"Good" Resale Value - BMW 3-Series

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The subject line reflects the conventional wisdom about BMW's. The bigger models depreciate a lot, but the resale value of the 3-series is pretty good.

Well...

30 months ago, my wife purchased - with my encouragement - a "certified used" 2017 BMW 330GT X-drive sedan. Without getting into serious high-performance models, this is about the nicest 3-series sedan they offer. It is a 4-door hatch, with the wheelbase and body stretched by 5 inches or so to increase rear seat legroom, and it's a great car.

The car was a current model year car in April of 2017, it had 5,000 miles on it, and the "Certified" warranty was actually much better than the new car warranty would have been. It runs to 75,000 miles vs 50k miles for new.

Sticker price on the car was $56k and we paid $46k. We put $16 thousand down and financed $30,000 over 60 months, at zero percent APR (which is why we didn't just buy it outright).

Now, 30 months later, the trade-in value is about $22,500, according to various sources. So it has depreciated almost $24 thousand dollars in 30 months.

Had we chosen to get a new 2017 Honda Accord EX-L for $30k, we would now have a car worth about $21,500. For all practical purposes, the two cars are about the same. The BMW's hatch gives us a little more utility, but not enough to make a difference, practically speaking.

Do the math.

Of course, there is no quantifying the joy of driving a BMW. But I don't think we will ever buy a "premium" car again. It is pointless.

The more you pay for a car, the more depreciation you will incur.

I have owned 3 Audi’s. I bought them when they were 7-10 years old, but all where well cared for and original owner cars. All were great cars, but cost me a fraction of what they sold for new.

Cars go from Point A to Point B. They don't do much besides. I have as a utility car a 2006 Honda Accord that just hit 32,000. Bought new. Needs a bath but otherwise looks like a new car. The dealer keeps trying to buy it back.

The other car in the garage comes out only on sunny weekends. It disturbs the environmentalists. :113:

It looks like the only way around depreciation on high end cars is getting into collector cars, but then you are really shelling out the big bucks.

The nice thing about old cars is you can work on them yourself.

The annoying thing is finding the parts.

It looks like the only way around depreciation on high end cars is getting into collector cars, but then you are really shelling out the big bucks.

If you have that skill, that is. Car batteries and headlights is about as far as I go :).

If you have that skill, that is. Car batteries and headlights is about as far as I go :).

I have an old Chilton manual for the beast. Shows you how to fix everything.

Something really major, I'll hire someone.

I find that the BMW is a useless car. Same for most of the imports. If you want to go road racing I take my 94 Thunderbird. Cost 20,000 and is still in great condition. As for parts they are easy to get.

Everything surrounding BMWs have been a mystery to me.
-Price
-Reliability
-Cost
-Depreciation
-Owners

Why?

I haven't owned one in a very long time, but they used to be superb handling and driving cars with good power and a smooth engine. I am sure they are still nice, but all of your list above and their entry price makes them not worth it to me anymore.

The BMW is an outstanding car in every way, although the former description of 3-Series sedans - "...handles like it's on rails..." no longer applies. It is luxurious, powerful, comfortable, packed with features, safe, great in all weather conditions including snow, and very economical (35mpg actual highway). With the CPO warranty, we won't have to fix anything but brakes (a sore point with me) for the first 75 thousand miles.

I'm not saying that the initial purchase decision was wrong, only that the amount of depreciation on this car is terrible, even though, on a percentage basis it doesn't sound bad. And when I go over 50,000 miles I assume the value will drop badly, as "the market" knows that once a Beemer is off warranty it is likely to become a money pit. And the little-mentioned problem with a high-end car like this is unless you trade it on another high-end car, you will get royally screwed by the dealer. Can you imagine what a Chevy dealer would give me for a 5-year-old Beemer, trading on a new Blazer? Nothing.

My wife and I have a major disconnect when it comes to buying cars. I never buy new and she never buys used. I can't stand the initial depreciation and she can't stand the thought of "buying someone else's problems."

My daily driver is a '15 VW Diesel sportwagen, and my toy is an '07 MB 550SL (not counting the '04 Goldwing). Never had a problem with any of them. I spent less on the three of them combined that we spent on the Beemer.

The subject line reflects the conventional wisdom about BMW's. The bigger models depreciate a lot, but the resale value of the 3-series is pretty good.

Well...

30 months ago, my wife purchased - with my encouragement - a "certified used" 2017 BMW 330GT X-drive sedan. Without getting into serious high-performance models, this is about the nicest 3-series sedan they offer. It is a 4-door hatch, with the wheelbase and body stretched by 5 inches or so to increase rear seat legroom, and it's a great car.

The car was a current model year car in April of 2017, it had 5,000 miles on it, and the "Certified" warranty was actually much better than the new car warranty would have been. It runs to 75,000 miles vs 50k miles for new.

Sticker price on the car was $56k and we paid $46k. We put $16 thousand down and financed $30,000 over 60 months, at zero percent APR (which is why we didn't just buy it outright).

Now, 30 months later, the trade-in value is about $22,500, according to various sources. So it has depreciated almost $24 thousand dollars in 30 months.

Had we chosen to get a new 2017 Honda Accord EX-L for $30k, we would now have a car worth about $21,500. For all practical purposes, the two cars are about the same. The BMW's hatch gives us a little more utility, but not enough to make a difference, practically speaking.

Do the math.

Of course, there is no quantifying the joy of driving a BMW. But I don't think we will ever buy a "premium" car again. It is pointless.

You should have leased her a 7 series.

1. VERY happy wife.
2. You'd be far ahead on money.

-Price
-Reliability
-Cost
-Depreciation
-Owners

Why?
They USED to be anvil-solid cars with superb reliability. Not anymore.

There is nothing manufactured today that is "anvil-solid."

1. Live in a State with a rock-solid lemon law
2. Lease

Or just put your money in a pile and burn it. Leasing is car rental for the fiscally stupid.

Someone else has already eaten most of the depreciation on my next car...

43641789470.507630297.IM1.07.1000x750_A.1000x750.jpg

Well...

Do the math.

1. VERY happy wife.

How do you post this shit with a straight face?

-Price
-Reliability
-Cost
-Depreciation
-Owners

Why?

2. Lease

Or just put your money in a pile and burn it. Leasing is car rental for the fiscally stupid.

Buying a Fiat wouldn't be a smart idea unless you have lots of money for repairs.

Well...

Do the math.

1. VERY happy wife.

How do you post this shit with a straight face?

A 30 month lease would have been far less in cost with the same outcome.

-Price
-Reliability
-Cost
-Depreciation
-Owners

Why?

2. Lease

Buying a Fiat wouldn't be a smart idea unless you have lots of money for repairs.
Sit down, kid, the adults are talking. When you actually get your license, you might be able to get a nice car. You're on your own learning to drive a standard shift, though.

Forum List

Back