Global warming increases hurricane intensity, right?

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
So, right now, Hurricane Fred is the strongest hurricane "on record" that has ever been this far South East in the Atlantic Ocean.

According to Al Gore and GW alarmists, global warming is INCREASING the SST (sea surface temperatures) and this is causing hurricanes to grow stronger, right?

The fact that he leaves out so many other factors such as wind shear, steering patterns, pressure, upper level lows, cold core surface lows, dry air and Saharan dust (which has been a huge problem this year for hurricane development) is alarming.

Getting back to Fred, the problem with the first sentence is "on record." Why? Because according to someone who does this for a living, there is no way we would have been able to "see" how strong a hurricane was without satellites back in the very late 1960s and early 1970s. So, up until then, it would be nearly impossible, unless you had a ship with accurate instrumentation that traveled directly into the core of the hurricane and take pressure and wind readings, there is absolutely no way that a ship would ever know (or survive for that matter) how strong a hurricane is. What this means is that every single record for non-landfalling hurricanes before satellites were available to weather forecasters, is inaccurate, which completely throws Al Gore's theory out the window.

Here's the discussion:

WTNT42 KNHC 091442
TCDAT2
HURRICANE FRED DISCUSSION NUMBER 8
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL072009
1100 AM AST WED SEP 09 2009

FRED HAS CONTINUED TO RAPIDLY INTENSIFY THIS MORNING AND IS NOW A
MAJOR HURRICANE. SATELLITE IMAGES SHOW THAT THE EYE HAS BECOME
DISTINCT ON BOTH VISIBLE AND INFRARED CHANNELS AND REMAINS
EMBEDDED WITHIN A COLD CENTRAL DENSE OVERCAST. THE LATEST DVORAK
ESTIMATES FROM TAFB/SAB ARE 102 KT...WITH OBJECTIVE T-NUMBERS NEAR
115 KT. THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS RAISED TO 105 KT...MAKING FRED
THE SECOND MAJOR HURRICANE OF THE SEASON.

ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE TODAY BEFORE INCREASING SHEAR
AND SLIGHTLY COOLER WATERS CAUSE FRED TO WEAKEN TOMORROW.
THEREAFTER...THE HURRICANE WILL BE MOVING OVER MARGINAL SSTS COOLER
AND INTO A DRIER MID-LEVEL AIRMASS...WHICH SHOULD ENHANCE THE
WEAKENING EFFECTS OF THE EXPECTED STRONG SHEAR. THE LATEST NHC
FORECAST IS CLOSE TO A BLEND OF THE SHIPS MODEL AND THE PREVIOUS
FORECAST. THE GFDL AND HWRF MODELS...WHICH APPEAR TO BE LESS
SENSITIVE TO INCREASED SHEAR...DO NOT WEAKEN FRED NEARLY AS MUCH AS
THE OFFICIAL FORECAST AT DAYS 4 AND 5.

THE MOTION CONTINUES TO BEND GRADUALLY TO THE RIGHT AND IS NOW ABOUT
305/11. THERE IS NO CHANGE TO THE FORECAST REASONING AS MOST
GUIDANCE IS WELL-CLUSTERED ON A GRADUAL TURN TOWARD THE NORTH AND
NORTHEAST DUE TO A MID- TO UPPER-LEVEL TROUGH OVER THE CENTRAL
ATLANTIC. IN ABOUT 48 HOURS...ALL GUIDANCE SIGNIFICANTLY
DECELERATES FRED AS THE HURRICANE BECOMES CAUGHT IN LIGHT STEERING
CURRENTS. MOST OF THE GLOBAL MODELS REBUILD THE RIDGE TO THE NORTH
OF FRED BY THE END OF FORECAST PERIOD...WHICH WOULD CAUSE THE
CYCLONE TO MOVE MORE TO THE NORTHWEST. THE OFFICIAL FORECAST IS
SLIGHTLY EAST OF THE MODEL CONSENSUS INITIALLY...THEN ENDS UP
SOMEWHAT TO THE WEST IN THE ANTICIPATION THAT A WEAKER SYSTEM WOULD
TAKE A MORE WESTWARD PATH. THE TWO BIGGEST OUTLIERS TO THIS
FORECAST ARE THE GFDL AND HWRF...WHICH TAKE FRED FARTHER NORTH THAN
MOST OF THE OTHER MODELS...PROBABLY BECAUSE THEY KEEP IT AS A DEEP
CYCLONE FOR TOO LONG.

IT IS QUITE UNUSUAL TO HAVE SUCH A POWERFUL SYSTEM SO FAR EAST IN
THE BASIN AND FRED IS ONLY THE THIRD MAJOR HURRICANE NOTED EAST OF
35W IN THE TROPICAL ATLANTIC OCEAN...AND THE STRONGEST HURRICANE SO
FAR SOUTH AND EAST IN OUR DATA RECORD. THIS TYPE OF SYSTEM...
HOWEVER...WOULD HAVE BEEN VERY DIFFICULT TO ACCURATELY OBSERVE
BEFORE SATELLITE PICTURES BEGAN IN THE 1960S.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 09/1500Z 13.9N 32.4W 105 KT
12HR VT 10/0000Z 14.9N 33.5W 110 KT
24HR VT 10/1200Z 16.2N 34.3W 105 KT
36HR VT 11/0000Z 17.2N 34.7W 90 KT
48HR VT 11/1200Z 17.7N 34.6W 80 KT
72HR VT 12/1200Z 18.7N 34.0W 60 KT
96HR VT 13/1200Z 20.5N 34.2W 45 KT
120HR VT 14/1200Z 23.5N 36.0W 30 KT

$$
FORECASTER BLAKE

Thou shall not question the veracity of ManMade GlobalWarming Climate Change Great Climatic Googly Moogly

Temperature IS one the major ingredients for huricanes...

That's like saying flour is one of the ingredients for cake. Flour alone does not a hurricane make.

Correct, but without the right temperatures it's impossible for a hurricane to form.
So as I posted, it's the main ingredient for a hurricane....or the starting one...

So my SUV is not only warming Jupiter, Saturn, Mars but it's also causing more powerful hurricanes in the Atlantic.

Is that about, right?

Okay, so now the world is cooling and they can't claim it's getting hot anymore ... what are they using as the boogieman? Hurricanes. Yep ... another failed prediction which was shifted to something else.

Okay, so now the world is cooling and they can't claim it's getting hot anymore ... what are they using as the boogieman? Hurricanes. Yep ... another failed prediction which was shifted to something else.

It's now called "ManMade GlobalWarming GlobalWarmerCoolering GlobalCoolerWarmering Climate Change Great Climatic Googly Moogly", just so we catch it all

Really? You should fact check before posting...2009 is just below average...

2 cool years does not make a trend.

Data @ NASA GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Graphs

Neither does a two year warming ... :eusa_whistle:

WOW, try that fact checking thing I mentioned....:cuckoo:

Fact: We are only a few years behind our normal cycle in cooling/warming ... nothing more.

Care to back that up with some data?

It's data from Chris, ask him to post that chart again.

LOL, fail.

It's data from all the meteorologists and weather stations, you can't say we're cooling because it's false. We have had a couple of cool years, but the trend from when temperatures were first collected to date shows we're warming. The only debate is how much humans have impacted the normal chain of events...

Care to back that up with some data?

LOL, fail.

It's data from all the meteorologists and weather stations, you can't say we're cooling because it's false. We have had a couple of cool years, but the trend from when temperatures were first collected to date shows we're warming. The only debate is how much humans have impacted the normal chain of events...

Projecting your failure isn't good. Chris posted the data to "support" a warming trend, yet it only showed a few years off from when we should be cooling based on the "normal" cycle (yeah, normal, for nature, that's a laugh). So, if a few years of cooling is not a trend, then neither is the warming, simple logic based on the science environuts are using. I don't have it bookmarked, because it wasn't my source. ;)

All the data collected conflicts with itself, unless you ignore a lot of it. Big picture, we can't change a damned thing, period.

LOL, fail.

Projecting your failure isn't good. Chris posted the data to "support" a warming trend, yet it only showed a few years off from when we should be cooling based on the "normal" cycle (yeah, normal, for nature, that's a laugh). So, if a few years of cooling is not a trend, then neither is the warming, simple logic based on the science environuts are using. I don't have it bookmarked, because it wasn't my source. ;)

All the data collected conflicts with itself, unless you ignore a lot of it. Big picture, we can't change a damned thing, period.

Nice deflection, still haven't answered the question with data to back it up, show me we're cooling. IMO I would LOOOOVE to see a cooling trend. But we're in a strong El Nino this year....and expanding on the that note, back to the OP...damn can't find a link to an article in the Oregonian from McClatchy Newspapers, "El Nino Puts Brakes on Hurricanes", the short version; El Nino generates strong wind shear over the Atlantic basin and is effecting the upper-level circulation throughout the global tropics, preventing Hurricanes from developing.

LOL, fail.

Nice deflection, still haven't answered the question with data to back it up, show me we're cooling. IMO I would LOOOOVE to see a cooling trend. But we're in a strong El Nino this year....and expanding on the that note, back to the OP...damn can't find a link to an article in the Oregonian from McClatchy Newspapers, "El Nino Puts Brakes on Hurricanes", the short version; El Nino generates strong wind shear over the Atlantic basin and is effecting the upper-level circulation throughout the global tropics, preventing Hurricanes from developing.

Not a deflection, I admitted that I didn't bookmark it but told you who has it bookmarked, at least he did when it supported his side of the argument. I don't make it a habit of bookmarking or even visiting environut sites like that so finding it would be almost impossible for me. ;) You can try yourself, it was some chart from the national something or other. I hate cold weather by the way, and it's been cold here for more than a few years, we've had snow storms in Seattle the last 10 years almost ... but don't let that confuse you.

Don't let facts cloud your opinion, it snows almost every year at Sea-Tac...for 49 years of compiled data it has snowed an average of inches 11.8" yearly...

SEATTLE SEA-TAC AP, WA 49 5.0 1.6 1.4 0.1 T 0.0 T 0.0 T 0.0 1.2 2.5 11.8

National - Average Snowfall

Forum List

Back