Summer Temps Below Average for USA; 34th coolest on record

Discussion in 'Environment' started by ozzmdj, Sep 12, 2009.

1. ozzmdj

ozzmdj Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
  2. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

I live in Indiana and visited Minnesota this year. I'll confirm that it has been cool in both locations. I happen to prefer the warmer end of the normal temperature variation in both places. Oh, well. At least the economic recovery continues, I guess, I'm told. Oh, God, how the cash rolls in...

I was looking for a map of temperature stations and stumbled across this article:

http://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/surfacestationsreport_spring09.pdf

In it is an interesting description of various items, no map, on the collection of US Weather Data by NOAA. One part is about the change from Whitewash used in the early part of the record to Latex paint used since the 70's to coat the little bird house looking thingy's used to shield the thermometers.

The 70's is a point in the record when there was a big uptick in the "warming". See the comments on the effect in the change of the coating materials on the shielding structures below:

<snip> from page 4:

One is bare wood, unpainted, as a control; the middle one is
    painted with latex, as sent by the supplier; and the third is painted with
    a historically accurate (for early twentieth century) whitewash mixture
    that I obtained (both materials and formula) from the head chemist at the National Lime Company.

<snip> from page 5

This test showed that changes to the surface coatings did
    make a difference in the temperatures recorded in these
    standard thermometer shelters, shown in Figure 3. I found
    a 0.3º F difference in maximum temperature and a 0.8º F
    difference in minimum temperature between the whitewashand
    latex-painted screens. This is a big difference, especially
    when we consider that the concern over anthropogenic
    global warming was triggered by what these stations
    reported was an increase of about 1.2º F over the entire
    twentieth century.

<snip>

Code again. Quote has ended. Please recall also that from the 70's forward, virtually every temperature in the record has been adjusted upward by NOAA to account for innaccuracies. Interesting to those who wonder about such things.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  3. Polk

Polk Classic

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +569
    And?

4. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

Sorry to leave you hanging. There really is no "and". I just thought that it was interesting.

If you read the article, Watts explains that various temperature stations have been engulfed by Urbanization where once there was a rural setting.

The heat island effect is well documented. If the Latex paint adds to the readings over and above that and then the readings are adusted upward again after having been recorded, how many upward anthropogenic adjustments are required to completely overwhelm the actual recorded warming?

We're only talking about a degree in any event.

5. k2skier

k2skier Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50
    yep sounds irrelevant, in the PNW we tied a record yesterday for the most 90 degree days in a year, and if today gets over 90 we'll set a new record for the year, anomalies

6. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

Glads to hear that Summer was present somewhere. It was AWOL in the Mid West.

The vast temperature differences really makes one question the accurracy of projections made in the Arctic where there are comparitively few temperature stations and the last one in any particular area covers 1000's of square miles.

When Portland Oregon is having one of it's warmest Summers and Minneapolis is having one of its coolest Summers, the variability of weather at latitude across distance really is punctuated.

Nationwide, this Summer has produced about 3000 record low highs and record low lows.

I know in Indy, the number of 90 degree days has been very low. In 2007, there were weeks when it never got below 85 even at night and we were knocking on the door for 100 often in August.

That was too hot. This year too cool. I like Baby Bear Weather.

7. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    The sun is at its lowest level of activity in 80 years, and the ocean temperatures are the highest ever recorded.

8. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315
    NOAA: Warmest Global Ocean Surface Temperatures on Record for July
    16 August 2009
    The planet&#8217;s ocean surface temperature was the warmest on record for July, breaking the previous high mark established in 1998 according to an analysis by NOAA&#8217;s National Climatic Data Center. The combined average global land and ocean surface temperature for July 2009 ranked fifth-warmest since world-wide records began in 1880.

The global ocean surface temperature for July 2009 was the warmest on record, 1.06 °F (0.59 °C) above the 20th century average of 61.5 °F (16.4 °C). This broke the previous July record set in 1998. The July ocean surface temperature departure of 1.06 °F from the long-term average equals last month&#8217;s value, which was also a record.
    The global land surface temperature for July 2009 was 0.92 °F (0.51 °C) above the 20th century average of 57.8 °F (14.3 °C), and tied with 2003 as the ninth-warmest July on record.
    The combined global land and ocean surface temperature for July 2009 was the fifth warmest on record, at 1.03 °F (0.57 °C) above the 20th century average of 60.4 °F (15.8 °C).

Green Car Congress: NOAA: Warmest Global Ocean Surface Temperatures on Record for July

9. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,714
    I'm surprised that as mild as it's been this summer that any of that ice at the North Pole got the chance to melt. Maybe it was warmer up there! Maybe this is just all bullshit too.:lol:

10. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,315