Mistakes Atheists Make

I really like to be pigeon holed by theists. So, what are we, who do not believe in god, and really don't give a rat's ass if others do or not?

BTW, I've got a soft tail just like yours. I've tweaked it out a bit with a cowling and bags, but its even the same color. Rides like a dream.

Mistakes Atheists Make

I have to confess, the biggest mistake I made was to go to church for 18 years

I used to worry a christian woman would not marry me if she knew I was an atheist and my buddy said he broke up with his girl because she believed in Jesus. He said, "I just couldn't marry someone that stupid".

I would marry a theist and just keep my mouth shut. Nod my head. Tell her I'm more spiritual than religious.

Hell, I'd even go to church if that's what she wanted. Little would those church goers know I"m making fun of them in my mind. I bet there are a lot of people who go and don't really believe. They like the social part of it. And the church don't care as long as you put a buck in when they pass the hat.

Mistakes Atheists Make

I used to worry a christian woman would not marry me if she knew I was an atheist and my buddy said he broke up with his girl because she believed in Jesus. He said, "I just couldn't marry someone that stupid".

I would marry a theist and just keep my mouth shut. Nod my head. Tell her I'm more spiritual than religious.

Hell, I'd even go to church if that's what she wanted. Little would those church goers know I"m making fun of them in my mind. I bet there are a lot of people who go and don't really believe. They like the social part of it. And the church don't care as long as you put a buck in when they pass the hat.

Like most men...you are willing to compromise your religious beliefs to get laid

Mistakes Atheists Make

Like most men...you are willing to compromise your religious beliefs to get laid

Now that is just a sexist thing to say. True... but sexist.

Mistakes Atheists Make

So you admit that you are a huge hypocrite, and even plan on being hypocritical. Good to know.

Those like you are the very ones you despise. They are 2 hour Christians, just putting on a façade for 2 hours a week.

Mistakes Atheists Make

So you admit that you are a huge hypocrite, and even plan on being hypocritical. Good to know.

Those like you are the very ones you despise. They are 2 hour Christians, just putting on a façade for 2 hours a week.

If I met a good woman and she went to a born again church I would not only be baptized I would keep my mouth shut and not let her know I think her god is fake. Gotta get that pussy. And besides, I can live with her having this one fault.

Mistakes Atheists Make

There are a lot of people who go to church for the social aspect and don't believe in god.

Oh yea, and as far as me not telling my new girlfriend I'm an atheist until much later in the relationship.

Ray Rice said he was a christian. He should have also told his fiancee that he likes to knock women the fuck out. But he didn't. That's why you need to date someone for a long time before you decide to get serious. The guy could turn out to be abusive or even worse, an atheist!

Mistakes Atheists Make

There are a lot of people who go to church for the social aspect and don't believe in god.

Oh yea, and as far as me not telling my new girlfriend I'm an atheist until much later in the relationship.

Ray Rice said he was a christian. He should have also told his fiancee that he likes to knock women the fuck out. But he didn't. That's why you need to date someone for a long time before you decide to get serious. The guy could turn out to be abusive or even worse, an atheist!

That is why I have always thought that you should have knock down sweaty sex and a nasty fight before you get married

BTW, I've got a soft tail just like yours. I've tweaked it out a bit with a cowling and bags, but its even the same color. Rides like a dream.

Well, not to put too fine a point on it, but this "soft tail" is a bit softer, since I dropped my bike crossing a speed bump 10 days ago, and landed on my ass, and then spent 5 hours in an emergency room getting morphine injections.....

1) Defining atheism
In the golden age of atheism (late 1800's) atheism was generally held to be "the doctrine or belief that there is no God". Today some atheists prefer to define atheism as merely "lack of belief in God". While I appreciate the intellectual retreat the new definition represents, this new definition is illogical. According to the 2nd definition those who know or think there is a God are atheists, which is absurd.

2) Burden of proof
Atheists often say theists must shoulder the burden of proof since theists claim there is a God. However, atheists are also making a claim: theism is an ill-considered position. So atheists should also bear the burden of proof.

3) Radical skepticism
Some atheists are radical skeptics, but radical skepticism is self-defeating. As Wittgenstein said: “If you tried to doubt everything you would not get as far as doubting anything. The game of doubting itself presupposes certainty.”

4) Hard materialism
Can atheists prove only the material world exists?

5) Atheism and tolerance
According to one estimate over 25 million Christians died from secular antireligious violence in the 20th century.
Psychology Religion and Spirituality - James M. Nelson - Google Books

6) Atheism and happiness
BBC NEWS Health Religion linked to happy life

7) Atheists' recurring intellectual cowardice and laziness
Atheists seem eager to ridicule the least educated while avoiding the most educated Christians.
Atheists The Origin of the Species by Nick Spencer reviewed.

Burden of proof lies with the one asserting a positive position as with "God exists." The atheists' reply "prove it" doesn't assume any burden of evidence.

1) Defining atheism
In the golden age of atheism (late 1800's) atheism was generally held to be "the doctrine or belief that there is no God". Today some atheists prefer to define atheism as merely "lack of belief in God". While I appreciate the intellectual retreat the new definition represents, this new definition is illogical. According to the 2nd definition those who know or think there is a God are atheists, which is absurd.

2) Burden of proof
Atheists often say theists must shoulder the burden of proof since theists claim there is a God. However, atheists are also making a claim: theism is an ill-considered position. So atheists should also bear the burden of proof.

3) Radical skepticism
Some atheists are radical skeptics, but radical skepticism is self-defeating. As Wittgenstein said: “If you tried to doubt everything you would not get as far as doubting anything. The game of doubting itself presupposes certainty.”

4) Hard materialism

5) Atheism and tolerance
According to one estimate over 25 million Christians died from secular antireligious violence in the 20th century.

6) Atheism and happiness

Atheists seem eager to ridicule the least educated while avoiding the most educated Christians.

Burden of proof lies with the one asserting a positive position as with "God exists." The atheists' reply "prove it" doesn't assume any burden of evidence.

Asking for proof of a negative is a ploy to dodge the burden of proof for an affirmative statement

The biggest mistake atheists make is the same mistake that most theists make. Hardly anyone has investigated what gods really are.

1) Defining atheism

2) Burden of proof

3) Radical skepticism

4) Hard materialism

5) Atheism and tolerance

6) Atheism and happiness

I can fly

Prove it

Prove that I can't

The biggest mistake atheists make is the same mistake that most theists make. Hardly anyone has investigated what gods really are.

Really? Seems like we've been investigating for 150,000 years. Also, anytime we tried to investigate we were tried and found guilty of heresy and ex communicated from our communities. Theists said "Here is the story and you must believe this story or burn in hell or die". They presented those stories as facts. In other words, everything we know about god(s) so far has been a lie. The Greek Gods, him visiting Noah, Moses, Jesus or Adam or Mohammad or Joseph Smith. So what we have are all lies/stories/legends/fairy tales. Or we have people who believe in generic god because they know the stories are all lies too but they just can't believe there is no creator. That's all. That's all we have on god. NOTHING.

Science has investigated what god(s) really are. They are something we invented in our brains when we were very primitive frightened superstitious but also imaginative creatures. Humans have always wondered what happens after they die. What happens to the fish after you kill it or the worm you use to catch the fish?

Just because you can't imagine something doesn't mean it isn't true and just because you imagine something doesn't make it true.

Agnostic Atheism is the only rational position to have. No one knows but based on the evidence, probably not.

Really? Seems like we've been investigating for 150,000 years. Also, anytime we tried to investigate we were tried and found guilty of heresy and ex communicated from our communities. Theists said "Here is the story and you must believe this story or burn in hell or die". They presented those stories as facts. In other words, everything we know about god(s) so far has been a lie. The Greek Gods, him visiting Noah, Moses, Jesus or Adam or Mohammad or Joseph Smith. So what we have are all lies/stories/legends/fairy tales. Or we have people who believe in generic god because they know the stories are all lies too but they just can't believe there is no creator. That's all. That's all we have on god. NOTHING.

Science has investigated what god(s) really are. They are something we invented in our brains when we were very primitive frightened superstitious but also imaginative creatures. Humans have always wondered what happens after they die. What happens to the fish after you kill it or the worm you use to catch the fish?

Just because you can't imagine something doesn't mean it isn't true and just because you imagine something doesn't make it true.

Agnostic Atheism is the only rational position to have. No one knows but based on the evidence, probably not.

It seems like mostly atheists just dismiss the concept. They write gods off as 'not real', or 'invented'.

"They are something we invented in our brains when we were very primitive frightened superstitious but also imaginative creatures."

Well, I think it's debatable which came first, us or god, but I agree that gods are mental constructs. But here's the thing: so are we. Human consciousness - unless you go with some supernatural explanation - appears to be a special kind of software, housed as encoded information in a brain.

Forum List

Back