Goodbye to bad theology - Workers quietly remove Ten Commandments from Oklahoma Capitol

A sad day in America, another sure sign of our decline.

I listen to you guys bitching about your constitutions being ignored and then bitch about your constitutions being enforced. Can you blame me for just shaking my head? The Oklahoma Constitution says in Section II-5: Public money or property - Use for sectarian purposes.

"No public money or property shall ever be appropriated,
applied, donated, or used, directly or indirectly, for the use,
benefit, or support of any sect, church, denomination, or system
of religion, or for the use, benefit, or support of any priest,
preacher, minister, or other religious teacher or dignitary, or
sectarian institution as such."

You don't have to be a genius or even a Supreme Court judge to figure out that displaying the Ten Commandments on public property in the State is unconstitutional. Why do you think a Constitution being enforced = "a sad day in America"?

Do you live in Oklahoma? I don't. It doesn't keep me awake what Oklahoma does.

The sad day was when the damn thing was installed. Learn what it means to live in a secular nation, where your faith doesn't get to just shit on all the rest just because you're in the majority.

If you own belief structure is threatened by a few words on stone monument, its your own issue.

Should the thing have been there? probably not, but that doesn't mean the people wanting to get rid of it, or place satanistic equivalents out of spite ar right either.
The issue has nothing to do with a belief structure being 'threatened.'

It has to do with government following the wisdom and mandate of the Framers, that church and state should be kept separate.

Where exactly in the Constitution is that found?

Remember that when wrestling with pigs, it only makes the pigs happy.....And we pretty much know who the pigs are on this thread alone.

I listen to you guys bitching about your constitutions being ignored and then bitch about your constitutions being enforced. Can you blame me for just shaking my head? The Oklahoma Constitution says in Section II-5: Public money or property - Use for sectarian purposes.

You don't have to be a genius or even a Supreme Court judge to figure out that displaying the Ten Commandments on public property in the State is unconstitutional. Why do you think a Constitution being enforced = "a sad day in America"?

Which church was supported?

Again;

of religion,
or for the use, benefit, or support of any priest,

Obviously the prohibition applies to any Christian "sect, church, denomination". I don't know if any of the legislators who voted to place the Ten Commandments on public property were Jewish. If you want to keep playing word games don't let me stop you. You'll have to do better than that pathetic attempt though.

Some people are not going to be satisfied until they bring their church into everyone else's life 24/7, whether they like it or not. This is why it was illegal to open any store on Sunday when I grew up in the South, except gas stations, pharmacy, or food stores.

Fortunately, these days are over.

And the other side will not be happy until religious expressions are forced behind closed, locked doors.

Locked? Don't be silly. You can even open the door if the tax free facility you are in doesn't have air conditioning.

Does this post have a point?

Yes, Marty. It does.

You are not being forced behind closed, locked doors. You can do all the worship you want right on the street. Wear your religious symbols.......put your wife in a burka.....put little fishy bumber stickers on your pick up. Nobody gives a rats ass.

But....you may not use any publicly funded property or institution to advertise your faith. This is a SECULAR nation. We do not have A god in charge.

You, being a victim, think my telling you this is an attack on your faith and an infringement on your rights. THE OPPOSITE is true. I have a right......where government is concerned.....to be free of your faith. It is not welcome.

The fact that your god is on my money.....and in my pledge.....is bullshit and an infringement on my rights. How about you trying a little empathy.

Actually, I don't really have much faith, what I don't have is the progressive loathing of people of faith.

You get freedom of religion, not freedom from religion, that you want the US government to be Atheistic, and not Agnostic is telling.

The sad day was when the damn thing was installed. Learn what it means to live in a secular nation, where your faith doesn't get to just shit on all the rest just because you're in the majority.

If you own belief structure is threatened by a few words on stone monument, its your own issue.

Should the thing have been there? probably not, but that doesn't mean the people wanting to get rid of it, or place satanistic equivalents out of spite ar right either.
The issue has nothing to do with a belief structure being 'threatened.'

It has to do with government following the wisdom and mandate of the Framers, that church and state should be kept separate.

Except they didn't use those words, they were against establishment of a religion as the religion of the United States.

Some people are not going to be satisfied until they bring their church into everyone else's life 24/7, whether they like it or not. This is why it was illegal to open any store on Sunday when I grew up in the South, except gas stations, pharmacy, or food stores.

Fortunately, these days are over.

And the other side will not be happy until religious expressions are forced behind closed, locked doors.

Locked? Don't be silly. You can even open the door if the tax free facility you are in doesn't have air conditioning.

Yes, Marty. It does.

You are not being forced behind closed, locked doors. You can do all the worship you want right on the street. Wear your religious symbols.......put your wife in a burka.....put little fishy bumber stickers on your pick up. Nobody gives a rats ass.

But....you may not use any publicly funded property or institution to advertise your faith. This is a SECULAR nation. We do not have A god in charge.

You, being a victim, think my telling you this is an attack on your faith and an infringement on your rights. THE OPPOSITE is true. I have a right......where government is concerned.....to be free of your faith. It is not welcome.

The fact that your god is on my money.....and in my pledge.....is bullshit and an infringement on my rights. How about you trying a little empathy.

Actually, I don't really have much faith, what I don't have is the progressive loathing of people of faith.

You get freedom of religion, not freedom from religion, that you want the US government to be Atheistic, and not Agnostic is telling.

Secular. The word is secular.

Yes, Marty. It does.

Secular isn't hostile to religion, which is what you want the government to be.

Yes, Marty. It does.

Secular isn't hostile to religion, which is what you want the government to be.

No I don't.

Faith is the antithesis of reason, and although faith is perfectly fine as a personal belief, it has NO place in governing a multi-faceted society....unless you're trying to emulate Iran and Saudi Arabia.

The argument for "In God We Trust" was always that "God" could represent any religion's God. It was only later that the Christian believer's pushed the statement to be a support of /their/ religion alone. It is because of the Christian insistence that /their/ God was /the/ God spoken of on money and in the pledge, that these other religious folks wish such things removed. As for the non-religious, they might want such things removed regardless because they dislike being excluded simply because they cast off the belief in the supernatural realm of religion. It is only the religious who turn it into a "war against" /their/ religion.

And those like me, look upon it and shrug for the most part, because, in all honestly, I consider it childish bickering akin to my young children fighting over who's picture might get hung upon the fridge. As if the hanging of all of them, or only one of them, could or would affect my love and/or support for each of them somehow. Reality is that I love all my boys, regardless of their individual strengths or weaknesses, it was not until they grew up that they understood this.

Civilizations whose only threads holding them together is the force of law cannot and willnot hold together at all.

The goal of the left is the utter and complete destruction of the Constitutional Republic. The anti-culture forces have waged a 60 year war to completely dismantle the common bonds that hold the nation together.
Ironically for you, it is the Constitution of that Constitutional Republic which protects us from any religion being favored over another in government entities.

Phew.

Just knowing that monument has been removed will make it easier to sleep at night.

'Cuz if I were walking along in Oklahoma City (for some reason) and saw that I'd get real "offended" 'n stuff.

So that's one less thing to get offended over, you betcha.

:rolleyes-41:

Which church was supported?
Good question..either it was the Protestant Church, the Catholic Church, or the Jewish Temple...each has a different version of the Big Ten.

The argument for "In God We Trust" was always that "God" could represent any religion's God. It was only later that the Christian believer's pushed the statement to be a support of /their/ religion alone. It is because of the Christian insistence that /their/ God was /the/ God spoken of on money and in the pledge, that these other religious folks wish such things removed. As for the non-religious, they might want such things removed regardless because they dislike being excluded simply because they cast off the belief in the supernatural realm of religion. It is only the religious who turn it into a "war against" /their/ religion.

And those like me, look upon it and shrug for the most part, because, in all honestly, I consider it childish bickering akin to my young children fighting over who's picture might get hung upon the fridge. As if the hanging of all of them, or only one of them, could or would affect my love and/or support for each of them somehow. Reality is that I love all my boys, regardless of their individual strengths or weaknesses, it was not until they grew up that they understood this.

Oh! I get it. You are the mature adult and those of us who want to have the Christian God removed from the public sphere......as is the law.....are behaving like so many children wanting mommy's attention.

That's so awesome. When I grow up, I'll learn to accept that God is infused into our government like you have. Because you have matured.

Eat shit, please.

Forum List

Back