James Madison thought we should live by the ten commandments

Apparently James Madison did not believe that our civilization was to be held together by laws but by religion and the ten commandments.

"To preserve the Republic, it is in the hands of the people. We have staked the whole future of American civilization not upon the power of government, far from it. We have staked the future of all of our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government; upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments" James Madison

That's nice for him.

like politicians today, they did a lot of sucking up and saying what they needed to in order to get support.

mostly, as you said,nice for him... and if he even believed it, was nothing more than an opinion.

Apparently James Madison did not believe that our civilization was to be held together by laws but by religion and the ten commandments.

To preserve the Republic, it is in the hands of the people [something we need to recapture for the people] We have staked the whole future of American civilization not upon the power of government [unfortunately, the power of government has grown larger and larger, far from it. We have staked the future of all of our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government; [And we're not too damned good at governing outselves - never have - never will]upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments" James Madison

The Ten Commandments are a pretty good guideline for how we should behave.

You recommend they all become law?

Why do people make this assumption that when someone says our society should be based on the ten commandments that somehow the government should go around and force that? Did you not read the part about Madison believing in self-governance? What does that mean if you say that people should live by the ten commandments and still have the freedom to self-govern yourself? It means that the restraint that holds civilization together should of one's own choice and not coming from government. In Madison's case he believed, along with many people, that society should be based on christian values since they were christian but in no way did any of the founders believed that that shuld be imposed on people from above since that would violate their right to self-govern themselves.

In case you did not read the entire thing he said that the government was not to restrict people and that people were to be guided by their conscience. In his case it meant the ten commandments. This he chose for himself but other people may choose other things to follow. I am free not to do all the things you said a Christian should do. I should not have to explain this but it is becoming more common with people who believe in the god-like status of government.

Except Madison never said that quote.

Are you an American? If the answer is no the but out.

In case you did not read the entire thing he said that the government was not to restrict people and that people were to be guided by their conscience. In his case it meant the ten commandments. This he chose for himself but other people may choose other things to follow. I am free not to do all the things you said a Christian should do. I should not have to explain this but it is becoming more common with people who believe in the god-like status of government.

Except Madison never said that quote.

States Distancing Themselves From The Federal Government | Editorial

The Silent Majority: States Distancing Themselves From The Federal Government

10th Amendment , An Ol’ Broad’s Ramblings

That's nice for him.

like politicians today, they did a lot of sucking up and saying what they needed to in order to get support.

mostly, as you said,nice for him... and if he even believed it, was nothing more than an opinion.

You missed the point.

To preserve the Republic, it is in the hands of the people [something we need to recapture for the people] We have staked the whole future of American civilization not upon the power of government [unfortunately, the power of government has grown larger and larger, far from it. We have staked the future of all of our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government; [And we're not too damned good at governing outselves - never have - never will]upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments" James Madison

The Ten Commandments are a pretty good guideline for how we should behave.

Why do people make this assumption that when someone says our society should be based on the ten commandments that somehow the government should go around and force that? Did you not read the part about Madison believing in self-governance? What does that mean if you say that people should live by the ten commandments and still have the freedom to self-govern yourself? It means that the restraint that holds civilization together should of one's own choice and not coming from government. In Madison's case he believed, along with many people, that society should be based on christian values since they were christian but in no way did any of the founders believed that that shuld be imposed on people from above since that would violate their right to self-govern themselves.

Living by the ten commandments is not self governing, it's God doing the governing. Hence the term 'commandments'.

Those were legitmate so if you don't believe them that is your problem. I assume that if people repeat that so many times that it probably got checked along the line.

Living by the ten commandments is not self governing, it's God doing the governing. Hence the term 'commandments'.

Since we have the freedom to pursue our own religion then we are choosing what we want to believe is holy. A christian can follow the ten commandments but is always free to switch to satanism when he gets tired of those so they are self-governing themselves by their selection of their religious values to live by.

And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.

James Madison

Those were legitmate so if you don't believe them that is your problem. I assume that if people repeat that so many times that it probably got checked along the line.

You're not listening, like you, they all got them from emails.

snopes.com: Religious Symbols in the U.S. National Capital

James Madison, the fourth president, known as "The Father of Our Constitution" made the following statement "We have staked the whole of all our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to the Ten Commandments of God."

Actually, this statement appears nowhere in the writings or recorded utterances of James Madison and is completely contradictory to his character as a strong proponent of the separation of church and state.

Ignorant American.

Last edited:
And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in showing that religion and Government will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.

James Madison

The point you are trying to make does not pertain to this since no one has said that religion is to mandated on the people. All I said that the people are free to choose their religion and have that religion be the restraints that make them civilized. I can't understand how that is a threat to anyone's freedom when they can choose whatever religion they want and are free to do that under the first amendment.

Funny how the people who say the 10c are s great never mentions the punishments the bible prescribes for those who violate them...

In no instance have... the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people.

James Madison

Church was never a threat to your liberties since you can't be compelled to join one by any law and because of that you can not be compelled to abide by their edicts that might endanger your liberities.

In no instance have... the churches been guardians of the liberties of the people.

James Madison

Church was never a threat to your liberties since you can't be compelled to join one by any law and because of that you can not be compelled to abide by their edicts that might endanger your liberities.
(tell that to the pilgrims) :eusa_shhh:

That's kinda why the US exists...

☭proletarian☭;2108515 said:
How bout book, publication date, publisher, and page number?

Or document and paragraph?

With idiots, you have to take slow steps. :eusa_shhh: :lol:

☭proletarian☭;2108515 said:

Once I prove that then you will ask for the original parchment it was written on and have it carbon dated. I just don't have time for that so I am going to have to trust that people lifted these from other books that got them from other books that was orginally copied when he said them.

Forum List

Back