Mistakes Atheists Make

1) Defining atheism
In the golden age of atheism (late 1800's) atheism was generally held to be "the doctrine or belief that there is no God". Today some atheists prefer to define atheism as merely "lack of belief in God". While I appreciate the intellectual retreat the new definition represents, this new definition is illogical. According to the 2nd definition those who know or think there is a God are atheists, which is absurd.

2) Burden of proof
Atheists often say theists must shoulder the burden of proof since theists claim there is a God. However, atheists are also making a claim: theism is an ill-considered position. So atheists should also bear the burden of proof.

3) Radical skepticism
Some atheists are radical skeptics, but radical skepticism is self-defeating. As Wittgenstein said: “If you tried to doubt everything you would not get as far as doubting anything. The game of doubting itself presupposes certainty.”

4) Hard materialism
Can atheists prove only the material world exists?

5) Atheism and tolerance
According to one estimate over 25 million Christians died from secular antireligious violence in the 20th century.
Psychology Religion and Spirituality - James M. Nelson - Google Books

6) Atheism and happiness
BBC NEWS Health Religion linked to happy life

7) Atheists' recurring intellectual cowardice and laziness
Atheists seem eager to ridicule the least educated while avoiding the most educated Christians.
Atheists The Origin of the Species by Nick Spencer reviewed.

You make it too difficult

It all comes down to......Doesn't seem true to me

The question pre-supposes God cares.

God mentioned in our Bibles seems to care a great deal what we believe and do. If it didn't there'd be no need of 613 commandments, no need of hell to threaten people with "behave or else." And some of those commandments wouldn't read "to know that I am the Lord your God..." As one verse says, "The Lord is a jealous god." That doesn't sound like the carebear deity modern revisioninsts claim he is. Sounds more akin to a petty insecure dictator who demands he be worshipped or he'll cast you into hell. But is it actually being worshipped if it's only being done out of fear?

That pre-supposes the Bible is correct. I very much doubt that.

1) Defining atheism
In the golden age of atheism (late 1800's) atheism was generally held to be "the doctrine or belief that there is no God". Today some atheists prefer to define atheism as merely "lack of belief in God". While I appreciate the intellectual retreat the new definition represents, this new definition is illogical. According to the 2nd definition those who know or think there is a God are atheists, which is absurd.

2) Burden of proof
Atheists often say theists must shoulder the burden of proof since theists claim there is a God. However, atheists are also making a claim: theism is an ill-considered position. So atheists should also bear the burden of proof.

3) Radical skepticism
Some atheists are radical skeptics, but radical skepticism is self-defeating. As Wittgenstein said: “If you tried to doubt everything you would not get as far as doubting anything. The game of doubting itself presupposes certainty.”

4) Hard materialism

5) Atheism and tolerance
According to one estimate over 25 million Christians died from secular antireligious violence in the 20th century.

6) Atheism and happiness

Atheists seem eager to ridicule the least educated while avoiding the most educated Christians.

Good start, but the reason it doesn't seem true to me is because I believe it is not true.

1) Defining atheism

2) Burden of proof

3) Radical skepticism

4) Hard materialism

5) Atheism and tolerance

6) Atheism and happiness

Good start, but the reason it doesn't seem true to me is because I believe it is not true.

Atheists don't believe in leprechauns, astrology, witchcraft, magic, unicorns.....they just add organized religions to the list

1) Defining atheism

2) Burden of proof

3) Radical skepticism

4) Hard materialism

5) Atheism and tolerance

6) Atheism and happiness

Atheists don't believe in leprechauns, astrology, witchcraft, magic, unicorns.....they just add organized religions to the list

Yes. I've heard that. I believe that is not true either.

1) Defining atheism

2) Burden of proof

3) Radical skepticism

4) Hard materialism

5) Atheism and tolerance

6) Atheism and happiness

There is no decision.....I think I will become an atheist

Just a realization that what you are hearing is not true

I've seen leprechuans, had my charts done, seen all the Harry Potter movies, watched many magic shows and magic docs, and seen "Legend."

All those things do in fact exist. In a manner of speaking. Just as God does. Or at least, as much as any figure from antiquity does.

People get hung up on reality when reality isn't real anyway :)

1) Defining atheism

2) Burden of proof

3) Radical skepticism

4) Hard materialism

5) Atheism and tolerance

6) Atheism and happiness

There is no decision.....I think I will become an atheist

Just a realization that what you are hearing is not true

Or so you believe. ;)

There's no fine-tuning of the universe. Rather, the way universe works is the only way life can come to exist in it. If the universe functioned differently, we wouldn't be here. That we are here then isn't a function of deliberate will so much as this is the only way we could come to exist at all.

If believing fairy stories improves and enhances you life, more power to ya. Unfortunately, if you're here argueing the point I dare say it isn't enhancing your life so much as hindering it that you feel the need to constantly refute the naysayers' assertions reinforcing your delusional beliefs.

1) Defining atheism

2) Burden of proof

3) Radical skepticism

4) Hard materialism

5) Atheism and tolerance

6) Atheism and happiness

What is this new obsession with atheists on the board these days?

If you want to believe in a magic man in the sky go ahead.

It certainly is no worse than not believing.

Why are you all compelled to tell someone else why they are wrong while never conceding the point that you both may be wrong?

Mind your own business and stfu.

@Thunderbird - I'm curious how you'd label or characterize my view. I actually believe gods are real, but I don't necessarily buy all the claims made about gods by believers. The concept of 'supernatural' seems contradictory to me, but I'm not a 'hard materialist', as most of the things that matter in life are non-material.

There's no fine-tuning of the universe. Rather, the way universe works is the only way life can come to exist in it. If the universe functioned differently, we wouldn't be here. That we are here then isn't a function of deliberate will so much as this is the only way we could come to exist at all.
Check out this quote from the Biologos webpage mentioned above: Many adherents to philosophical naturalism give a response along the following lines: Because humans exist, the laws of nature clearly must be the ones compatible with life. Otherwise, we simply wouldn’t be here to notice the fact. To argue against this line of reasoning, John Leslie makes the analogy of surviving an execution at a firing squad completely unharmed. Here, Leslie argues that the naturalist’s argument above is analogous to saying, "Of course all of the shots missed, otherwise I wouldn’t be here to notice that I’m still alive!” A much more logical approach would be to seek out an explanation for why such an unlikely event occurred.

@Thunderbird - I'm curious how you'd label or characterize my view. I actually believe gods are real, but I don't necessarily buy all the claims made about gods by believers. The concept of 'supernatural' seems contradictory to me, but I'm not a 'hard materialist', as most of the things that matter in life are non-material.
You are clearly a theist.

Check out this quote from the Biologos webpage mentioned above: Many adherents to philosophical naturalism give a response along the following lines: Because humans exist, the laws of nature clearly must be the ones compatible with life. Otherwise, we simply wouldn’t be here to notice the fact. To argue against this line of reasoning, John Leslie makes the analogy of surviving an execution at a firing squad completely unharmed. Here, Leslie argues that the naturalist’s argument above is analogous to saying, "Of course all of the shots missed, otherwise I wouldn’t be here to notice that I’m still alive!” A much more logical approach would be to seek out an explanation for why such an unlikely event occurred.

I don't get paid to be a philosopher so am content to leave it in their hands. :)

It doesn't matter what we deserve, God loves us unconditionally, even when we stray away from him.

If you believe that, why do you keep preaching and thumping on your bible?

You're welcome to your beliefs and I have no need to persuade you to believe otherwise. Why don't christians give atheists that same courtesy?

Atheism is embraced by the superstitious.
Look Who's Irrational Now WSJ

While those who prefer science and reason become theists.
What is the fine-tuning of the universe and how does it serve as a pointer to God BioLogos

I don't think so. Atheism tends to be far more common among those with higher degrees of education. The only issue I have with some Atheists is this ridiculous insistence they have that they don't have beliefs. Other than that, there is nothing irrational at all about it.

1340819070527_9323674_1__zps266e0bcd.png

I don't think so. Atheism tends to be far more common among those with higher degrees of education.
Some timid minds submit to the indoctrination of the academic establishment.

The only issue I have with some Atheists is this ridiculous insistence they have that they don't have beliefs.
Good point.

God did it is not an explanation.

Science can't answer why something occurred or why it occurred the way it did, it only answers how. Everything else is just speculation.

Forum List

Back