I love bees...

Darkwind

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2009
I really do. I plan on starting a couple of hives this coming spring.

Why do I love them? Why, for their precise navigation and flight skills, why else?

Bees are awesome.

80-percent-plants-pollination.jpg

Bees are awesome.

yes, but it is misleading to think they rely on honey bees. They are important, but it is a false narrative that we would die without them.

That being said, we need to do what we can to help them flourish and I encourage everyone to look into bee husbandry if for nothing else but to make some great honey wine with the byproduct!

Bees are awesome.

yes, but it is misleading to think they rely on honey bees. They are important, but it is a false narrative that we would die without them.

That being said, we need to do what we can to help them flourish and I encourage everyone to look into bee husbandry if for nothing else but to make some great honey wine with the byproduct!
The meme doesn't say that plants rely on bees for pollination.

Bees are awesome.

The meme doesn't say that plants rely on bees for pollination.
No, but that has been the implication -- in some cases an outright statement -- from these kinds of memes.

I'm scared of them. When one gets in my car, it's a true crisis.

One got into my long curly hair once when I was learning to drive. It was pissed it was caught in my hair and stung me a few times. Right in the middle of the road, I threw the car in park and jumped out, doing the bee dance while the guy teaching me to drive hooted and hollered about both of us being dead if another car had been behind us. I thought I had gotten rid of it, got back into the car and started driving again, only to have the little fucker sting me five more times. The second time, I did sort of pull over to the side of the road, though, before I jumped out screaming. I made the guy SHOW ME the dead bee before I would get back in the car. And I was so shook up I made him drive.

I got stung pretty bad by some hornets when I was really young. I've hated bees ever since. Granted I know that their vital to our ecosystem. My younger sister, on the other hand, will NOT let me kill a bee. I think she figures they're all Jerry Seinfeld in a bee costume.

I do love honey... and regardless as to whether or not my younger sister is around, if a bee isn't bothering me, I leave it alone. We actually probably need more bees.

I got stung pretty bad by some hornets when I was really young. I've hated bees ever since. Granted I know that their vital to our ecosystem. My younger sister, on the other hand, will NOT let me kill a bee. I think she figures they're all Jerry Seinfeld in a bee costume.

I do love honey... and regardless as to whether or not my younger sister is around, if a bee isn't bothering me, I leave it alone. We actually probably need more bees.
Today's bees are actually bred to be docile. Honey bees sting in defense of their colony, they never are aggressive. If you're getting stung, its because they consider you a threat somehow to the hive as a whole, or you have a pheromone on you that puts them in attack mode. As a beek, if you get stung in the suit or your clothing, you may not feel the sting, but the pheromone of the bees death will cling to you and serve as an alarm to the rest of the hive.

Also, dark clothing attracts them as they think you're a flower based upon their visual spectrum. I've been learning about them for about a year and the more I learn, the more I want to learn and the more I am captivated by them.

One got into my long curly hair once when I was learning to drive. It was pissed it was caught in my hair and stung me a few times. Right in the middle of the road, I threw the car in park and jumped out, doing the bee dance while the guy teaching me to drive hooted and hollered about both of us being dead if another car had been behind us. I thought I had gotten rid of it, got back into the car and started driving again, only to have the little fucker sting me five more times. The second time, I did sort of pull over to the side of the road, though, before I jumped out screaming. I made the guy SHOW ME the dead bee before I would get back in the car. And I was so shook up I made him drive.
That was not a honey bee. They sting only once and then die from it.

But I can sympathize with the sentiment. Do you happen to have dark hair?

I used to catch bees as a kid. Watch them in a jar for a bit then release them. I still love watching them move from flower to flower and I never understood why people don't educate themselves on simple things. Such as the fact, unlike a wasp, a bee won't sting you unless at extreme risk, as their stinger is hooked and they will die afterwards. Unlike a wasp who has a straight stinger for the record.

Bees can only sting you once. It's a larger stinger than wasps or yellowjackets and hurts worse, but bees' guts come out with the stinger when they sting. Bees do not sting multiple times.

I really do. I plan on starting a couple of hives this coming spring.

Why do I love them? Why, for their precise navigation and flight skills, why else?

Cracks Me up at the 0:49 mark when she comes in 'hot'. lmao

lololol. Gosh. I'm choking over here. lolol.

Forum List

Back