"Good" Resale Value - BMW 3-Series

The subject line reflects the conventional wisdom about BMW's. The bigger models depreciate a lot, but the resale value of the 3-series is pretty good.

Well...

30 months ago, my wife purchased - with my encouragement - a "certified used" 2017 BMW 330GT X-drive sedan. Without getting into serious high-performance models, this is about the nicest 3-series sedan they offer. It is a 4-door hatch, with the wheelbase and body stretched by 5 inches or so to increase rear seat legroom, and it's a great car.

The car was a current model year car in April of 2017, it had 5,000 miles on it, and the "Certified" warranty was actually much better than the new car warranty would have been. It runs to 75,000 miles vs 50k miles for new.

Sticker price on the car was $56k and we paid $46k. We put $16 thousand down and financed $30,000 over 60 months, at zero percent APR (which is why we didn't just buy it outright).

Now, 30 months later, the trade-in value is about $22,500, according to various sources. So it has depreciated almost $24 thousand dollars in 30 months.

Had we chosen to get a new 2017 Honda Accord EX-L for $30k, we would now have a car worth about $21,500. For all practical purposes, the two cars are about the same. The BMW's hatch gives us a little more utility, but not enough to make a difference, practically speaking.

Do the math.

Of course, there is no quantifying the joy of driving a BMW. But I don't think we will ever buy a "premium" car again. It is pointless.

You should have leased her a 7 series.

1. VERY happy wife.
2. You'd be far ahead on money.

How do you post this shit with a straight face?

A 30 month lease would have been far less in cost with the same outcome.

No, a 30-month lease would mean he didn't have a car in 31 months. Do you even read the shit you post?!

The best car is a well maintained paid for car. When the hideous Volvo died (to my everlasting delight), I decided I wanted a compact SUV. I looked at the luxury versions (i.e. Lexus) and lower priced ones (Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Subaru). The Subaru Forrester won hands down. I bought one for half the price of a similar Lexus - and paid it off quickly. It's a fabulous vehicle. I'll never waste my money on a luxury brand.

Everything surrounding BMWs have been a mystery to me.
-Price
-Reliability
-Cost
-Depreciation
-Owners

Why?
They USED to be anvil-solid cars with superb reliability. Not anymore.

There is nothing manufactured today that is "anvil-solid."

1. Live in a State with a rock-solid lemon law
2. Lease

Or just put your money in a pile and burn it. Leasing is car rental for the fiscally stupid.

Someone else has already eaten most of the depreciation on my next car...

43641789470.507630297.IM1.07.1000x750_A.1000x750.jpg

Buying a Fiat wouldn't be a smart idea unless you have lots of money for repairs.
Fix
It
Again
Tony

I doubt anyone here is interested in photos of you, bub. But congrats on your transgendering. What are your new pronouns?

What Are the Top 10 Cars for Lesbians?

Logic challenged much?

Some potheads like cheeseburgers.
You like cheeseburgers.
Therefore, you are a pothead.
Hey mellow out...stereotypes are funny...roll with it. Besides...we bat for the same team...'fist bump'

I doubt anyone here is interested in photos of you, bub. But congrats on your transgendering. What are your new pronouns?

Logic challenged much?

You like cheeseburgers.
Hey mellow out...stereotypes are funny...roll with it. Besides...we bat for the same team...'fist bump'

Ah, then you must be a MerBy.

proxy.duckduckgo.jpg

Logic challenged much?

You like cheeseburgers.

Ah, then you must be a MerBy.

View attachment 281558
I could be...I would totally rock that fin.

Everything surrounding BMWs have been a mystery to me.
-Price
-Reliability
-Cost
-Depreciation
-Owners

Why?

2. Lease

Or just put your money in a pile and burn it. Leasing is car rental for the fiscally stupid.

Buying a Fiat wouldn't be a smart idea unless you have lots of money for repairs.
Sit down, kid, the adults are talking. When you actually get your license, you might be able to get a nice car. You're on your own learning to drive a standard shift, though.

So you think buying a Fiat/MOPAR is a good idea? Let me know how that works out for you.......The computer, which you WILL change is 4K.

The subject line reflects the conventional wisdom about BMW's. The bigger models depreciate a lot, but the resale value of the 3-series is pretty good.

Well...

30 months ago, my wife purchased - with my encouragement - a "certified used" 2017 BMW 330GT X-drive sedan. Without getting into serious high-performance models, this is about the nicest 3-series sedan they offer. It is a 4-door hatch, with the wheelbase and body stretched by 5 inches or so to increase rear seat legroom, and it's a great car.

The car was a current model year car in April of 2017, it had 5,000 miles on it, and the "Certified" warranty was actually much better than the new car warranty would have been. It runs to 75,000 miles vs 50k miles for new.

Sticker price on the car was $56k and we paid $46k. We put $16 thousand down and financed $30,000 over 60 months, at zero percent APR (which is why we didn't just buy it outright).

Now, 30 months later, the trade-in value is about $22,500, according to various sources. So it has depreciated almost $24 thousand dollars in 30 months.

Had we chosen to get a new 2017 Honda Accord EX-L for $30k, we would now have a car worth about $21,500. For all practical purposes, the two cars are about the same. The BMW's hatch gives us a little more utility, but not enough to make a difference, practically speaking.

Do the math.

Of course, there is no quantifying the joy of driving a BMW. But I don't think we will ever buy a "premium" car again. It is pointless.

The secret is to hold on to them for a couple of decades! Then they appreciate like mad provided you kept them in good shape!

I find that the BMW is a useless car. Same for most of the imports. If you want to go road racing I take my 94 Thunderbird. Cost 20,000 and is still in great condition. As for parts they are easy to get.

That's because you have never had the pleasure of driving a high quality sports sedan.

2. Lease

Sit down, kid, the adults are talking. When you actually get your license, you might be able to get a nice car. You're on your own learning to drive a standard shift, though.

So you think buying a Fiat/MOPAR is a good idea? Let me know how that works out for you.......The computer, which you WILL change is 4K.

Actually, no, it is $403. Do you EVER actually have any FACTS, or do you just post random shit?

I have owned several, no issues. My stepfather's 300 has ~85K, he put 200,000+ miles on two Concordes. My Magnum went 90K with no more than a set of brakes.

I have driven mostly MOPARS throughout my adult life (not at the moment), and I've never had any significant issues. I've had four with turbo's and no problem with any of them.

But then I don't keep them for long. When the odometer gets over 75k miles or so I'm tired of them and move on.

That's because you have never had the pleasure of driving a high quality sports sedan.
I have driven just about every make of vehicle sold in America. BMW is short for Basic Marin Wheels. They are small and cramped and have zero acceleration.

I have driven just about every make of vehicle sold in America. BMW is short for Basic Marin Wheels. They are small and cramped and have zero acceleration.

Ummm, I was talking about real cars, not your battery powered go cart.

Forum List

Back