OK 10 commandement statue "smashed to pieces"

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Someone Smashed The Disputed Oklahoma Ten Commandments Monument To Pieces

AP / Huffington Post | By Sean Murphy

• So - a vandal accomplished what our Constitution could not.
Screw the Constitution, right? The nutters will have another one back up in no time.

(Ignore the bullet points. Apparently, god put them there.)

Someone Smashed The Disputed Oklahoma Ten Commandments Monument To Pieces

AP / Huffington Post | By Sean Murphy

• So - a vandal accomplished what our Constitution could not.
Screw the Constitution, right? The nutters will have another one back up in no time.

(Ignore the bullet points. Apparently, god put them there.)
:crybaby:

It wasn't me. I have an alibi. :)
Hollie and Taz don't count.

God said no idols. That is using the ten commandments as an idol.

While there are many prohibitions about idolatry. it'd only qualify as that if they the thing became a center of worship. Then it'd be a graven idol.
Rachael took the idols from her father when she left with Jacob. I do not think those were worship idols.

A crucifix is an example of a forbidden idol. Especially the great big ones ina church people kneel and bow before.

Not to bow down to an idol, even if that is not its mode of worship (Ex. 20:5)
Not to worship an idol in the way in which it is usually worshipped (Ex. 20:5)
Not to swear by an idol to its worshipers, nor cause them to swear by it (Ex. 23:13)

Relevant one here,
Not to set up a pillar (for worship) (Deut. 16:22)

A crucifix is an example of a forbidden idol. Especially the great big ones ina church people kneel and bow before.

Not to swear by an idol to its worshipers, nor cause them to swear by it (Ex. 23:13)

Relevant one here,
Agree 100, and then some, percent. There are some verses even more specific than that as to what should not be made into an idol.

I don't think the monument should be at that location as well but this is nothing more then a cowardly act of vandalism. I hope they find the person and prosecute them for these illegal actions.

Coulda avoided the whole mess putting it on some church's land instead of where ever it was. I'd assume then they wanted the mess doing it as they did. They wanted to bring the subject up publicly.

Relevant one here,
Agree 100, and then some, percent. There are some verses even more specific than that as to what should not be made into an idol.
How about you assign yourself as the Field Marshall General in Charge and begin your program of idol destruction?

It's the Christian thing to do.

Relevant one here,
How about you assign yourself as the Field Marshall General in Charge and begin your program of idol destruction?

Gee Hollie, thanks for explaining religion to me.

Next time someone tried this kind of thing, erecting a religious symbol on government land, just say ok, now we want Muslim and Satanic ones right next to it. :)

So does this now mean we don't get to build a Baphomet statue there?

Baphomet-Statue.jpg

Woulda been epic...

Relevant one here,

Be careful what you wish for,

To destroy idolatry and its appurtenances (Deut. 12:2-3)
# Not to give up hating the enticer to idolatry (Deut. 13:9) (CCN25).
# Not to save the enticer from capital punishment, but to stand by at his execution (Deut. 13:9) (negative).
# A person whom he attempted to entice to idolatry shall not urge pleas for the acquittal of the enticer (Deut. 13:9) (CCN26).
# A person whom he attempted to entice shall not refrain from giving evidence of the enticer's guilt, if he has such evidence (Deut. 13:9)

# To slay the inhabitants of a city that has become idolatrous and burn that city (Deut. 13:16-17) (affirmative).
# Not to rebuild a city that has been led astray to idolatry (Deut. 13:17) (negative).
# Not to make use of the property of city that has been so led astray (Deut. 13:18)

Relevant one here,

No, a crucifix is not an example of a forbidden idol. Keep in mind that in Old Testament times, people made graven images (think golden calf) to worship. There were engravings on the Ark of the Covenant, but they did not qualify as idols--they were not worshiped, no one thought they had powers. They simply represented the power and holiness of God.

Catholics do not believe the crucifix has power, the belief is that Christ has power, and the crucifix represents the sacrifice he made for us. It is an object of reflection and contemplation--it helps keep the mind and spirit focused on God.

I'm an atheist and I'm against the destruction of religious items.

However, they should also not be anywhere near our government (including its buildings).

Forum List

Back