I love bees...

We had one hive for a few years. They are amazing. Apparently our hive was healthy, because it split every year. We'd worry that the whole hive was swarming away, and then realize half were still in the hive. Loved having bees. The honey was a tasty bonus.

Then the ungrateful bitches left.
They 'swarm' when they're hive becomes too crowded or does not have the resources to support it. They do this by creating a few 'Queen' cells to replace the leaving Queen.

When the time is right, they abscond with their Queen and leave behind a few nurse bees and a whole lot of brood in the brood box. When they hatch, they then start the cycle all over again with a new Queen.

The best way to prevent a swarm is to divide the hive, crush the queen cells, and then introduced a new queen to the new hive, one that has been mated and is ready to lay eggs!

You then have two strong hives instead of one overcrowded one.

We really only wanted one hive. And twice when they split we were able to capture the new hive and give them to other beekeepers. The other year we didn't see them until it was too late. I'm sure the new hive found a good home and kept doing what bees do.
True. Whether they swarm or abscond, they'll keep shaking their bee-thing. lol

From all the literature I have read, in order to have one good hive, you should really have two hives. Depending on where you live of course, but winters can decimate a hive. Along with varroa and nosema.

We read the same thing. Maybe thats why they bailed out on us. The best thing about bees is that they only require attention at select times, as long as you have a good location. Winters in Atlanta aren't too severe.
Yeah, winter in Georgia would be mild compared to say, New England. Then your biggest worry will be varroa. The best beeks stay out of their colonies unless they have a specific reason to be in them.

I love my diesel pusher.
upload_2018-9-9_9-28-19.jpeg

For those interested, Canada's UoG research center is one of the better ones in N. America. They have a series of videos on the husbandry of bees. Very interesting stuff.

when I was young we used to catch the really large white face bumble bees; they do not sting.

We would take a healthy length of sewing thread & wrap it around the bee, and it would fly around like a kite; that is until it ran out of power. :21:

when I was young we used to catch the really large white face bumble bees; they do not sting.

We would take a healthy length of sewing thread & wrap it around the bee, and it would fly around like a kite; that is until it ran out of power. :21:
That doesn't strike you as cruel?

What amazes me is where a hive can be found or should I say discovered. I remember hearing in the news once about a guy who pushed his lawn mower over top one not knowing that it was there in the first place. Things did not go well for him in the end.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. A wasp nest was recently found up underneath one of the window shutters of my house.

What amazes me is where a hive can be found or should I say discovered. I remember hearing in the news once about a guy who pushed his lawn mower over top one not knowing that it was there in the first place. Things did not go well for him in the end.

God bless you and his family always!!!

Holly

P.S. A wasp nest was recently found up underneath one of the window shutters of my house.
Happened to me about a month ago.............Yellow Jackets.........

They tore me up..........LOL

Worst ones got in my shoes........

I'd like to know what that thing was I let live yesterday. Shaped like a bee with a shiny dark-green thorax and a black body.

Wild honey bees are endangered because of an introduced species almost microscopic mite. I gave up raising bees ten years ago because they had to be medicated with strips that you hang in the hive. Maybe it's easier these days. When I first started with bees I read the books and I thought they would crawl into the hive once the package was opened. They crawled everywhere but the hive including up my pants leg until they settled down. The stings aren't bad.

I have honeybees, but they didn't make their own hive. Do they even do that anymore?

Forum List

Back