Goodbye to bad theology - Workers quietly remove Ten Commandments from Oklahoma Capitol

The argument for "In God We Trust" was always that "God" could represent any religion's God. It was only later that the Christian believer's pushed the statement to be a support of /their/ religion alone. It is because of the Christian insistence that /their/ God was /the/ God spoken of on money and in the pledge, that these other religious folks wish such things removed. As for the non-religious, they might want such things removed regardless because they dislike being excluded simply because they cast off the belief in the supernatural realm of religion. It is only the religious who turn it into a "war against" /their/ religion.

And those like me, look upon it and shrug for the most part, because, in all honestly, I consider it childish bickering akin to my young children fighting over who's picture might get hung upon the fridge. As if the hanging of all of them, or only one of them, could or would affect my love and/or support for each of them somehow. Reality is that I love all my boys, regardless of their individual strengths or weaknesses, it was not until they grew up that they understood this.

Oh! I get it. You are the mature adult and those of us who want to have the Christian God removed from the public sphere......as is the law.....are behaving like so many children wanting mommy's attention.

That's so awesome. When I grow up, I'll learn to accept that God is infused into our government like you have. Because you have matured.

Eat shit, please.

Actually I'm an agnostic. I don't think any religion has any place in government, but for little shit like "In God We Trust" or the placing of religious idols, I care not. I only really get riled up about the religious' folks discrimination; as in LGBT, or the exclusion of the religious beliefs of polygamists, etc. I am not against religion because I see benefit in the psyche for the "mentally weak" - this is not an insult, though I'm sure many would take it as such and for that I apologize. We are either leaders, or followers, and for followers, religion provides a generally good basis of societal behavior, there are extremists of course, but I do not blame the followers themselves for their "transgressions" rather I blame their leaders for leading them "improperly." It is the leaders onus to lead their people not for personal gain, but for the good of their people; many leaders are not mentally strong enough to recognize that they allow themselves to fall pray to "being lead" which means they are merely followers falsely leading followers.

Thus, I support religion, and the absence of religion alike. Does this make me more "mature"? Perhaps, or perhaps, as I stated, that is simply how it is how it seems to me. I'm sorry if my "feeling" that I have a more open mind than others offends you, though it actually should not, because in reality I support your ideals of anti-religion as well...
Good stuff.

This appears to be just another example in which a specific group of people has decided that it is "offended" by what is obviously a huge part of both our history and our present, and they want to leverage as much control as they can to control it.

These are the same people, of course, who very much dislike the history of this country, and seeing them wanting to eliminate remnants of that history is not terribly surprising.

Those of us who are agnostic on religion (and Christianity in specific) can see the good and the bad, but we don't feel a need to ignore the (obviously) significant role it occupies in this country.

It's the "victim" mentality again. These folks have to bitch about everything. Big corporations, you have more money than I do so that's not fair, George Bush did it, it's all his fault, etc. They're professional crybabies.

Keep that crap out of the public square unless everyone gets their own place or it's temporary. TY...

"OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A granite monument of the Ten Commandments that has sparked controversy since its installation on the Oklahoma Capitol grounds was being removed late Monday and will be transported to a private conservative think tank for storage.

A contractor the state hired began removing the monument shortly after 10:30 p.m. The works comes after the Oklahoma Supreme Court's decision in June that the display violates a state constitutional prohibition on the use of public property to support "any sect, church, denomination or system of religion."
Workers quietly remove Ten Commandments from Oklahoma Capitol

Strange how some of our laws closely mimic the Ten Commandments. Wonder why. Could it be that they actually make sense as an everyday guideline for society to follow?

Strange how you believe you have the right to violate our constitution and it's amendments. Violate the civil rights of millions of Americans and think you have the right to impose your beliefs on our government and nation.

I wonder how you would react if muslims started trying to impose their religious words and laws on our government and nation?

I also find it extremely strange how people like you who want to impose christian laws on our nation but not on yourselves. Isn't one of the commandments to not kill? I believe the exact words are thou shall not kill. Then there's the ones about not lying or committing adultery. You christians violate those commandments every minute. And just when did you all start remembering the sabbath day and keep it holy?

Here's a suggestion, how about actually practicing what you want to force on the rest of our nation?

Keep that crap out of the public square unless everyone gets their own place or it's temporary. TY...

"OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — A granite monument of the Ten Commandments that has sparked controversy since its installation on the Oklahoma Capitol grounds was being removed late Monday and will be transported to a private conservative think tank for storage.

A contractor the state hired began removing the monument shortly after 10:30 p.m. The works comes after the Oklahoma Supreme Court's decision in June that the display violates a state constitutional prohibition on the use of public property to support "any sect, church, denomination or system of religion."

Strange how some of our laws closely mimic the Ten Commandments. Wonder why. Could it be that they actually make sense as an everyday guideline for society to follow?

Strange how you believe you have the right to violate our constitution and it's amendments. Violate the civil rights of millions of Americans and think you have the right to impose your beliefs on our government and nation.

I wonder how you would react if muslims started trying to impose their religious words and laws on our government and nation?

I also find it extremely strange how people like you who want to impose christian laws on our nation but not on yourselves. Isn't one of the commandments to not kill? I believe the exact words are thou shall not kill. Then there's the ones about not lying or committing adultery. You christians violate those commandments every minute. And just when did you all start remembering the sabbath day and keep it holy?

Here's a suggestion, how about actually practicing what you want to force on the rest of our nation?

Who are you talking to? Show anywhere where I have preached to you, attempted to impose my views upon you, or anything you claim. You are a liar. The only thing I have spoken to is simply how childish and juvenile you Liberals are when you continue to bitch about anything and everything.

i think we should go with the code of Hammurabi.
That one has a cool law on tying adulterers together and throwing them in the river.
i just think that since so many of our laws closely resemble the code we should have it up at our courthouses. i mean it must be a good guideline for society to follow.

Ok the same code that says "thou shall not kill" should be hung by the government that has the death penalty and kills people? That code should be outside the building that condemns people to be killed by our government?

You've got to be kidding aren't you?

I bet you believe that "work sets you free" was an appropriate sign to put on the gates at auschwitz too.

The argument for "In God We Trust" was always that "God" could represent any religion's God. It was only later that the Christian believer's pushed the statement to be a support of /their/ religion alone. It is because of the Christian insistence that /their/ God was /the/ God spoken of on money and in the pledge, that these other religious folks wish such things removed. As for the non-religious, they might want such things removed regardless because they dislike being excluded simply because they cast off the belief in the supernatural realm of religion. It is only the religious who turn it into a "war against" /their/ religion.

And those like me, look upon it and shrug for the most part, because, in all honestly, I consider it childish bickering akin to my young children fighting over who's picture might get hung upon the fridge. As if the hanging of all of them, or only one of them, could or would affect my love and/or support for each of them somehow. Reality is that I love all my boys, regardless of their individual strengths or weaknesses, it was not until they grew up that they understood this.

Oh! I get it. You are the mature adult and those of us who want to have the Christian God removed from the public sphere......as is the law.....are behaving like so many children wanting mommy's attention.

That's so awesome. When I grow up, I'll learn to accept that God is infused into our government like you have. Because you have matured.

Eat shit, please.

Actually I'm an agnostic. I don't think any religion has any place in government, but for little shit like "In God We Trust" or the placing of religious idols, I care not. I only really get riled up about the religious' folks discrimination; as in LGBT, or the exclusion of the religious beliefs of polygamists, etc. I am not against religion because I see benefit in the psyche for the "mentally weak" - this is not an insult, though I'm sure many would take it as such and for that I apologize. We are either leaders, or followers, and for followers, religion provides a generally good basis of societal behavior, there are extremists of course, but I do not blame the followers themselves for their "transgressions" rather I blame their leaders for leading them "improperly." It is the leaders onus to lead their people not for personal gain, but for the good of their people; many leaders are not mentally strong enough to recognize that they allow themselves to fall pray to "being lead" which means they are merely followers falsely leading followers.

Thus, I support religion, and the absence of religion alike. Does this make me more "mature"? Perhaps, or perhaps, as I stated, that is simply how it is how it seems to me. I'm sorry if my "feeling" that I have a more open mind than others offends you, though it actually should not, because in reality I support your ideals of anti-religion as well...
Good stuff.

This appears to be just another example in which a specific group of people has decided that it is "offended" by what is obviously a huge part of both our history and our present, and they want to leverage as much control as they can to control it.

These are the same people, of course, who very much dislike the history of this country, and seeing them wanting to eliminate remnants of that history is not terribly surprising.

Those of us who are agnostic on religion (and Christianity in specific) can see the good and the bad, but we don't feel a need to ignore the (obviously) significant role it occupies in this country.

It's the "victim" mentality again. These folks have to bitch about everything. Big corporations, you have more money than I do so that's not fair, George Bush did it, it's all his fault, etc. They're professional crybabies.
Well...isn't THAT ironic!!! :rofl:

Now I get why the left so hates the commandments they so can't stand the number 10 – You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s
Sad to hear you cannot maintain yourself without having the commandments up everywhere to remind you what not to do.

Now I get why the left so hates the commandments they so can't stand the number 10 – You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor’s
Sad to hear you cannot maintain yourself without having the commandments up everywhere to remind you what not to do.

Nah....I just want to know what the big deal is about it to you guys..

I just look and really don't give a fuck, it's like war memorials or manger scenes at Christmas..its nice and all but I don't get offended by it...

I don't want that crap taken down if it makes someone else happy:)

Some people are not going to be satisfied until they bring their church into everyone else's life 24/7, whether they like it or not. This is why it was illegal to open any store on Sunday when I grew up in the South, except gas stations, pharmacy, or food stores.

Fortunately, these days are over.

And the other side will not be happy until religious expressions are forced behind closed, locked doors.

Locked? Don't be silly. You can even open the door if the tax free facility you are in doesn't have air conditioning.

Does this post have a point?

Yes, Marty. It does.

You are not being forced behind closed, locked doors. You can do all the worship you want right on the street. Wear your religious symbols.......put your wife in a burka.....put little fishy bumber stickers on your pick up. Nobody gives a rats ass.

But....you may not use any publicly funded property or institution to advertise your faith. This is a SECULAR nation. We do not have A god in charge.

You, being a victim, think my telling you this is an attack on your faith and an infringement on your rights. THE OPPOSITE is true. I have a right......where government is concerned.....to be free of your faith. It is not welcome.

The fact that your god is on my money.....and in my pledge.....is bullshit and an infringement on my rights. How about you trying a little empathy.

Actually, I don't really have much faith, what I don't have is the progressive loathing of people of faith.

You get freedom of religion, not freedom from religion, that you want the US government to be Atheistic, and not Agnostic is telling.

I do indeed insist on freedom from religion. If you find that troublesome, then so be it.

And the other side will not be happy until religious expressions are forced behind closed, locked doors.

Locked? Don't be silly. You can even open the door if the tax free facility you are in doesn't have air conditioning.

Yes, Marty. It does.

You are not being forced behind closed, locked doors. You can do all the worship you want right on the street. Wear your religious symbols.......put your wife in a burka.....put little fishy bumber stickers on your pick up. Nobody gives a rats ass.

But....you may not use any publicly funded property or institution to advertise your faith. This is a SECULAR nation. We do not have A god in charge.

You, being a victim, think my telling you this is an attack on your faith and an infringement on your rights. THE OPPOSITE is true. I have a right......where government is concerned.....to be free of your faith. It is not welcome.

The fact that your god is on my money.....and in my pledge.....is bullshit and an infringement on my rights. How about you trying a little empathy.

Actually, I don't really have much faith, what I don't have is the progressive loathing of people of faith.

You get freedom of religion, not freedom from religion, that you want the US government to be Atheistic, and not Agnostic is telling.

I do indeed insist on freedom from religion. If you find that troublesome, then so be it.

That makes you an intolerant bigot then. Enjoy.

Yes, Marty. It does.

I'm not sure why you say that, since I tolerate you, but, if that is the way you feel, I find that tolerable to me!

My brother's wife has been preaching to me by email for 30 years. About a year ago, I told my computer to send it all to "spam" and delete it. When people leave their tracts on my car, they go into the trash, unread. When missionaries ring my door bell, they meet my german sheppard. I'm not going to sue anybody because "In God We Trust" is on my money, but I wish they would take if off. If Westboro Baptist church would show up at my house with their loudspeakers, they will get to hear "Lola" from my stereo at 110 decibels until they leave.

Don't want it. Don't have to listen to it, and insist that it not be a part of the government which I support with my taxes (which is more than one can say about religions, since they pay no taxes at all).

Last edited:

I just look and really don't give a fuck, it's like war memorials or manger scenes at Christmas..its nice and all but I don't get offended by it...

I can tell you "don't give a fuck"....posting here. :D

Just bored and how come you didn't answer my question? Why does it bother you guys so much?

Has to be something in the 10 that you are afraid of.

Just bored and how come you didn't answer my question? Why does it bother you guys so much?

It should bother any American citizen if any religion thinks they have some kind of advantage with the government here. I would most definitely object just as much if they were to put up some other monument to some other religion. I'm not a passive victim when it comes our Rights.

But, since you talk about "fear of the 10"...what do you fear in the 10 Bill of Rights?

I can tell you "don't gianywaysck"....posting here. :D

It should bother any American citizen if any religion thinks they have some kind of advantage with the government here. I would most definitely object just as much if they were to put up some other monument to some other religion. I'm not a passive victim when it comes our Rights.

But, since you talk about "fear of the 10"...what do you fear in the 10 Bill of Rights?

How is it a monument? Its a granite slab with words no one even pays attention to anyways ... You guys are making a big deal about nothing....

Just to show your red ass.

Yeah our secular society it working so well right now huh?

What is so wrong with those who don't believe to just ignore the 1st 3 commandments?
The rest is about becoming a good society.
What is wrong with reminding everyone about taking off from work one day a week. It's good for your health.
What is wrong with honoring and obeying your parents? Having respect for our Elders who have much of life lessons to teach the young.
Don't murder- life is precious
Be faithful to your spouse- less sexual diseases
Don't steal- it does not belong to you.
Don't lie and don't be envious or greedy.
What is wrong with these morals and principals that it offends so many?

The monument was literally a brand new addition so I fail to see how its removal signifies a decline by any measure.

You fail to see that this story is about more than just 1 individual statue.

That would be a mistaken, or failed belief on your part. The court order referenced one recently placed monument in one specific location. There were no other monuments mentioned.

Yes, Marty. It does.

I'm not sure why you say that, since I tolerate you, but, if that is the way you feel, I find that tolerable to me!

My brother's wife has been preaching to me by email for 30 years. About a year ago, I told my computer to send it all to "spam" and delete it. When people leave their tracts on my car, they go into the trash, unread. When missionaries ring my door bell, they meet my german sheppard. I'm not going to sue anybody because "In God We Trust" is on my money, but I wish they would take if off. If Westboro Baptist church would show up at my house with their loudspeakers, they will get to hear "Lola" from my stereo at 110 decibels until they leave.

Don't want it. Don't have to listen to it, and insist that it not be a part of the government which I support with my taxes (which is more than one can say about religions, since they pay no taxes at all).

The problem is when government becomes hostile to religion, it becomes accommodating to Atheism, which is of course a religion.

Agnosticism is not a Religion, Atheism is.

Yes, Marty. It does.

The problem is when government becomes hostile to religion, it becomes accommodating to Atheism, which is of course a religion.

...and the earth burns, while the sun freezes.....

...and the earth burns, while the sun freezes.....

If you profess a belief that there is no God, you are actively taking a position the question of a deity, that is a religious belief (or non-belief).

If you take the position that god may or may not exist, but you don't care, that is a lack of belief, and not a religious belief.

Forum List

Back