Liberals And Learning: Oil And Water

I mean, this my team your team gotcha kinda bullshit can be fun and all, but it's also very sad and sometimes.....SOMEtimes, it's scary.

The most conservative state in the Union is Mississippi.

Maybe the author of this thread can cut and paste some material showing us how much better Mississippi's school systems must be, compared to, let's say,

an ultra-liberal state like Massachusetts.

Um......"ultra-liberal state like MA?"

I thought there was a "Widespread Conservative Movement?"

:oops-28:

PoliticalChic was homeschooled in a dungeon. Cut her some slack.

Of course rightwingers don't like any liberal influence in the educational system; duh, they don't like liberal influence in anything.

Of bloods & crips, is one "side" morally justified in its killings and drug dealing?

Politics is kind of the same way.

You don't point out the absurdity of a partisan-plagued world-view by spiddling the same leaves of different colors and calling it a win.

Well, if you've decided that no one is right, what's left?
The person who doesnt pledge allegiance to a predetermined set of views but instead is pragmatic enough to see that the rational answers usually lay somewhere in the middle.

Once you take up for a side, your view becomes warped necessarily as everything you read and interpret, whether you're strong or weak willed to an extent, is colored through that lens.

There is no greater example than our dumb-assed op here.

I don't take up for a side. I believe in what I believe in on the merits.

PC has had a bad week with fauxrage.

Not sure she's being faux, I think she lives in an actual bunker. Who else spends as much time as she does quote mining others' thoughts into incoherent pseudo jargain?

Hopefully, the bitch gets paid. Else, :eek-52:
I can't see this level of outrage from her as being real, therefore it must be false. I hope she' getting paid as well, but her employer certainly isn't getting their money's worth.

One day I expect her to take a few simple facts, like the sky is blue, the earth spins, dirt is dirty, and people shop at Walmart, and come up with some way to say all those things are bad and it is the fault of liberals.

:lol:

"I can't see..."

Oh, how true that is!

Maybe the author of this thread can cut and paste some material showing us how much better Mississippi's school systems must be, compared to, let's say,

Um......"ultra-liberal state like MA?"

I thought there was a "Widespread Conservative Movement?"

:oops-28:

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I mean, this my team your team gotcha kinda bullshit can be fun and all, but it's also very sad and sometimes.....SOMEtimes, it's scary.

It gives the Partisan Teams a simplicity that comforts them: Good Nazis, Loyal Comrades.

They don't need to worry about deep thoughts that would trouble them if they were intelligent enough to have them.

Funny thin is, I've raised kids for 30 years and I have yet to see much difference in what is taught, just that the timetable was moved up a year or two. When I was in 8th grade(1975) We had to learn Algebra.. My first son had to learn it in 7th(1992)..Today my 12 year old son is in 6th grade and learning Algebra..
Miss Coulter needs to get away from her glass house and try living like the majority of Americans do...if she wants to write anything that actually resembles what really goes on in the US, and not the occasional bumps humans have...that gets exploited for political points..
Have you sat in a classroom in the last 30 years?

You must know by now how much I enjoy showing you to be a fool...

...thanks for this opportunity:

"...an ultra-liberal state like Massachusetts."

Voter Registration Rates (1965 vs. 1988)

March 1965

November 1988

Black

White

Gap

Black

White

Gap

Alabama

Georgia

Louisiana

Mississippi

North Carolina

South Carolina

Virginia

[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Voting Rights Act Of 1965 - Intro C

2. "Do you know which state has the worst ratio of white voter turnout to African-American voter turnout? Massachusetts. Do you know what has the best, where African-American turnout actually exceeds white turnout? Mississippi."
John Robertson Wednesday, February 27th, 2013 in a Supreme Court oral argument

Gotta love them Liberals!

PC has had a bad week with fauxrage.

Not sure she's being faux, I think she lives in an actual bunker. Who else spends as much time as she does quote mining others' thoughts into incoherent pseudo jargain?

Hopefully, the bitch gets paid. Else, :eek-52:
I can't see this level of outrage from her as being real, therefore it must be false. I hope she' getting paid as well, but her employer certainly isn't getting their money's worth.

One day I expect her to take a few simple facts, like the sky is blue, the earth spins, dirt is dirty, and people shop at Walmart, and come up with some way to say all those things are bad and it is the fault of liberals.

:lol:

I believe she's done that just this week. See: this thread we're in now.

So, you're the moth and my threads are the flame?

Know what happened to the moth who got too close to the flame?

Yup....you got burned!

What a huge error to allow Liberals to control the public education system.....education is not in their plan.
The decline began when Liberals took control of the schools.

Another fact....a strong argument can be made that the quality of education provided varies inversely with the taxpayer money ladled into the system.

When, exactly, did the public decide that, rather than reading, writing, and 'rithmetic, producing little Progressive automatons was what was required?

I cut out most of the meaningless noise that typically accompanies your little partisan rants about "Liberals."

Your first ridiculous comment is, "Liberals took control of the schools."

Schools in the USA are governed by LOCAL entities. To a greater or lesser extent, the State government may exert some influence, but the Federal Government has very little to do with curriculum. While some States and Local communities might have more "Liberal" interpretations of the US Constitution, some States and Local Communities have more "Conservative" interpretations. MOST interpretations are a mix: Thus, it is Absurd to claim "Liberals took control of the schools."

Liberals took control of the system.

The fact that you don't know this is hardly out of character for you.....there is so much you don't know.

See, this is why I don't waste much time trying to have an intelligent conversation with you.

Clearly you have no concept about the argument you're pretending to advance, and rather that defend your absurd notions, you simply repeat them along with some cut-n-paste nonsense that more often than not is irrelevant.

Keep Croaking and Chirping

funny_frog_picture_10.jpg

"See, this is why I don't waste much time trying to have an intelligent conversation with you."

Nah....the reason is that you want to....but don't have the intellect to do it.

In fact, you're like the eunuch in the harem...."He wants to, but he just can't."

Funny thin is, I've raised kids for 30 years and I have yet to see much difference in what is taught, just that the timetable was moved up a year or two. When I was in 8th grade(1975) We had to learn Algebra.. My first son had to learn it in 7th(1992)..Today my 12 year old son is in 6th grade and learning Algebra..
Miss Coulter needs to get away from her glass house and try living like the majority of Americans do...if she wants to write anything that actually resembles what really goes on in the US, and not the occasional bumps humans have...that gets exploited for political points..

I have.

I agree. Moonglow has very accurately described the progression of teaching Math in the past 30 years.

There are different techniques for teaching Math. E.g. in 1975 Computers couldn't be used to teach, but Algebra itself hasn't changed since Babylonians began using it.

What a huge error to allow Liberals to control the public education system.....education is not in their plan.
The decline began when Liberals took control of the schools.

Another fact....a strong argument can be made that the quality of education provided varies inversely with the taxpayer money ladled into the system.

When, exactly, did the public decide that, rather than reading, writing, and 'rithmetic, producing little Progressive automatons was what was required?

I cut out most of the meaningless noise that typically accompanies your little partisan rants about "Liberals."

Your first ridiculous comment is, "Liberals took control of the schools."

Schools in the USA are governed by LOCAL entities. To a greater or lesser extent, the State government may exert some influence, but the Federal Government has very little to do with curriculum. While some States and Local communities might have more "Liberal" interpretations of the US Constitution, some States and Local Communities have more "Conservative" interpretations. MOST interpretations are a mix: Thus, it is Absurd to claim "Liberals took control of the schools."

Liberals took control of the system.

The fact that you don't know this is hardly out of character for you.....there is so much you don't know.

See, this is why I don't waste much time trying to have an intelligent conversation with you.

Clearly you have no concept about the argument you're pretending to advance, and rather that defend your absurd notions, you simply repeat them along with some cut-n-paste nonsense that more often than not is irrelevant.

Keep Croaking and Chirping

funny_frog_picture_10.jpg

"See, this is why I don't waste much time trying to have an intelligent conversation with you."

Nah....the reason is that you want to....but don't have the intellect to do it.

In fact, you're like the eunuch in the harem...."He wants to, but he just can't."

:blahblah:

Does anyone think that if there are nations around the world who are doing better in education than the US, that it's because their educational systems are run by conservatives?

Name those countries.
Oh my, don't bring rationality into the thread. :lol:

"Mark Schneider, a former commissioner of education statistics at the Department of Education, the United States lags behind too many countries in “overall mathematics performance and in the performance of our best students.” And achievement gaps between different student groups within the United States, Schneider says, are “about the same size or even bigger than the gap between the United States and the top-performing countries in TIMSS.”
Sandra Stotsky

Who Needs Mathematicians for Math, Anyway?

The ed schools' pedagogy adds up to trouble.

13 November 2009

Who Needs Mathematicians for Math Anyway by Sandra Stotsky City Journal 13 November 2009

Sandra Stotsky is a professor of education reform at the University of Arkansas and holds the 21st Century Chair in Teacher Quality.

You must know by now how much I enjoy showing you to be a fool...

...thanks for this opportunity:

"...an ultra-liberal state like Massachusetts."

Voter Registration Rates (1965 vs. 1988)
March 1965November 1988
BlackWhiteGap BlackWhiteGap
Alabama19.369.268.475.06.6
Georgia27.462.656.863.97.1
Louisiana31.680.577.175.1-2.0
Mississippi6.769.974.280.56.3
North Carolina46.896.858.265.67.4
South Carolina37.375.756.761.85.1
Virginia38.361.163.868.54.7
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The Voting Rights Act Of 1965 - Intro C

2. "Do you know which state has the worst ratio of white voter turnout to African-American voter turnout? Massachusetts. Do you know what has the best, where African-American turnout actually exceeds white turnout? Mississippi."
John Robertson Wednesday, February 27th, 2013 in a Supreme Court oral argument

Gotta love them Liberals!

Two observations:

1. No sane person thinks that Massachusetts is not a liberal state.

2. The above PC post is the strangest argument one can ever imagine to try to prove the insane notion that Massachusetts is not a liberal state.

Does anyone think that if there are nations around the world who are doing better in education than the US, that it's because their educational systems are run by conservatives?

Name those countries.
Oh my, don't bring rationality into the thread. :lol:

"Mark Schneider, a former commissioner of education statistics at the Department of Education, the United States lags behind too many countries in “overall mathematics performance and in the performance of our best students.” And achievement gaps between different student groups within the United States, Schneider says, are “about the same size or even bigger than the gap between the United States and the top-performing countries in TIMSS.”
Sandra Stotsky

Who Needs Mathematicians for Math, Anyway?

The ed schools' pedagogy adds up to trouble.

13 November 2009

Who Needs Mathematicians for Math Anyway by Sandra Stotsky City Journal 13 November 2009

Sandra Stotsky is a professor of education reform at the University of Arkansas and holds the 21st Century Chair in Teacher Quality.

The question was, which countries are doing better than the US because their educational systems are more conservative?

PoliticalChic was homeschooled in a dungeon. Cut her some slack.

Of course rightwingers don't like any liberal influence in the educational system; duh, they don't like liberal influence in anything.

Of bloods & crips, is one "side" morally justified in its killings and drug dealing?

Politics is kind of the same way.

You don't point out the absurdity of a partisan-plagued world-view by spiddling the same leaves of different colors and calling it a win.

Well, if you've decided that no one is right, what's left?
The person who doesnt pledge allegiance to a predetermined set of views but instead is pragmatic enough to see that the rational answers usually lay somewhere in the middle.

Once you take up for a side, your view becomes warped necessarily as everything you read and interpret, whether you're strong or weak willed to an extent, is colored through that lens.

There is no greater example than our dumb-assed op here.

I don't take up for a side. I believe in what I believe in on the merits.

I disagree.

It's the antithesis of pragmatism, you parade around as an "anti," instead of a pro. It's a good indication.

That merely proves you are blind.

Actually, no, Moonglow is correct.

Unless there's something about Math that you know that I don't (Frankly, I doubt this is possible) the subject hasn't changed much during the past 1000 years.

What a moron.

" In 1989, the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), the chief professional organization for mathematics educators and education faculty, issued Curriculum and Evaluation Standards for School Mathematics. The document presented standards for grades K–12, including algebra. The underlying goals of the standards—never made clear to the general public—were social, not academic. Some of the report’s authors, for example, sought to make mathematics “accessible” to low-achieving students, yet meant by this not, say, recruiting more talented undergraduates into teaching but instead the employment of trendy, though empirically unsupported, pedagogical and organizational methods that essentially dumb down math content. Math educators proclaimed a brand-new objective—conveniently indefinable and immeasurable—called “deep conceptual understanding.”
Who Needs Mathematicians for Math Anyway by Sandra Stotsky City Journal 13 November 2009f

Liberals.....the reason the United States has fallen behind.

I have.

I agree. Moonglow has very accurately described the progression of teaching Math in the past 30 years.

There are different techniques for teaching Math. E.g. in 1975 Computers couldn't be used to teach, but Algebra itself hasn't changed since Babylonians began using it.
Math isn't the only thing taught in our schools.

Forum List

Back