In the Age of "Maintenance Free" Cars

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
When I grew up, car maintenance was extensive and at times expensive. A tune-up was required periodically (points, plugs, condenser), oil was to be changed every 3k miles, mufflers had to be replaced regularly (see Midas commercials of the day), tires were crap, and so on.

Now, not so much.

My wife's Beemer (2017 3-series) has only required an oil change when the car tells you (roughly 10k miles), and...that's been about it.

But she "loves" this car and is threatening to keep it until they pry Charlton Heston's gun from his cold, dead hands. We are at about 76,000 miles, and it has been a flawless, trouble-free, inexpensive ride until now. For some reason we are going through a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so; not sure whether to press the Panic Button over that. (There is no dip stick; the car tells you when your oil is low, and you have to let the car check it self while the engine is idling).

But I think I have to bite the bullet. A combination of BMW owner sites and the owner's manual recommend several things either now or shoulda been done already, namely,
  • Replace brake fluid (water gets into the lines and causes rust),
  • Replace engine coolant (similar),
  • Spark Plugs,
  • Ignition Coils (I don't even know what that is. Are there four of them or only one?), and of course,
  • Oil and filter.
Transmission fluid and other fluids seem to be "permanent." In fact, they tell you NOT to change the transmission fluid.

Anyone here knowledgeable to add any thoughts? I think this whole service is going to run about $600 - NOT at the BMW dealer. The good thing is, my mechanic will not do anything that isn't necessary. He has proven invaluable in similar situations in the past with European cars.

I don't know the specifics of your car but if there are 4, I wouldn't bother changing the coils. If one goes bad, change it then. You should still be able to drive the car. The oil consumption would concern me though. I'd hate to be adding a quart every 1500 miles.

When I grew up, car maintenance was extensive and at times expensive. A tune-up was required periodically (points, plugs, condenser), oil was to be changed every 3k miles, mufflers had to be replaced regularly (see Midas commercials of the day), tires were crap, and so on.

Now, not so much.

My wife's Beemer (2017 3-series) has only required an oil change when the car tells you (roughly 10k miles), and...that's been about it.

But she "loves" this car and is threatening to keep it until they pry Charlton Heston's gun from his cold, dead hands. We are at about 76,000 miles, and it has been a flawless, trouble-free, inexpensive ride until now. For some reason we are going through a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so; not sure whether to press the Panic Button over that. (There is no dip stick; the car tells you when your oil is low, and you have to let the car check it self while the engine is idling).

But I think I have to bite the bullet. A combination of BMW owner sites and the owner's manual recommend several things either now or shoulda been done already, namely,
  • Spark Plugs,
  • Ignition Coils (I don't even know what that is. Are there four of them or only one?), and of course,
  • Oil and filter.
Transmission fluid and other fluids seem to be "permanent." In fact, they tell you NOT to change the transmission fluid.

Anyone here knowledgeable to add any thoughts? I think this whole service is going to run about $600 - NOT at the BMW dealer. The good thing is, my mechanic will not do anything that isn't necessary. He has proven invaluable in similar situations in the past with European cars.
/——/ Same story with my 2011 Volvo convertible. My local mechanic looks at the dealer estimate for maintenance and repairs, laughs and does only what’s necessary for half the price.

Now, not so much.

• Spark Plugs,
  • Oil and filter.

The car should have come with a maintenance schedule in the owner's manual.

Now, not so much.

• Spark Plugs,
  • Oil and filter.

Do the ignition coil s and plugs

Your transmission is a sealed system doesn't mean it shouldn't be changed ...usually 80,000 miles ...let the dealer do that 2 to 300 bucks
Replace brake fluid absolutely
Flush coolant
Yes yes and yes

I do audis not beemers

Have the belts looked at
As for the oil if thiers white smoke coming out of tailpipe ....sell it
When ya take it in for tranny service ...tell em it burning oil they maybe able to figure it out

No car is maintenance free but they sure have improved. I'm talking in leaps and bounds.

If you didn't wrench on them yourself back in the day it would have been like raising a child cost-wise.

LOL....I bet I could still work on the old 40s-50s "go-devil" Jeep engines and transmissions.

I have a 2013 Tundra truck with only 31K miles on it. For the ten years I have owned it there have been no problems. However, a couple of weeks ago it was running really rough and the Check Engine light was on.

Took it to a mechanic and he plugged in the diagnostic computer. The ignition coil in the number four cylinder had gone bad.

Like you I had never heard of an ignition coil. It supplies high voltage to the spark plug. Most modern vehicle have them.

They cost about $150 each and you need one for each cylinder. For the mechanic to do the diagnostic and replace the ignition coil and spark plug including labor it cost $300.

The mechanic said that if another one doesn't go out before then I should replace all of them at 60K miles.

No car is maintenance free but they sure have improved. I'm talking in leaps and bounds.

If you didn't wrench on them yourself back in the day it would have been like raising a child cost-wise.

LOL....I bet I could still work on the old 40s-50s "go-devil" Jeep engines and transmissions.
My car is 15 years old, 235,000 miles and has never had a tuneup and has its original exhaust system, tranny and the engine has never been touched

Do everything on the list and have someone determine the cause of your oil leak, or better yet, grab a couple jack stands and secure it when jacked up and look it over from underneath. Be sure to wipe everything down, use a degreaser if you have to, and then look it over again in a few weeks. As a VW owner, I've learned these German cars only get expensive when you ignore doing regular maintenance on them, otherwise they are far more dependable than their American counterparts.

They are expensive to repair if you don't look for replacement parts from elsewhere. My window switch bank on the drivers side door lost a couple swtiches working (likely due to a design flaw that allows water onto them when opening door in the rain) so I bought the 4 switch bank at the dealer for $150, only to find something identical on Amazon for $25. Thankfully I returned the part to the dealer and got my refund. The Amazon switch bank was exactly the same as the original VW part.

Now, not so much.

• Spark Plugs,
  • Oil and filter.

Could be a head gasket leak, valve covers are easy to see, oil pan....put newspapers under the car and see if it leaks while sitting.

there is no oil leak. I wonder if a heavier oil could help. The book says 0-20. I trust my mechanic. I'll be interested to see what he thinks (Thursday).

You are right.
Cars these days require very little maintenance.
Because of the incredible cost of new cars and used cars people will be driving their cars for a lot longer nowadays.
After people retire and they are no longer commuting everyday they usually have their forever car.
After about 80 years old driving is risky.

New Car Price Trends in 2023 (Updated Monthly) - CarEdge

9 rows · Oct 22, 2023 · According to recent data from Cox Automotive, the average transaction price for new cars is ...
  • MONTH-YEARAVERAGE NEW CAR TRANSACTION PR ...
    1/1/2023$49,507
    2/1/2023$49,468
    3/1/2023$48,558
    4/1/2023$48,289

But she "loves" this car and is threatening to keep it until they pry Charlton Heston's gun from his cold, dead hands. We are at about 76,000 miles, and it has been a flawless, trouble-free, inexpensive ride until now. For some reason we are going through a quart of oil every 1500 miles or so; not sure whether to press the Panic Button over that.

Does she baby it every time she drives it?

Rings need to seat.

So you have to ''drive'' it for that to happen right.

I'm not saying drive it like a hoodlum.

But they need to be ''driven.''

My grey-haired old BMW mechanic (not a dealer) tells me that oil usage in the 2-liter engine is normal. Don't give it a second thought. Delivering the car to Carvana tomorrow morning.

My grey-haired old BMW mechanic (not a dealer) tells me that oil usage in the 2-liter engine is normal. Don't give it a second thought. Delivering the car to Carvana tomorrow morning.

I saw that you mentioned about selling it some place else around here.

And you're picking up a Tesla?

Thing I like about Teslas is if traffic is jammed up and you need to get in the other lane, look for a Tesla and just take the lane.

The Tesla, because of all of its cameras and sensors, will just stop by itself and let you in.

Ignition Coils (I don't even know what that is. Are there four of them or only one?), and of course,
Every cylinder requires an own ignition coil - due to the respective spark-plugs it drives/controls.
E.g. an R6 cylinder of a 325i BMW - would need 6.

A damaged or failing ignition coil should to be fixed right away. Otherwise your engine will experience misfires and overcompensation for the power reduction.

Ignc.png

The Automotive industry had "noticed" that both drivers and mechanics are getting dumber and dumber - therefore IT takes over.
In both maintenance - right down to self-driving cars, for the total dummies or simply for the lazy and dumb.

Lawmakers are using this "population dumbing" occurrence, to introduce the respective IT " driving assistance modules" requirements, for registering new cars e.g. from 2024 onward. And they might also introduce automatic voting for the lazy and dumb in the future.

Forum List

Back