George Patton quotes for this Friday.

Patton considered the final disposition of WWII a huge failure for civilization because all we did was help trade one brutal dictator for someone far worse.

No we didn't

We saved Western Europe and emerged as the most powerful nation in the world
The Soviets never turned out to be the global threat that post WWII alarmists claimed they would be

Most powerful nation in the world? When did the Soviets get nukes?
The U.S. was the only major power to emerge from the war with our economy intact. The Soviets could not match our military, especially our naval forces. Are you familiar with our Navy at all?

You idiot. In 1945 the Soviet army was a tiny shell and was totally dependent upon American weapons and ammunition. The population hated Stalin, Russians were doing their best to get to the West. We could have taken Moscow in a week.

You show why I hate public education. They never teach important things and idiots like you go off on uneducated rants.

The Soviets had the best armored divisions in the war and knew how to use them. They also had superior artillery
They also knew the terrain they would be fighting on

Russia had already taken 20 million losses...they could withstand another million
The American public would have never stood for another 100,000 losses to conquer a former ally
Dude, by 1945 all the Soviets had were US tanks with a red star painted on them firing US ammunition.

Russian people did everything they could to flee to the West. They would have supported the removal of Stalin and the world would have been much better off.

Now you are just making shit up

The Soviet T-34 tank was vastly superior to the Sherman tank. They also had superior artillery.
All the US gave the Soviets to fight were Studebaker trucks

The Russian people may have disliked Stalin before the war, but the Nazi invasion made them rally around Mother Russia. They would have reacted the same to a US invasion

No, even like Bush learned........they would not treat us as liberators

General Patton stuns Marshall Zhukov into silence - Nobility and Analogous Traditional Elites

"Pat Merle-Smith has told me of what took place during a second Berlin visit in the first week of September 1945. “The Russians were putting on a military review for all four occupying powers. [General Patton] was seated next to Marshal Zhukov and I, naturally, was with the standees a few rows below. I heard quite clearly what was said when some huge Soviet tanks passed by. ‘My dear General Patton, you see that tank, it carries a cannon which can throw a shell seven miles.’ Patton answered, ‘Indeed?’ Well, my dear Marshal Zhukov, let me tell you this, if any of my gunners started firing at your people before they had closed to less than seven hundred yards I’d have them court-martialed for cowardice.’ It was the first time I saw a Russian commander stunned into silence.”

19-patton-zhukov-berlin.jpg

D'oh!

Once again showing that Patton is a moron

let me tell you this, if any of my gunners started firing at your people before they had closed to less than seven hundred yards I’d have them court-martialed for cowardice

If my tank can lay shells on you before you can lay shells on me...I win

If I wait till 700 yards when we are both in each others range, I am wasting my tactical advantage

Zhukov's T-34s were vastly superior to Patton's Shermans
Your love of Uncle Joe is vastly superior to your love of America

The Soviets had the best armored divisions in the war and knew how to use them. They also had superior artillery

Russia had already taken 20 million losses...they could withstand another million
The American public would have never stood for another 100,000 losses to conquer a former ally
Dude, by 1945 all the Soviets had were US tanks with a red star painted on them firing US ammunition.

Russian people did everything they could to flee to the West. They would have supported the removal of Stalin and the world would have been much better off.

The Soviet T-34 tank was vastly superior to the Sherman tank. They also had superior artillery.

The Russian people may have disliked Stalin before the war, but the Nazi invasion made them rally around Mother Russia. They would have reacted the same to a US invasion

General Patton stuns Marshall Zhukov into silence - Nobility and Analogous Traditional Elites

"Pat Merle-Smith has told me of what took place during a second Berlin visit in the first week of September 1945. “The Russians were putting on a military review for all four occupying powers. [General Patton] was seated next to Marshal Zhukov and I, naturally, was with the standees a few rows below. I heard quite clearly what was said when some huge Soviet tanks passed by. ‘My dear General Patton, you see that tank, it carries a cannon which can throw a shell seven miles.’ Patton answered, ‘Indeed?’ Well, my dear Marshal Zhukov, let me tell you this, if any of my gunners started firing at your people before they had closed to less than seven hundred yards I’d have them court-martialed for cowardice.’ It was the first time I saw a Russian commander stunned into silence.”

D'oh!

let me tell you this, if any of my gunners started firing at your people before they had closed to less than seven hundred yards I’d have them court-martialed for cowardice

If I wait till 700 yards when we are both in each others range, I am wasting my tactical advantage

The Soviets developed awesome tanks and artillery and knew how to use them

Patton was an idiot to want to fight them unnecessarily

Your quote about Zhukov...I imagine he was stunned to silence
Over such a moronic statement

D'oh!

Oh gee. color me shocked. Lefty glorifying the Soviet Union with his wild fantasies while attacking American heroes.

Patton considered the final disposition of WWII a huge failure for civilization because all we did was help trade one brutal dictator for someone far worse.

No we didn't

The Soviets never turned out to be the global threat that post WWII alarmists claimed they would be

The U.S. was the only major power to emerge from the war with our economy intact. The Soviets could not match our military, especially our naval forces. Are you familiar with our Navy at all?
Answer his question. When did the Soviets obtain their first nuke?

D'oh!

Oh gee. color me shocked. Lefty glorifying the Soviet Union with his wild fantasies while attacking American heroes.
Just accurately reporting the reality of WWII

The reality is that we won the war in the Pacific
The Soviets defeated the Nazis

No we didn't

Answer his question. When did the Soviets obtain their first nuke?
Irrelevant

We were always more powerful militarily ......by a wide margin

Soviet pilot Viktor Belenko defected to Japan with his MiG-25 jet in 1976 the amazing "titanium" plane immediately started to rust at the airport in Japan because it was mostly steel and the advanced electronics we nothing more than vacuum tubes - I liked it better when the ruskies sticked to the claim of inventing television!

Soviet pilot Viktor Belenko defected to Japan with his MiG-25 jet in 1976 the amazing "titanium" plane immediately started to rust at the airport in Japan because it was mostly steel and the advanced electronics we nothing more than vacuum tubes - I liked it better when the ruskies sticked to the claim of inventing television!
When the Soviet Union fell, we saw their military was nowhere near the threat our military had made them seem. Their equipment was obsolete and poorly maintained. Their troops were poorly trained and had horrible morale.

Patton's "warts and controversies" were trivial fiction created by the left wing media. If you want to talk about "warts and controversies" all you need to say is the Death March and the incredible U.S. defeat at Corrigador and Bataan but for some reason the loss of an entire Army doesn't have the same media impact as slapping an enlisted man.. MacArthur was criticized in WW1 for being too much of a theoretical planner and not enough of a front line commander when he hesitated rather than advancing his Troops at a critical time but he survived the criticism thanks to the benevolence of Pershing and the media. The same character flaw emerged in WW2 and even in Korea but MacArthur was the darling of the media but Patton's slapping of an enlisted man put him on the wrong side of the media forever. Look at how Hollywood enhanced MacArthur's legacy with a solid heroic actor Gregory Peck and how they portrayed Patton with a quirky and often unpredictable actor George C. Scott. MacArthur's incompetence in the Philippines and abandoning his Army in the face of the enemy (under orders from FDR) should have caused his dismissal but his fawning press agents (and the political award of the Medal of Honor) turned it around. His possibly age related mental condition when he was in his 70's during Korea led to U.S Troops walking into the biggest ambush in history. The point is that Patton was a genuine hard charger hero but he didn't have a press agent and his untimely death is still controversial despite a lack of interest by the media but thanks to pop-history all we remember is the "warts and controversies". MacArthur's flawed Chosin Campaign (sanctioned by timid president Truman) turned the victory in Korea into an embarrassing truce dictated by the Chinese Communists and 50,000 lives in three years years. Coincidentally Patton's competence is generally ignored as much as MacArthur's incompetence but that's the way pop history works these days. MacArthur's (and timid Harry Truman's) incompetence resulted in the mess we have lived with for more than half a century in Korea.

Last edited:
Patton's "warts and controversies" were trivial fiction created by the left wing media. If you want to talk about "warts and controversies" all you need to say is the Death March and the incredible U.S. defeat at Corrigador and Bataan but for some reason the loss of an entire Army doesn't have the same media impact as slapping an enlisted man.. MacArthur was criticized in WW1 for being too much of a theoretical planner and not enough of a front line commander when he hesitated rather than advancing his Troops at a critical time but he survived the criticism thanks to the benevolence of Pershing and the media. The same character flaw emerged in WW2 and even in Korea but MacArthur was the darling of the media but Patton's slapping of an enlisted man put him on the wrong side of the media forever. Look at how Hollywood enhanced MacArthur's legacy with a solid heroic actor Gregory Peck and how they portrayed Patton with a quirky and often unpredictable actor George C. Scott. MacArthur's incompetence in the Philippines and abandoning his Army in the face of the enemy (under orders from FDR) should have caused his dismissal but his fawning press agents (and the political award of the Medal of Honor) turned it around. His possibly age related mental condition when he was in his 70's during Korea led to U.S Troops walking into the biggest ambush in history. The point is that Patton was a genuine hard charger hero but he didn't have a press agent and his untimely death is still controversial despite a lack of interest by the media but thanks to pop-history all we remember is the "warts and controversies". MacArthur's flawed Chosin Campaign (sanctioned by timid president Truman) turned the victory in Korea into an embarrassing truce dictated by the Chinese Communists and 50,000 lives in three years years. Coincidentally Patton's competence is generally ignored as much as MacArthur's incompetence but that's the way pop history works these days. MacArthur's (and timid Harry Truman's) incompetence resulted in the mess we have lived with for more than half a century in Korea.
MacArthur was credited with winning the war in the Pacific......it was Nimitz

MacArthur lost the Philipines and spent the whole war and tens of thousand of lives fulfilling...I shall return, when they were inconsequential to victory

You moron. America lost tens of thousands of lives in the Cold War. Training accidents, operational accidents, etc etc. Hell, just in the Berlin Airlift alone we had 76 casualties. The world was a blink away from all out nuclear war in 1963.

Compared to the hundreds of thousands we would have lost by invading Russia?
You idiot. In 1945 the Soviet army was a tiny shell and was totally dependent upon American weapons and ammunition. The population hated Stalin, Russians were doing their best to get to the West. We could have taken Moscow in a week.

You show why I hate public education. They never teach important things and idiots like you go off on uneducated rants.

We had strategic bombers and nuclear weapons like the Russians had never seen. Incinerating that place in 1945 would have been a centuries-long gift to the world.

Compared to the hundreds of thousands we would have lost by invading Russia?

We had strategic bombers and nuclear weapons like the Russians had never seen. Incinerating that place in 1945 would have been a centuries-long gift to the world.

Keep in mind....Patton made his threat against Russia in May 1945, we did not have nuclear bombs until August and we only had three

We would have invaded an enemy who had already faced down the Nazi army and killed a million troops

Americans do not have the stomach for that kind of carnage

I most prefer a Kenneth McAuliffe quote.

. In December, 1944, due to the absence of General Maxwell D. Taylor, he was acting Commander of the 101st Airborne Division and other attached troops during the siege of Bastogne, Belgium. When they became surrounded and the Germans demanded their surrender, he sent back a one-word reply "NUTS." This is probably the most famous quote of World War II. In 1945, he commanded the 103rd Infantry Division until the end of the war in Europe.
Apparently he wrote "fuk you" but "nuts" seemed to fit the propaganda venue that turned a incomprehensible intelligence failure and the loss of 50,000 American and Allied Troops into some sort of a crazy victory.

I most prefer a Kenneth McAuliffe quote.

. In December, 1944, due to the absence of General Maxwell D. Taylor, he was acting Commander of the 101st Airborne Division and other attached troops during the siege of Bastogne, Belgium. When they became surrounded and the Germans demanded their surrender, he sent back a one-word reply "NUTS." This is probably the most famous quote of World War II. In 1945, he commanded the 103rd Infantry Division until the end of the war in Europe.

The Full Story Of The US Army General Who Replied Only 'Nuts!' When Asked To Surrender During WWII

The Full Story Of The US Army General Who Replied Only 'Nuts!' When Asked To Surrender During WWII

An excerpt from the bonus army accounts. Patton and MacArthur should have been ashamed. In the very least.

At 4:45 p.m., commanded by General Douglas MacArthur, the 12th Infantry Regiment, Fort Howard, Maryland, and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, supported by six M1917 light tanks commanded by Maj. George S. Patton, formed in Pennsylvania Avenue while thousands of civil service employees left work to line the street and watch. The Bonus Marchers, believing the troops were marching in their honor, cheered the troops until Patton ordered[citation needed] the cavalry to charge them, which prompted the spectators to yell, "Shame! Shame!"[citation needed]

Shacks that members of the Bonus Army erected on the Anacostia Flats burning after its confrontation with the army.
After the cavalry charged, the infantry, with fixed bayonets and tear gas (adamsite, an arsenical vomiting agent) entered the camps, evicting veterans, families, and camp followers. The veterans fled across the Anacostia River to their largest camp, and Hoover ordered the assault stopped. MacArthur chose to ignore the president and ordered a new attack, claiming that the Bonus March was an attempt to overthrow the US government; 55 veterans were injured and 135 arrested.[14] A veteran's wife miscarried. When 12-week-old Bernard Myers died in the hospital after being caught in the tear gas attack, a government investigation reported he died of enteritis, and a hospital spokesman said the tear gas "didn't do it any good."[20]

During the military operation, Major Dwight D. Eisenhower, later the 34th president of the United States, served as one of MacArthur's junior aides.[21] Believing it wrong for the Army's highest-ranking officer to lead an action against fellow American war veterans, he strongly advised MacArthur against taking any public role: "I told that dumb son-of-a-bitch not to go down there," he said later. "I told him it was no place for the Chief of Staff."[22] Despite his misgivings, Eisenhower later wrote the Army's official incident report that endorsed MacArthur's conduct.[23]

Bonus Army - Wikipedia

An excerpt from the bonus army accounts. Patton and MacArthur should have been ashamed. In the very least.

At 4:45 p.m., commanded by General Douglas MacArthur, the 12th Infantry Regiment, Fort Howard, Maryland, and the 3rd Cavalry Regiment, supported by six M1917 light tanks commanded by Maj. George S. Patton, formed in Pennsylvania Avenue while thousands of civil service employees left work to line the street and watch. The Bonus Marchers, believing the troops were marching in their honor, cheered the troops until Patton ordered[citation needed] the cavalry to charge them, which prompted the spectators to yell, "Shame! Shame!"[citation needed]

Shacks that members of the Bonus Army erected on the Anacostia Flats burning after its confrontation with the army.
After the cavalry charged, the infantry, with fixed bayonets and tear gas (adamsite, an arsenical vomiting agent) entered the camps, evicting veterans, families, and camp followers. The veterans fled across the Anacostia River to their largest camp, and Hoover ordered the assault stopped. MacArthur chose to ignore the president and ordered a new attack, claiming that the Bonus March was an attempt to overthrow the US government; 55 veterans were injured and 135 arrested.[14] A veteran's wife miscarried. When 12-week-old Bernard Myers died in the hospital after being caught in the tear gas attack, a government investigation reported he died of enteritis, and a hospital spokesman said the tear gas "didn't do it any good."[20]

During the military operation, Major Dwight D. Eisenhower, later the 34th president of the United States, served as one of MacArthur's junior aides.[21] Believing it wrong for the Army's highest-ranking officer to lead an action against fellow American war veterans, he strongly advised MacArthur against taking any public role: "I told that dumb son-of-a-bitch not to go down there," he said later. "I told him it was no place for the Chief of Staff."[22] Despite his misgivings, Eisenhower later wrote the Army's official incident report that endorsed MacArthur's conduct.[23]

Bonus Army - Wikipedia

That is a black eye on our country, and Patton whom I hold in great esteem.

Thank God he wasn't a democrook though, everyone would have been killed.

Forum List

Back