to realize the necessity of hell existing.

They are sick of it.

When digesting the amount of evil and injustice in this world, you begin to realize the necessity of hell existing.
Let's step back and look on from a distance:
  • Who elected a president with dementia?
  • Who elected a senator suffering from a stroke?
  • Who elected representatives who have their own version of insider trading?
  • Who elects leaders of cities that do nothing about either crime, substance abuse, and mental illness and permit thousands to live on the streets?
  • Who elects those who stand between parents and children?
We, the citizens, are doing all of this. We are permitting it at worse, looking the other way at best. The last thing we need is another hell.

The Spanish flu after WWI killed an estimated 20 million people. What was the good that balanced that?
The Spanish flu was a virus. It wasn't a person attacking other people. One of my great-grandmothers was a victim of the Spanish flu, and after her death the family pitched in to fill the hole left by the loss of her life.

What efforts do you consider to be puny?
One of the problems in Salem was that the few who spoke out against the trials or spoke up for the accused were quickly accused of being witches. People who showed their disdain for the trials by showing up at the meeting house were also suspect and in grave danger of being accused.

It appears the people who considered the witch trials bunk were not effective in gathering and pushing back.

He already knew they wouldn't. Thus he already knew he needed to step in and fix it.
Then we live in the mess we make until we clean it up. Think about it. Are we the servants of God, or do we consider God the servant (not to mention genii) of man?

God gave mankind freewill. Satan showed mankind that he could be his own "god" (small g) if he so desired. And thus began that endless battle between God's Holy will for us and our own lustful/sinful/fallen nature. The flesh & the devil vs. the Holy Spirit and God's Written WORD.

Words have power. Both Satan and God whisper to us through our conscience. We choose who we follow. Most will reject God and go their own way. As the Bible says: "many are called but few are chosen."

One of the problems in Salem was that the few who spoke out against the trials or spoke up for the accused were quickly accused of being witches. People who showed their disdain for the trials by showing up at the meeting house were also suspect and in grave danger of being accused.

It appears the people who considered the witch trials bunk were not effective in gathering and pushing back.
I'm fully aware of the details, but thanks for your explanation on your meaning.

Does that which you describe remind you of politics and the fact that the truth on America's war against Russia is being denied for pretty much the same reasons? Very, very few Americans are daring to tell the truth, but those who do are laudable exceptions.

I understand that you won't agree with that but maybe you can take it for it's meaning, in that people will allow others to be stoned in front of their faces, for imaginary crimes based on superstitious beliefs. Witches?

God gave mankind freewill. Satan showed mankind that he could be his own "god" (small g) if he so desired. And thus began that endless battle between God's Holy will for us and our own lustful/sinful/fallen nature. The flesh & the devil vs. the Holy Spirit and God's Written WORD.

Words have power. Both Satan and God whisper to us through our conscience. We choose who we follow. Most will reject God and go their own way. As the Bible says: "many are called but few are chosen."
At times you've been one of the most meanspirited and evil posters on this board, but at the same time you're a young earther and a literal believer in your bible!

Coincidence?

Does that which you describe remind you of politics and the fact that the truth on America's war against Russia is being denied for pretty much the same reasons? Very, very few Americans are daring to tell the truth, but those who do are laudable exceptions.
I am focused more on what America is doing to itself and the problems right here in our own country.

They are sick of it.

I never thought about Christ one way or the other until realizing how evil the world has gotten in the last decade or so, at which time I decided I had to acknowledge the presence of that much evil. And if that much evil existed, I also had to acknowledge the necessary existence of a counterforce of Good.

I should thank the evil ones for opening my eyes.

Forum List

Back