WOW! That was a eyeopener....Why everyone needs school choice vouchers

methinks i'm confused betwixt 'voucher' and 'school choice' here..... :oops: ...S~
You hope for the first one to do the second one. ;)

School choice is a term for education options that allow students and families to select alternatives to public schools. It is the subject of fierce debate in various state legislatures across the United States.

The Collective, are you Borg?

That says all I need to know and don't even try to claim that you support private schools.

You have been half-ass dancing around that issue every time it comes up.....Collective indeed. :laughing0301:

What do you think tax money IS?

I can't say.

It's unbelievable to me that PRIVATE BUSINESSES cannot discriminate against customers based on, say, disability or race--but you think private schools who take PUBLIC MONEY will be able to discriminate based on disability, etc. Dude. No.

This morning I stopped by one of the pawn shops in town which also happens to be the political hub of the town/county and a county supervisor was in there talking about public school funding. The school board asking for more, yada, yada, yada. I believe the conversation started over a proposed county tax increase.

I was looking at a older 20 gauge Remington shotgun and listening in and during the conversation the supervisor mentioned that 24.7% of the school-aged children of my county were either in private schools or being homeschooled.....I had no idea it was that high!

By and by my opinion was asked for and I told the supervisor that it was a damn shame that the parents of that 24.7% did not get vouchers to help with the cost of their kid's education. I told him that I put my kids and a grandkid through private schools and I damn sure could have used the financial help I had paid taxes for.

He looked all appalled and started in on the guilt trip about supporting public schools and I got a bit pissed and told him that a real man looks after his first, all else after, and that vouchers should be used to educate all kids in the way their parents choose, not just in the way the state chooses.

To be fair our schools have improved a lot and are in the top 20% of Virginia schools but about 1200 kid's parents are being shortchanged as far a funding for their education goes.

It's not like I was suggesting they get anything anything extra, just for a voucher for what they spend per student on the public schooled kids.....After all the parents are paying taxes that they see nothing for.
1306659_ful.jpg

That is the law in several states with vouchers. You would need to check each individual state, but I believe you will find that is the case with most voucher programs as it prevents discrimination against special needs kids.

When it goes to the SC all private schools who accept public money will be forced to take special needs kids. Already happened at the college level; that's why Hillsdale accepts no federal money. You accept the money; you accept the conditions

If you don't know just say so.

I know common sense is lacking in today's world but I'm having a hard time visualizing that if a parent uses a voucher how a private school, much less a home school, would have to be burdened.

The funds (in whatever form they might take) are not issued to a school but to a parent.

Funny how some would deny a taxpayer's "fair share" as far as educating their minor children yet burden them with paying off college loans of other's adult kids.

Okay someone brought up EBT cards. That's not the recipient's money; it's "collective" money, or taxpayer money. And guess what? It comes with conditions. You can't buy alcohol with it, or cigarettes, etc, etc.

I just don't know where you get the idea that the feds can give anyone money "no strings attached". Do we live in the same nation?

Four states out of 50?!?

Regardless, State money -which is what vouchers are- will always eventually come with State strings attached.....Those schools are taking the EBT cards, and will sooner-or-later be made to teach The State's perverted curricula.

I'm not concerned with the curriculum. I think that will be mostly left to parent choice. But they WILL be forced to accept students in "protected classes". Let me tell you about some of those kids these days....

Okay someone brought up EBT cards. That's not the recipient's money; it's "collective" money, or taxpayer money. And guess what? It comes with conditions. You can't buy alcohol with it, or cigarettes, etc, etc.

I just don't know where you get the idea that the feds can give anyone money "no strings attached". Do we live in the same nation?
Vouchers are handled by the state that approves them, not the feds.

If you live in a retarded nanny state I suspect you are correct.

If you live in a state that values educational freedom....Maybe not so much.

I've not taken a deep dive into the four states that have them for all K-12 students but I suspect the rules are as varied as the states themselves but so far it seems the only thing that is different are the amounts allowed for each student.

I love how you people are so outdated that you think schools still use textbooks! I was a teacher up until 2018. I had not taught from a textbook since about 2012.
And that is a problem. My daughter used my old textbooks for her chemistry class and did far superior to the other students.

Heaven forbid she actually knows how to use the Periodic Table.

Textbooks are far too expensive anymore for the kids to destroy.
They are only expensive because the publishers make them that way.

To be frank, the older textbooks are far superior to the new ones, and by a very large margin.

They are only expensive because the publishers make them that way.

To be frank, the older textbooks are far superior to the new ones, and by a very large margin.
The point you missed is there are no older textbooks. They were destroyed by the students. There was no incentive to care for them and no consequences for destroying them, or failing to return them.

The point you missed is there are no older textbooks. They were destroyed by the students. There was no incentive to care for them and no consequences for destroying them, or failing to return them.
The point you miss, is, yeah, there are. Used book stores have them still. If a book costs 200 bucks you think there is no incentive to keep them?

Are you nuts?

I have every textbook I have ever had. Including my old 1927 LA High School chemistry textbook.

Which is orders of magnitude better than the college textbooks of today.

My parents struggled to put five of us through Catholic School (even though two of us are atheists now).

Here's why vouchers won't be the cure-all that you all think it will be.

Private schools are successful because 1) they can pick and choose their students and 2) since parents ARE spending their own money, they are committed to the outcome.

Vouchers didn't fix the crisis of affordable housing. Why do you think they will fix bad schools?
Nothing will fix bad schools.

Forum List

Back