James Madison thought we should live by the ten commandments

We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.

It is clear that our country was built on the morals and laws of god as the quote above from John Adams indicates.

One must wonder why the Marxist gets so upset at these facts.

Last edited:
We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge or gallantry would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution is designed only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate for any other.

It is clear that our country was built on the morals and laws of god as the quote above from John Adams indicates.

"It is clear that our country was built on the morals and laws of god as the quote above from John Adams indicates."

yes

you are right

fortunately as our country grew we began to see and understand just how WRONG god was about so many things (womens rights, gay rights, slavery)

so we made corrections!

and now we no longer have slavery
(even though god promotes and endorses slavery)

and women now have (more or less) equal rights with men
(even though god opposes this)

it is truly a wonderful thing that our forefathers gave us a country and a government that we could CHANGE as we, as a nation, and as people, became more enlightened....

it would have been a terrible thing for our forefathers to impose a government that we could NOT change...

that would have been TYRANNY

Wow...one man built the foundation for our entire country. Who'd a thunk it?

Why can't right-wingers ever tell the truth?

"It is clear that our country was built on the morals and laws of god as the quote above from John Adams indicates."

yes

you are right

fortunately as our country grew we began to see and understand just how WRONG god was about so many things (womens rights, gay rights, slavery)

so we made corrections!

it is truly a wonderful thing that our forefathers gave us a country and a government that we could CHANGE as we, as a nation, and as people, became more enlightened....

it would have been a terrible thing for our forefathers to impose a government that we could NOT change...

Thank you for the kind comment, its nice when people acknowledge when someone is right.

Now I will point out how you are wrong.

God did not make slaves nor did the USA, that was inherited by the history that preceded the creation of the USA.

You are far from enlightened. If anything you are very transparent feebly attempting to piss people off by making outragous comments that you cannot substantiate.

I see the type of enlightened society your ideas create, its called Detroit, good job.

Its people that changed, not our government, not our constitution.

God did not make slaves nor did the USA, that was inherited by the history that preceded the creation of the USA.

Slavery has been an a part of human society since the beginning and is part of the bible as well. So...in so far as God made humanity, he made slavery. Slavery was also an integral part of the creation of the USA - without slavery the southern colonies could never have been developed. To say it was "inherited by the history that preceded the creation of the USA" is just plain sillyness.

Slavery has been an a part of human society since the beginning and is part of the bible as well. So...in so far as God made humanity, he made slavery. Slavery was also an integral part of the creation of the USA - without slavery the southern colonies could never have been developed. To say it was "inherited by the history that preceded the creation of the USA" is just plain sillyness.

No, its not silly to state we inherited slavery, its simple fact, what is silly is to speculate how the USA would of developed without slavery. I prefer to discuss history and reality, not "what if".

No, its not silly to state we inherited slavery, its simple fact, what is silly is to speculate how the USA would of developed without slavery. I prefer to discuss history and reality, not "what if".

It's not "what if" - it's a matter of historical record. Malaria, yellow fever and other diseases decimated colonists in the American south. African slaves tolerated hard work in the heat and had a greater resistence to those diseases than the Europeans. The agriculture\al development that sustained the south would not have gone far without slave labor until the industrial revolution changed the status quo. That's just one example. It was not "inherited" it was part of the history of America and it's founding.

It's not "what if" - it's a matter of historical record. Malaria, yellow fever and other diseases decimated colonists in the American south. African slaves tolerated hard work in the heat and had a greater resistence to those diseases than the Europeans. The agriculture\al development that sustained the south would not have gone far without slave labor until the industrial revolution changed the status quo. That's just one example. It was not "inherited" it was part of the history of America and it's founding.

You said without slavery the southern states never would of developed, that is pure speculation on your part.

So I stand by my statement, I do not like to discuss "what ifs".

You said without slavery the southern states never would of developed, that is pure speculation on your part.

Then why are you in a thread attributing something to Madison that he never said?

:cuckoo:

You are correct - I shouldn't have stated it that way, but they would not have developed in any major way until the industrial revolution which basically erased the need for slavery or forced labor. My point still stands though - you can't simply make the excuse that our country "inherited slavery" - slavery developed it - that's history, not what if conjecture. Whether it would have developed with or without slavery is irrelevant.

Then why are you in a thread attributing something to Madison that he never said?

:cuckoo:

:lol:

yes

you are right

so we made corrections!

Thank you for the kind comment, its nice when people acknowledge when someone is right.

Now I will point out how you are wrong.

You are far from enlightened. If anything you are very transparent feebly attempting to piss people off by making outragous comments that you cannot substantiate.

I see the type of enlightened society your ideas create, its called Detroit, good job.

Its people that changed, not our government, not our constitution.

"Now I will point out how you are wrong."

"God did not make slaves nor did the USA, that was inherited by the history that preceded the creation of the USA. "

god promotes, endorses and validates slavery all through the bible

when our Founding Fathers created our nation slavery was a right.

god and our founding fathers were botth wrong about slavery.

I have no doubtthat our founding fathers can be forgiven for being wrong about slavery as they were probably just following gods orders as proclaimed throughout the bible "you MAY own and BEAT slaves and have SEX with them and you can even sell your daughter into slavery"

"You are far from enlightened. If anything you are very transparent feebly attempting to piss people off by making outragous comments that you cannot substantiate."

kinda like what you are doing now?

As a nation we are all more enlightened today than we were back when the nation was created.
Unlike in 1776 we KNOW that women and blacks and gays deserve equal rights.
we KNOW that slavery is wrong
we KNOW that all citizens deserve the right to vote

there can be no doubt that we are much more enlightened than our forefathers were.

"I see the type of enlightened society your ideas create, its called Detroit, good job."

Now
as opposed to sticking to the subject, you are merely making up lies and false accusations.

That's rather pathetic of you.

"Its people that changed, not our government, not our constitution. "

meaning what?

yes
people changed

and then we changed our laws

and we changed our interpretation of the constitution.

This is good!

It would be tyranny (and WRONG) for our forefathers (or you) to demand that we can NOT change our laws to accomodate our times.

you do oppose tyranny, no?

You are correct - I shouldn't have stated it that way, but they would not have developed in any major way until the industrial revolution which basically erased the need for slavery or forced labor. My point still stands though - you can't simply make the excuse that our country "inherited slavery" - slavery developed it - that's history, not what if conjecture. Whether it would have developed with or without slavery is irrelevant.

Its not an "excuse", slavery is simply as it was, a part of history, brought to all parts of the world not by citizens of the USA but by people of a time much different than our own. Slavery did not develop the constitution but the people who made the USA did, and its those people who set the wheels in motion that ended slavery. The founding fathers did what they could and as history shows the founding fathers were right, the result was an end of slavery in a very short time when compared to the long history of slavery. Thousands of years of slavery ended with few simple words and the brave acts of a few men.

Rikrules, you have no concept of what is in the bible or what is the constition. You are a victim of the poor educational system that exsists today. Sorry but there is nothing to comment on in your post, it is a sad example of what the Liberal/Marxist have been able to do through education.

Apparently James Madison did not believe that our civilization was to be held together by laws but by religion and the ten commandments.

"To preserve the Republic, it is in the hands of the people. We have staked the whole future of American civilization not upon the power of government, far from it. We have staked the future of all of our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government; upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments" James Madison

Too bad...we seem to keep messing up on the "though shalt not kill" part...

Actually, that's a mistranslation from the original Hebrew. It was originally written "thou shalt not MURDER", but people thought it should cover all killing, so it was changed.

Incidentally, if killing is a sin, then God Himself must be a sinner as well, because everything eventually dies.

Wanna know the real reason behind the 10 Commandments? Survival. Why should we follow them? Simple......if everyone follows them, everyone lives. I'll show you how this works......

First three Commandments were to remember exactly who God is, and to not worship anything that wasn't Him. Why? Because if you didn't, he'd reward you with the wages of sin...........i.e. death.

Fourth Commandment is "thou shalt not murder", which means don't kill each other because God doesn't want the human race to die out.

Then, they talk about everything that could cause you to kill yourself, or murder someone else.

Thou shalt not commit adultery. Why? Because if your SO, or the SO of the person you're doing it with ever found out about it, they would want to murder you.

Thou shalt not steal. Why? Simple..........if you take something from someone without paying for it, they want to come after you and kill you.

Thou shalt not covet. Why? Simple.............if you think enough about it with a great deal of jealousy, coveting will eventually cause you to go over to your neighbor, kill them, and take their stuff.

Honor thy Father and Mother. Why? Because they brought you into this world, and they can take you out.

Thou shalt not bear false witness. What does that mean? Don't lie to people, it can cause you to get killed. And one of the fastest places a lie can kill you is in the doctors office. If you are asked a question that you don't want to answer, and lie, chances are the doctor is going to treat you wrong, and you'll end up dead.

Same with mafia dons as well. They don't like lies very much when they are told to them.

And the last one, remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy. Why? Simplest of all actually..........if you work too hard without taking a break, eventually you'll start to stress and possibly will have a heart attack.

Why follow the 10 Commandments? It's a good idea as well as an excellent blueprint for the survival of the human species.

Last edited:
Incidentally, if killing is a sin, then God Himself must be a sinner as well, because everything eventually dies.

Thus Christianity is refuted by itself.

First three Commandments were to remember exactly who God is, and to not worship anything that wasn't Him. Why? Because if you didn't, he'd reward you with the wages of sin...........i.e. death.
'worship me or die'

Didn't we kill a king for that?
Fourth Commandment is "thou shalt not murder", which means don't kill each other because God doesn't want the human race to die out.
Except for newborn children of the tribes jesubites, hittites, ammonites...
Then, they talk about everything that could cause you to kill yourself, or murder someone else.
Like obeying god when he commands you to commit genocide
Thou shalt not commit adultery. Why? Because if your SO, or the SO of the person you're doing it with ever found out about it, they would want to murder you.
Cool, so it has nothing to do with it being wrong to cheat on your wife? It's more like 'thou shall not get caught?'
Thou shalt not steal. Why? Simple..........if you take something from someone without paying for it, they want to come after you and kill you.
So there's no morality involved?
Thou shalt not covet. Why? Simple.............if you think enough about it with a great deal of jealousy, coveting will eventually cause you to go over to your neighbor, kill them, and take their stuff.
If we didn't covet, we'd never produce and we'd starve.

'Wow! He has grain! I want grain! I should plant grain!'
Honor thy Father and Mother. Why? Because they brought you into this world, and they can take you out.
You're an idiot
And the last one, remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy. Why? Simplest of all actually..........if you work too hard without taking a break, eventually you'll start to stress and possibly will have a heart attack.
:eusa_eh:
Why follow the 10 Commandments? It's a good idea as well as an excellent blueprint for the survival of the human species.
not really, but don't let reality get in the way of your delusion

Forum List

Back