Detroit Public Schools: 93% Not Proficient in Reading; 96% Not Proficient in Math

Ford's work force was never all or even mostly black in the 70s. True for GM and Chrysler too.
BINGO!!!
Meaning what?
Bingo is pretty much defined. The US could not compete with Asia given a largely illiterate and spoiled work force. WTF did you think it meant? America was privileged for decades after WW II, but that was never going to last forever.
As it relates to the auto industry, I do not think your point is valid. The Japanese automakers produced efficient, reliable, and inexpensive automobiles at a time when the US companies were producing junk. The result was many baby boomers, who were coming of age in the 70s, bought Japanese cars in large numbers and never went back.

Secondly, the management of the Big Three were never majority African American in the 70s...or even today. So your efforts to denigrate blacks for the failure of the Big Three, is unfounded. Blacks were working in high numbers in the assembly plants, were literacy was not a prerequisite for making a good car. The failures of the Big Three in the 70s and 80s, were the fault of management and union. Blaming blacks for this failure, is absurd.

“We need to spend more tax dollars on education.” --- (the voice of scores of governors, congressmen, and state political leaders.)

Why? To support the self-serving teachers’ unions? To prove once again that a lack of money is not the reason USA students fair so poorly compared to far less privileged countries around the world?

Keep that tenure program rolling though. Don’t anyone dare compensate teachers based on performance, keep it longevity.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/detroit-public-schools-93-not-proficient-reading-96-not-proficient

By Terence P. Jeffrey | October 28, 2015 | 4:15 PM EDT

(CNSNews.com) - In the Detroit public school district, 96 percent of eighth graders are not proficient in mathematics and 93 percent are not proficient in reading.

That is according to the results of the 2015 National Assessment of Educational Progress tests published by the Department of Education’s National Center for Educational Statistics.

Only 4 percent of Detroit public school eighth graders are proficient or better in math and only 7 percent in reading. This is despite the fact that in the 2011-2012 school year—the latest for which the Department of Education has reported the financial data—the Detroit public schools had “total expenditures” of $18,361 per student and “current expenditures” of $13,330 per student.

According to data published by the Detroit Public Schools, the school district’s operating expenses in the fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2014 amounted to approximately $14,743 per student.

Nationwide, only 33 percent of public-school eighth graders scored proficient or better in reading in 2015 and only 32 percent scored proficient or better in mathematics.

In 2015, 21 large urban school districts participated in the NAEP tests in reading and mathematics as part of what the Department of Education calls its Trial Urban District Assessment (TUDA). Among these 21 districts, the Detroit Public Schools had the smallest percentages of eighth graders scoring proficient or better in reading and math.

In reading, the Cleveland public schools were next to last among the large urban school districts with only 11 percent scoring proficient or better. Baltimore and Fresno were tied for third worst with only 13 percent scoring proficient or better; and Philadelphia ranked fifth worst with only 16 percent scoring proficient or better.

The Cleveland public schools also ranked next to last in math, with only 9 percent of eight graders scoring proficient or better. Baltimore and Fresno were also tied for third worst in math, with only 12 percent scoring proficient or better; and Los Angeles ranked fifth worst with 15 percent scoring proficient or better in math.

The Department of Education has published fiscal information on the Detroit public schools for the 2011-2012 school year. That year, the Detroit Public Schools had total expenditures of $1,231,375,000, equaling $18,361 per student. $271,358,000 of the school district's funding for the 2011-2012 school year came from the federal government.

Thanks for the spelling lesson - you say " USA students fair so poorly". I would have spelled it fare instead. Guess I can blame my teachers, who were union members, unlike your superior non union teachers

Touche.

I, myself, may pick at bones but I let an occasional misspell go by for others. I also let "could care less" go by endlessly, so I wonder if you would admit having ever done that misstep? : )

I make mistakes all the time. I see a thread about students not being educated and think it's an opening to take a cheap shot about spelling in fun. My bad and I apologize.

Detroit, eh? I wonder why.

For one thing, it's only industry was making cars. It should have been more diverse.
It is more diverse. We just happened to be the manufacturing capitol of the world because of the auto industries. You send all those jobs to Canada Mexico and china what do you expect other than a great recession.

We're becoming a service economy. We don't manufacture anything.

Anyways, besides that, even when Michigan was booming Detroit was always a huge poor city. The big three and their suppliers hired a lot of blacks but not enough to solve poverty in Detroit.

So, you have really poor neighborhoods with really troubled kids with really poor parents and you don't get the best teachers to teach in those areas.

The Detroit's Saginaw and flint of America are our embarrassment but what can you do when people who shouldn't have kids do?

Come on, you gonna blame the schools?

Ford's work force was never all or even mostly black in the 70s. True for GM and Chrysler too.
BINGO!!!
Meaning what?
Bingo is pretty much defined. The US could not compete with Asia given a largely illiterate and spoiled work force. WTF did you think it meant? America was privileged for decades after WW II, but that was never going to last forever.
As it relates to the auto industry, I do not think your point is valid. The Japanese automakers produced efficient, reliable, and inexpensive automobiles at a time when the US companies were producing junk. The result was many baby boomers, who were coming of age in the 70s, bought Japanese cars in large numbers and never went back.

Secondly, the management of the Big Three were never majority African American in the 70s...or even today. So your efforts to denigrate blacks for the failure of the Big Three, is unfounded. Blacks were working in high numbers in the assembly plants, were literacy was not a prerequisite for making a good car. The failures of the Big Three in the 70s and 80s, were the fault of management and union. Blaming blacks for this failure, is absurd.
My dad worked at Ford. You know those lazy union workers people talk about? You know how many of them were black? One of the guys my dad worked with was a nice smooth talking brother. A hustler. A great paying job wasn't enough. He tried stealing a car.

Yes there were bad white union workers too but blacks played the union to a tee.

Many of those jobs on the assembly line and others are now automated, so where does a poorly educated person go for a job, how about the mills in Gary?
Should America make education equal for all students; we have never had nor should we expect to have all American students start out with an equal education in the United States.

“We need to spend more tax dollars on education.” --- (the voice of scores of governors, congressmen, and state political leaders.)

Why? To support the self-serving teachers’ unions? To prove once again that a lack of money is not the reason USA students fair so poorly compared to far less privileged countries around the world?

Keep that tenure program rolling though. Don’t anyone dare compensate teachers based on performance, keep it longevity.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/detroit-public-schools-93-not-proficient-reading-96-not-proficient

By Terence P. Jeffrey | October 28, 2015 | 4:15 PM EDT

(CNSNews.com) - In the Detroit public school district, 96 percent of eighth graders are not proficient in mathematics and 93 percent are not proficient in reading.

That is according to the results of the 2015 National Assessment of Educational Progress tests published by the Department of Education’s National Center for Educational Statistics.

Only 4 percent of Detroit public school eighth graders are proficient or better in math and only 7 percent in reading. This is despite the fact that in the 2011-2012 school year—the latest for which the Department of Education has reported the financial data—the Detroit public schools had “total expenditures” of $18,361 per student and “current expenditures” of $13,330 per student.

According to data published by the Detroit Public Schools, the school district’s operating expenses in the fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2014 amounted to approximately $14,743 per student.

Nationwide, only 33 percent of public-school eighth graders scored proficient or better in reading in 2015 and only 32 percent scored proficient or better in mathematics.

In 2015, 21 large urban school districts participated in the NAEP tests in reading and mathematics as part of what the Department of Education calls its Trial Urban District Assessment (TUDA). Among these 21 districts, the Detroit Public Schools had the smallest percentages of eighth graders scoring proficient or better in reading and math.

In reading, the Cleveland public schools were next to last among the large urban school districts with only 11 percent scoring proficient or better. Baltimore and Fresno were tied for third worst with only 13 percent scoring proficient or better; and Philadelphia ranked fifth worst with only 16 percent scoring proficient or better.

The Cleveland public schools also ranked next to last in math, with only 9 percent of eight graders scoring proficient or better. Baltimore and Fresno were also tied for third worst in math, with only 12 percent scoring proficient or better; and Los Angeles ranked fifth worst with 15 percent scoring proficient or better in math.

The Department of Education has published fiscal information on the Detroit public schools for the 2011-2012 school year. That year, the Detroit Public Schools had total expenditures of $1,231,375,000, equaling $18,361 per student. $271,358,000 of the school district's funding for the 2011-2012 school year came from the federal government.

Thanks for the spelling lesson - you say " USA students fair so poorly". I would have spelled it fare instead. Guess I can blame my teachers, who were union members, unlike your superior non union teachers

Touche.

I, myself, may pick at bones but I let an occasional misspell go by for others. I also let "could care less" go by endlessly, so I wonder if you would admit having ever done that misstep? : )

I make mistakes all the time. I see a thread about students not being educated and think it's an opening to take a cheap shot about spelling in fun. My bad and I apologize.

Well, I guess it kind of was an opening, and I surely was not indignant over your "cheap shot." It was a bit apropos. : )

Nonetheless, I appreciate you taking the time, and a bit of humility, few would. We can argue about something else later. : ) Thanks.

Many of those jobs on the assembly line and others are now automated, so where does a poorly educated person go for a job, how about the mills in Gary?
Should America make education equal for all students; we have never had nor should we expect to have all American students start out with an equal education in the United States.
Yes the assembly line like many manufacturing operations has become automated.

The mills in Gary hardly exist any more. Few are in operation and much of the work is also automated. So, that won't fly.

Education in the nation is controlled by the Left. It is structured for the benefit of teachers and administrators, not students.

The mills in Gary hardly exist any more. Few are in operation and much of the work is also automated. So, that won't fly.

Education in the nation is controlled by the Left. It is structured for the benefit of teachers and administrators, not students.
Education in the United States is largely controlled by the fifty states and the over than 13,000 school districts.
The bigger question is: do all children in those 13,000 plus school districts have the same opportunity for an equal education? If not, should they?

Education in the United States is largely controlled by the fifty states and the over than 13,000 school districts.
The bigger question is: do all children in those 13,000 plus school districts have the same opportunity for an equal education? If not, should they?
As you well know, public primary and secondary education sucks in most districts in this nation. This is because the left controls it and they are only interested in protecting the benes received by teachers and administrators. It is a travesty.

"Equal education" meaning what?

That education is equal for all students in public schools. To start, if most high schools with 2000 students have a viable science lab then all high schools with 2000 students should have a viable science lab. If most schools has a textbook for each student then all schools should have a textbook for each student. If forty students per class is the norm then a school should not have fifty students per class.

That education is equal for all students in public schools.

No, it's not.

As you well know, public primary and secondary education sucks in most districts in this nation. This is because the left controls it and they are only interested in protecting the benes received by teachers and administrators. It is a travesty.

So what are these "benes" you are talking about? Most people have no clue as to how poorly teachers get paid, or how lousy the health benefits have gotten since Obamacare.

That education is equal for all students in public schools. To start, if most high schools with 2000 students have a viable science lab then all high schools with 2000 students should have a viable science lab. If most schools has a textbook for each student then all schools should have a textbook for each student. If forty students per class is the norm then a school should not have fifty students per class.

What makes you think they don't?

I was a student in one of those school districts and I've read books on the subject, Kozol, and Ravitch for two. Today, school districts are manipulating, often with charter schools for scores not education. The big attempt after NCLB is for schools and school districts to now drive out the less able student, they lower scores and attract the better student that raises scores. If effect we are using education to not just create our elites but our future welfare recipients.

I was a student in one of those school districts and I've read books on the subject, Kozol, and Ravitch for two. Today, school districts are manipulating, often with charter schools for scores not education. The big attempt after NCLB is for schools and school districts to now drive out the less able student, they lower scores and attract the better student that raises scores. If effect we are using education to not just create our elites but our future welfare recipients.

The only problem with your theory is that school districts are not the ones doing the manipulation.

I have read Ravitch and Kozol too. Most of that has gone by the wayside since their books exposed the problem to the world. The problem is mismanagement in the schools themselves.

The Great Walter Williams spells it out...it is much worse than most Americans know. From K-Ph.D.

The Left, who controls education in our country with an iron fist, has failed. But, they will use the same tired excuses and lies...like we need more money...could it be they want a dumbed down populace, so that government can control and expand?

Education Disaster
By Walter E. Williams
November 17, 2015
When it comes to reading and math skills, just 34 percent and 33 percent, respectively, of U.S. eighth-grade students tested proficient or above — that is, performed at grade level or above. Recent test scores show poor achievement levels in other academic areas. Only 18 percent of eighth-graders are proficient in U.S. history. It’s 27 percent in geography and 23 percent in civics.

The story is not much better when it comes to high schoolers. According to 2010 and 2013 NAEP test scores, only 38 percent of 12th-graders were proficient in reading. It was 26 percent in math, 12 percent in history, 20 percent in geography and 24% in civics.

Many of these poorly performing youngsters gain college admission. The National Center for Public Policy and Higher Education reports, “Every year in the United States, nearly 60 percent of first-year college students discover that, despite being fully eligible to attend college, they are not ready for postsecondary studies.” That means colleges spend billions of dollars on remedial education. Many of the students who enroll in those classes never graduate from college. The fact that many students are not college-ready takes on even greater significance when we consider that many college courses have been dumbed down.

A huge bureaucracy needs no nefarious master plan to make a mess of things.

Forum List

Back