Homosexual marriage

This issue is one that I struggle with. I have no problem with gays marrying, although I don't believe any church should be forced to perform the marriage if it goes against their doctrine. That is a whole other story for me. It's the one issue I struggle with when it comes to my own beliefs and religion. Bottom line, I think gays should be able to marry by the laws of the state.

Here is where I have the biggest problem; I'm not comfortable with the idea of gays having children and raising them. No, I don't think the child will become gay if his/her parents are gay. I don't believe people choose to be gay, so that isn't the concern. I do believe a child should have both a mother and father however. But this brings about another problem. We already have millions of kids being raised by single parents anyway, so should this even be a concern?

I think it would be less of a concern for me if more people were accepting of gays. A child raised by a gay couple is likely to face many issues in school once their friends find out about the child's parents, and this concerns me as I feel the child is going to have a less than ideal childhood, not because of the parents themselves, but by the way others will treat them because of their parents.

Okay, I admit it; I'm still confused on this one.

As far as the state's concerned, marriage is nothing but a specific type of legal contract. For whatever reason, some people try to make it seem like marriage is all about kids. For some people it is, but there are many couples who are infertile or plan to never have kids. Gay adoption and gay marriage are not the same issue because marriage does not necessarily have anything to do with kids. Ideally marriage is about love, but that need not be a requirement either.

I have heard people say they're against gay marriage because they think churches will be required to marry them. I am not sure how that has ever been implied. Many homosexuals would likely be married by a Justice of the Peace like us atheist infidels. :)

Deny homosexuals the right to marry and you deny them a basic human freedom.

Conservatives have a deep emotional investment in keeping homosexuals repressed through the maintenance of their morals, just as they did in maintaining their moral boundaries underlying racial segregation in the Deep South a generation ago and slavery a century before that.

Conservatism is based on the "strict father" metaphor of morality, in which a wise father (church or political leader) sets the rules, and the children (the people) are disciplined to comply, thereby gaining discipline. Moral boundaries exist in society, in the conservative's view, to maintain social order and discipline, and that is their primary purpose.

Compliance to established moral boundaries implies acceptance of the legitimacy of the moral authority figures who established them, and it is this acceptance of the legitimacy of this moral authority that is viewed as the very basis of social order. Hence there is a deep investment in the legitimacy of the moral authority, often presumed to be none other than God himself.

What are your views on homosexual marraiges...are you for or against ? I really don';t care if homos get married but if it will make them happier people why not ?

There is no such thing as a basic human freedom. Try again.

Sunni,

Why is homosexuality wrong...who says it is wrong...why shouldnt they be married ?
Up till so called modern times, homosexuality was considered wrong by 99% of all socities in human history.

Blatant homosexuality is usually one of the signs that a culture is decaying and collasping.

It is a direct attack on the morals of society. The worst part is how it affects the children. The homo agenda's goal it to recurit young kids into believing sodomy is normal and a healthy lifestyle.

The most sicking thing that a parent could have happen to them. Is their teenager come and tell them that they are a homo. It's difficult to think of anything more sad or disgusting.

The government (States) should not recognize marriage of any kind. "Marriage" should remain a religious entity.

On the other hand, States should recognize "civil unions" which would be a legal contract between two individuals (humans age 18 and above) which would afford them all the rights and privileges that are currently seen in marriage.

The "civil union" would in no way be synonymus with love or sex, but would in essense be a business contract. The government is not in a position to authorize licenses of love and sex, but they are in the position to issue licenses to conduct business. Therefore, the union could be between man and woman, two men, two women, or even relatives if it suited the two individuals from a insurance/tax/property ownership point of view.

The government (States) should not recognize marriage of any kind. "Marriage" should remain a religious entity.

On the other hand, States should recognize "civil unions" which would be a legal contract between two individuals (humans age 18 and above) which would afford them all the rights and privileges that are currently seen in marriage.

The "civil union" would in no way be synonymus with love or sex, but would in essense be a business contract. The government is not in a position to authorize licenses of love and sex, but they are in the position to issue licenses to conduct business. Therefore, the union could be between man and woman, two men, two women, or even relatives if it suited the two individuals from a insurance/tax/property ownership point of view.

So I take you don't place much stock is what gay marriage opponents call preserving the sanctimony of marriage... or something like that. :D

Last edited:
This issue is one that I struggle with. I have no problem with gays marrying, although I don't believe any church should be forced to perform the marriage if it goes against their doctrine. That is a whole other story for me. It's the one issue I struggle with when it comes to my own beliefs and religion. Bottom line, I think gays should be able to marry by the laws of the state.

Here is where I have the biggest problem; I'm not comfortable with the idea of gays having children and raising them. No, I don't think the child will become gay if his/her parents are gay. I don't believe people choose to be gay, so that isn't the concern. I do believe a child should have both a mother and father however. But this brings about another problem. We already have millions of kids being raised by single parents anyway, so should this even be a concern?

I think it would be less of a concern for me if more people were accepting of gays. A child raised by a gay couple is likely to face many issues in school once their friends find out about the child's parents, and this concerns me as I feel the child is going to have a less than ideal childhood, not because of the parents themselves, but by the way others will treat them because of their parents.

Okay, I admit it; I'm still confused on this one.

As I've said before, my concern is always for the children first. I've read reports on gay parents and they do better than single parents. Let's face it, it takes TWO to make a child, it takes TWO to raise a child. I think a child needs both a father and a mother figure, but absent that, two gay parents are better than one single parent.

That's why I say when it comes to adoptions, two parent heterosexual married families first, gay families second and single people last.

However, we can't tell who to have children and who not to have children so if they have their own, they should be on their own.

As for Gay marriage, I was all for it in highschool, but then I knew everything in highschool, I don't know so much now so I'll just say I have an open mind.

Sunni,

Why is homosexuality wrong...who says it is wrong...why shouldnt they be married ?
Up till so called modern times, homosexuality was considered wrong by 99% of all socities in human history.

Blatant homosexuality is usually one of the signs that a culture is decaying and collasping.

It is a direct attack on the morals of society. The worst part is how it affects the children. The homo agenda's goal it to recurit young kids into believing sodomy is normal and a healthy lifestyle.

The most sicking thing that a parent could have happen to them. Is their teenager come and tell them that they are a homo. It's difficult to think of anything more sad or disgusting.

Really? What about the males in India who dress and act as women? They've been around for a long time.

So have the males who do Kabuki theater. And......quite a few of them are gay.

Same with the Native Americans who respected the gay members of their society.

And.....if it's a sign that they are on a downward spiral, then tell me why, when it's been so prevalent in the aforementioned societies, that those are all STILL going strong? Even in spite of the white man trying to eliminate the Native Americans.

And......probably the best examples of a good relationship didn't come from my family (my stepfather beat me and my mother and sister, and he was a good Catholic), it didn't come from the good Baptist foster family I had (they were ripping off the Casey Family foundation by sending in false receipts), but rather from Cindy and Connie, 2 ladies I was living with while I was stationed in Norfolk Va., who happened to be lesbians. Cindy had a daughter, and her daughter was probably one of the more well adjusted girls that I knew at the time. They had a nice house, lived pretty well, and were full fledged lesbians.

They had a better relationship (and their child had a very healthy attitude towards others), than most hetero couples that I know.

Nope......Try again ya biased bastards.

Sunni,

This is hardly the issue here.

I could give a rats ass if Whobob Johnson wants to marry Dick Masters , or if Jane Dildo wants to have a box lunch at the "Y".

The problem is that there are special rights granted to married individuals...period. As soon as money (Taxes) becomes involved....people will have complaints regarding the "Morality" of the issue.

Less or no government involvement in our lives (Marriage)....equals a non-issue here.

No one should be required to perform a gay marriage , nor should anyone be denied the right to a gay marriage. No one needs to know that I am married unless I want them to.

You stupid liberals are attacking this issue from the wrong angle......de-politicize marriage(if thats a word) and you are good to go. Stop relying on your inept government to help you......

The Bass is against sodomite marriage because just like all thing degenerated by liberals the sacredness of marriage will erode even further and gay marriages would do this to real God sanctioned marriages:

314bgvn.jpg

This is thee vil that gay marriage does.

Deny homosexuals the right to marry and you deny them a basic human freedom.

Conservatives have a deep emotional investment in keeping homosexuals repressed through the maintenance of their morals, just as they did in maintaining their moral boundaries underlying racial segregation in the Deep South a generation ago and slavery a century before that.

Conservatism is based on the "strict father" metaphor of morality, in which a wise father (church or political leader) sets the rules, and the children (the people) are disciplined to comply, thereby gaining discipline. Moral boundaries exist in society, in the conservative's view, to maintain social order and discipline, and that is their primary purpose.

Compliance to established moral boundaries implies acceptance of the legitimacy of the moral authority figures who established them, and it is this acceptance of the legitimacy of this moral authority that is viewed as the very basis of social order. Hence there is a deep investment in the legitimacy of the moral authority, often presumed to be none other than God himself.

What are your views on homosexual marraiges...are you for or against ? I really don';t care if homos get married but if it will make them happier people why not ?

curious.....i have two gay liberal friends that don't believe gays should be allowed to marry.....civil union fine....but not marriage.....adn they ain't religious either.....

The Bass is against sodomite marriage because just like all thing degenerated by liberals the sacredness of marriage will erode even further and gay marriages would do this to real God sanctioned marriages:

314bgvn.jpg

This is thee vil that gay marriage does.

You're still here? Craaaaaaaap. I knew your lack of presense for any extended period of time was too good to be true.

I don't understand why anyone who's not gay would give a shit, to be honest.

I don't either.

We who are not gay and are the majority don't want our communities and society to get "fagged up" by people who are dead serious about making their lifestyle just as normal as those who are not gay. The more that society gets fagged up the more society will devalue religion and God and instead will value anal sex and ejaculation of semen and fecal matter.

Why is marriage anyones buisiness???

Marriage is whatever people want it to be.....if Neil and Bob want to get married....how is this wrong??

What's wrong is that (Marriage , Birth , Death , Ownership of things , etc etc etc) is monitored by our government , and thereby controlled to a degree.

I really wish people would stop selling , giving away others freedoms to further their agenda's and political gains.

Forum List

Back