Beverage giants Coke and Pepsi driving worldwide plastic crisis, study claims

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I can remember as a little kid in the 80s being able to buy six or eight packs of soda in glass bottles. Earlier than that milk used to come in glass bottles. What changed? Is it the cost of production?

The single biggest corporate source of branded plastic pollution was the Coca-Cola Company, which accounted for a whopping 11 percent of all branded plastic waste recorded in the global survey. PepsiCo came in second at five percent, followed by Nestlé (3%), Danone (3%), and Altria — one of the world’s largest producers and marketers of tobacco, cigarettes, and related products (2%).

In total, those five companies were responsible for nearly one-quarter (24%) of all the branded plastic pollution documented worldwide over the five-year study. Taking a deeper dive into the world’s litter problem, just 56 companies produced over half of the plastic pollution identified in the audits.

I can remember as a little kid in the 80s being able to buy six or eight packs of soda in glass bottles. Earlier than that milk used to come in glass bottles. What changed? Is it the cost of production?

The single biggest corporate source of branded plastic pollution was the Coca-Cola Company, which accounted for a whopping 11 percent of all branded plastic waste recorded in the global survey. PepsiCo came in second at five percent, followed by Nestlé (3%), Danone (3%), and Altria — one of the world’s largest producers and marketers of tobacco, cigarettes, and related products (2%).

In total, those five companies were responsible for nearly one-quarter (24%) of all the branded plastic pollution documented worldwide over the five-year study. Taking a deeper dive into the world’s litter problem, just 56 companies produced over half of the plastic pollution identified in the audits.

You are giving away your age, milk in glass bottles :)

Beer comes in glass bottles for several reasons...
1) Beer hates light. Contrary to popular belief that skunking is caused by temperature change, beer skunks when it is exposed to light long term. (Like sitting on a store shelf under 24 hour bright lights.)
Thus the dark bottles.
2) Beer loses it's carbonation very fast. And thin, plastic bottles cause beer to lose more carbonation than glass.
3) Beer hates rough edges. Glass is smoother than plastic. Even microscopic scratches on plastic walls will cause beer to go flat.

I am a serious beer nerd, what can I say.

Bring back glass bottles. Things taste better out of them. I funded half my childhood walking ditches looking for returnable bottles. Between that and walking VFW, Elks, and Moose lodge parking lots every Saturday and Sunday morning, I was always flush with cash. Lol, those drunks would reach into their pockets for their keys and cash would fall to the ground.

Bring back glass bottles. Things taste better out of them. I funded half my childhood walking ditches looking for returnable bottles. Between that and walking VFW, Elks, and Moose lodge parking lots every Saturday and Sunday morning, I was always flush with cash. Lol, those drunks would reach into their pockets for their keys and cash would fall to the ground.
As did I... me and my best friend pulled a wagon and would walk around fields along roads and usually hit paydirt in a local park trash bins.
Here it was $.05 a bottle. We would get a couple bucks - and in the early-mid 70s, $2 bought a kid a lot.
We could buy a couple sodas and several packs of baseball cards. That is how I got most of the baseball cards I had.

Beer comes in glass bottles for several reasons...
1) Beer hates light. Contrary to popular belief that skunking is caused by temperature change, beer skunks when it is exposed to light long term. (Like sitting on a store shelf under 24 hour bright lights.)
Thus the dark bottles.
2) Beer loses it's carbonation very fast. And thin, plastic bottles cause beer to lose more carbonation than glass.
3) Beer hates rough edges. Glass is smoother than plastic. Even microscopic scratches on plastic walls will cause beer to go flat.

I am a serious beer nerd, what can I say.
Homebrewer here, very accurate info....

As did I... me and my best friend pulled a wagon and would walk around fields along roads and usually hit paydirt in a local park trash bins.
Here it was $.05 a bottle. We would get a couple bucks - and in the early-mid 70s, $2 bought a kid a lot.
We could buy a couple sodas and several packs of baseball cards. That is how I got most of the baseball cards I had.
Lol, they were 10 cent here at the same time. I had almost the same program. Spent on the same stuff. I can remember how happy I was making my own money. How those sodas and baseball cards made me feel. Now kids have smart phoned and video games and are not even happy with that. The simple pleasures are the best. That same kid from way back then is still my best friend. He lives two hours away but has a camper up here on lake Erie. I spend my days off during the summer fishing with him. We talk about that wagon from time to time. I would go back and do it all over again!

Cheaper, more durable.

Milk still comes in glass for some manufacturers
We get it that way from time to time when my better half decides to pop into an old school market to pick up things. Old school market would probably poop a brick if I ever rolled back up in there wanting the $3 deposit on all those glass bottle back though.

Homebrewer here, very accurate info....
Me too... for over 20 years.
Went AG brewing way back, but when I saw BIAB - I never looked back.
I have the bag on a pulley, and made ventilation out of a giant metal mixing bowl.

This is my "brew house"... a small building on our property

578784-IMG-0556.jpg

Forum List

Back