Homosexual marriage

The government (States) should not recognize marriage of any kind. "Marriage" should remain a religious entity.

On the other hand, States should recognize "civil unions" which would be a legal contract between two individuals (humans age 18 and above) which would afford them all the rights and privileges that are currently seen in marriage.

The "civil union" would in no way be synonymus with love or sex, but would in essense be a business contract. The government is not in a position to authorize licenses of love and sex, but they are in the position to issue licenses to conduct business. Therefore, the union could be between man and woman, two men, two women, or even relatives if it suited the two individuals from a insurance/tax/property ownership point of view.

I agree with you completely. As is if you do all of the proper paperwork homosexual or straight, you can basically recieve all of the same benefits. Keep a copy of the paper work with you when you travel in case, heaven forbid, there was an accident and someone ended up hospitalized, it is the responsible move anyways.

The title of marriage though is a covenant between you and God. States gave the legal title marriage because, lets be honest, this country was founded on religion.

The government (States) should not recognize marriage of any kind. "Marriage" should remain a religious entity.

On the other hand, States should recognize "civil unions" which would be a legal contract between two individuals (humans age 18 and above) which would afford them all the rights and privileges that are currently seen in marriage.

The "civil union" would in no way be synonymus with love or sex, but would in essense be a business contract. The government is not in a position to authorize licenses of love and sex, but they are in the position to issue licenses to conduct business. Therefore, the union could be between man and woman, two men, two women, or even relatives if it suited the two individuals from a insurance/tax/property ownership point of view.

I agree with you completely. As is if you do all of the proper paperwork homosexual or straight, you can basically recieve all of the same benefits. Keep a copy of the paper work with you when you travel in case, heaven forbid, there was an accident and someone ended up hospitalized, it is the responsible move anyways.

The title of marriage though is a covenant between you and God. States gave the legal title marriage because, lets be honest, this country was founded on religion.

Once again for the religious right contingent... marriage is a right granted by the state. the power to perform a marriage is granted by the State.

there's no such thing as separate but equal. The state should marry people without discriminating. If your own personal church doesn't want to perform the ceremony, entirely different issue.

Once again for the religious right contingent... marriage is a right granted by the state. the power to perform a marriage is granted by the State.

there's no such thing as separate but equal. The state should marry people without discriminating. If your own personal church doesn't want to perform the ceremony, entirely different issue.[/QUOTE]

Wrong......the state shouldnt grant rights. No one should "grant" rights...whether its an entity or person. When are you people going to realize the flaw in that??

We are born with "Unalienable Rights"

Wrong......the state shouldnt grant rights. No one should "grant" rights...whether its an entity or person. When are you people going to realize the flaw in that??

So, in other words, a man should have the right to marry a farm animal?

I suppose if you can get the consent of the animal....(which you cant).

Are two men marrying each other violating your rights??

Are two women marrying each other violating your rights??

So, in other words, a man should have the right to marry a farm animal?
Are two men marrying each other violating your rights??

Are two women marrying each other violating your rights??

Yes

I have stated my opinion on this subject already in another thread, but I will repeat myself.

Why should my sister and her partner of 19 years not be allowed equal access to social security just as any other married couple? Why?

Both the federal government and the state provide special privileges to married couples, one man one woman, based on a religious tradition, marriage. Homosexual partners who commit their lives to each other are not provided the same benefits because they are not a part of that religious tradition and thus not sanctified by the state.

THAT is discrimination and anyone who cares about equal rights and separation of church and state should care about protecting the social security of ALL individual citizens, not just the ones who follow the long standing religious traditions.

Why not give both "Civil Union" and "Marriage" equal rights and be done with it.

I have stated my opinion on this subject already in another thread, but I will repeat myself.

Why should my sister and her partner of 19 years not be allowed equal access to social security just as any other married couple? Why?

Both the federal government and the state provide special privileges to married couples, one man one woman, based on a religious tradition, marriage. Homosexual partners who commit their lives to each other are not provided the same benefits because they are not a part of that religious tradition and thus not sanctified by the state.

THAT is discrimination and anyone who cares about equal rights and separation of church and state should care about protecting the social security of ALL individual citizens, not just the ones who follow the long standing religious traditions.

Why not give both "Civil Union" and "Marriage" equal rights and be done with it.

Very well said Val!

Don't bother talking to sunniboy about all this, he's just a troll. But maybe others can see your point of view, some people on here DO have open minds believe it or not!

Sorry to hear about your sister Valerie.

My condolences to you. :(

My condolences to your wife, Sunni mouse. :doubt:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i think they should....i think that if they had asked for a civil union with equal rights they would have it......they went for the brass ring and it is causing problems......i think that they will eventually obtain the rights they are after ......

If she was off all of her psych meds AND passed out drunk at the time, would she be considered able to consent to marriage.

When asked "Do you take this man to be your husband?", violently vomiting into a bucket cannot be translated into "I do" in any language I am aware of.

If she was off all of her psych meds AND passed out drunk at the time, would she be considered able to consent to marriage.

When asked "Do you take this man to be your husband?", violently vomiting into a bucket cannot be translated into "I do" in any language I am aware of.

Another beauty! You guys are cracking me up! Thanks! :clap2:

When you view many heterosexual marriages you have to wonder if they shouldn't be banned too. Surely they cause more pain and suffering for children and others than gays do or would cause.

Join the ban heterosexual marriage coalition, do it for your sanity, your health, and the health of the nation and the nation's children. If you want proof of the rightness of banning heterosexual marriage just watch Springer or Dr Phil or Povich. ;)

Forum List

Back