MASSACHUSETTS TOWN WEIGHS NATION'S 1ST TOBACCO BAN

I hate smoking, but I don't think the government should be banning a legal product. I also feel that marijuana should be legal too. It's not the government's decision what people take into their own bodies.

CVS Pharmacy capitalizes on ads showing that they stop selling cigarettes but they sell beer and wine and freaking prescription drugs.

Nothing wrong with that, its a marketing decision. Its when governments decide that something is bad for us that there are issues.

This ban evokes associations with this Stallone movie Demolition Man... At first they forbid cigarettes (because they are harmful for your health), then they come to a conclusion that sexual intercourse and curse words also spoil the organism of a human...
I certainly dislike this initiative, it seems to me not very healthy...

"To my knowledge, it would be the first in the nation to enact a total ban," said Thomas Carr, director of national policy at the American Lung Association. "We commend the town for doing it."

I have no problem with the ALA position, they're advocates so I can excuse them from the requirement of having a balanced position and totally disregarding the issue of liberty.

I was curious though about what their position was on marijuana and found this:

Marijuana smoke contains a greater amount of carcinogens than tobacco smoke. In addition, marijuana users usually inhale more deeply and hold their breath longer than tobacco smokers do, further increasing the lungs exposure to carcinogenic smoke. Marijuana use is not only associated with adverse physical effects, but also mental, emotional and behavioral changes.

People who smoke marijuana frequently, but do not smoke tobacco, have more health problems and miss more days of work than nonsmokers. Many of these extra sick days are due to respiratory illnesses.

Patients considering using marijuana for medicinal purposes should make this decision in consultation with their doctor, and consider means of administration other than smoking.
From this position it follows that the ALA should be even more deeply opposed to marijuana legalization and it appears that this is their official position. What I find odd is that I've personally not come across such statements from them. Has anyone seen their spokesmen making such statements? Or is this more about media shaping the story by seeking out ALA quotes on smoking bans but neglecting to contact ALA for their statement on MJ legalization?

Forum List

Back