Detroit Public Schools: 93% Not Proficient in Reading; 96% Not Proficient in Math

turzovka

Gold Member
Nov 20, 2012
“We need to spend more tax dollars on education.” --- (the voice of scores of governors, congressmen, and state political leaders.)

Why? To support the self-serving teachers’ unions? To prove once again that a lack of money is not the reason USA students fair so poorly compared to far less privileged countries around the world?

Keep that tenure program rolling though. Don’t anyone dare compensate teachers based on performance, keep it longevity.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/detroit-public-schools-93-not-proficient-reading-96-not-proficient

By Terence P. Jeffrey | October 28, 2015 | 4:15 PM EDT

(CNSNews.com) - In the Detroit public school district, 96 percent of eighth graders are not proficient in mathematics and 93 percent are not proficient in reading.

That is according to the results of the 2015 National Assessment of Educational Progress tests published by the Department of Education’s National Center for Educational Statistics.

Only 4 percent of Detroit public school eighth graders are proficient or better in math and only 7 percent in reading. This is despite the fact that in the 2011-2012 school year—the latest for which the Department of Education has reported the financial data—the Detroit public schools had “total expenditures” of $18,361 per student and “current expenditures” of $13,330 per student.

According to data published by the Detroit Public Schools, the school district’s operating expenses in the fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2014 amounted to approximately $14,743 per student.

Nationwide, only 33 percent of public-school eighth graders scored proficient or better in reading in 2015 and only 32 percent scored proficient or better in mathematics.

In 2015, 21 large urban school districts participated in the NAEP tests in reading and mathematics as part of what the Department of Education calls its Trial Urban District Assessment (TUDA). Among these 21 districts, the Detroit Public Schools had the smallest percentages of eighth graders scoring proficient or better in reading and math.

In reading, the Cleveland public schools were next to last among the large urban school districts with only 11 percent scoring proficient or better. Baltimore and Fresno were tied for third worst with only 13 percent scoring proficient or better; and Philadelphia ranked fifth worst with only 16 percent scoring proficient or better.

The Cleveland public schools also ranked next to last in math, with only 9 percent of eight graders scoring proficient or better. Baltimore and Fresno were also tied for third worst in math, with only 12 percent scoring proficient or better; and Los Angeles ranked fifth worst with 15 percent scoring proficient or better in math.

The Department of Education has published fiscal information on the Detroit public schools for the 2011-2012 school year. That year, the Detroit Public Schools had total expenditures of $1,231,375,000, equaling $18,361 per student. $271,358,000 of the school district's funding for the 2011-2012 school year came from the federal government.

“We need to spend more tax dollars on education.” --- (the voice of scores of governors, congressmen, and state political leaders.)

Why? To support the self-serving teachers’ unions? To prove once again that a lack of money is not the reason USA students fair so poorly compared to far less privileged countries around the world?

Keep that tenure program rolling though. Don’t anyone dare compensate teachers based on performance, keep it longevity.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/terence-p-jeffrey/detroit-public-schools-93-not-proficient-reading-96-not-proficient

(CNSNews.com) - In the Detroit public school district, 96 percent of eighth graders are not proficient in mathematics and 93 percent are not proficient in reading.

That is according to the results of the 2015 National Assessment of Educational Progress tests published by the Department of Education’s National Center for Educational Statistics.

Only 4 percent of Detroit public school eighth graders are proficient or better in math and only 7 percent in reading. This is despite the fact that in the 2011-2012 school year—the latest for which the Department of Education has reported the financial data—the Detroit public schools had “total expenditures” of $18,361 per student and “current expenditures” of $13,330 per student.

According to data published by the Detroit Public Schools, the school district’s operating expenses in the fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2014 amounted to approximately $14,743 per student.

Nationwide, only 33 percent of public-school eighth graders scored proficient or better in reading in 2015 and only 32 percent scored proficient or better in mathematics.

In 2015, 21 large urban school districts participated in the NAEP tests in reading and mathematics as part of what the Department of Education calls its Trial Urban District Assessment (TUDA). Among these 21 districts, the Detroit Public Schools had the smallest percentages of eighth graders scoring proficient or better in reading and math.

In reading, the Cleveland public schools were next to last among the large urban school districts with only 11 percent scoring proficient or better. Baltimore and Fresno were tied for third worst with only 13 percent scoring proficient or better; and Philadelphia ranked fifth worst with only 16 percent scoring proficient or better.

The Cleveland public schools also ranked next to last in math, with only 9 percent of eight graders scoring proficient or better. Baltimore and Fresno were also tied for third worst in math, with only 12 percent scoring proficient or better; and Los Angeles ranked fifth worst with 15 percent scoring proficient or better in math.

The Department of Education has published fiscal information on the Detroit public schools for the 2011-2012 school year. That year, the Detroit Public Schools had total expenditures of $1,231,375,000, equaling $18,361 per student. $271,358,000 of the school district's funding for the 2011-2012 school year came from the federal government.

Thanks for the spelling lesson - you say " USA students fair so poorly". I would have spelled it fare instead. Guess I can blame my teachers, who were union members, unlike your superior non union teachers

That's sad, really.
Maybe we could throw them more money. That always seems to help.

Thanks for the spelling lesson - you say " USA students fair so poorly". I would have spelled it fare instead. Guess I can blame my teachers, who were union members, unlike your superior non union teachers

Touche.

I, myself, may pick at bones but I let an occasional misspell go by for others. I also let "could care less" go by endlessly, so I wonder if you would admit having ever done that misstep? : )

One problem with industrial cities is they become magnets for the unemployed, the unemployed go to those cities looking for work. When too many unemployed descend on an area they begin to have problems. Add to that, if the manufacturing sector makes errors and lose sales or less workers are needed, we now have a city with real problems.

One problem with industrial cities is they become magnets for the unemployed, the unemployed go to those cities looking for work. When too many unemployed descend on an area they begin to have problems. Add to that, if the manufacturing sector makes errors and lose sales or less workers are needed, we now have a city with real problems.
Sure, it's all the unemployed people moving to Detroit that accounts for its illiteracy and innumeracy. Apparently there are swarms of people moving to Motown to get jobs and ensure their children's education.

whew

Sure, it's all the unemployed people moving to Detroit that accounts for its illiteracy and innumeracy. Apparently there are swarms of people moving to Motown to get jobs and ensure their children's education.

whew

Sounds to me like Regent is claiming that only dumbasses are moving to Detroit. Since the percentages were for 8th graders (13 - 14 year olds), did they move to Detroit looking for jobs since he claims the unemployed flock to the cities looking for work? I thought there were laws against working at that age.

When is the public going to demand that schools teach ONLY to the test..

Lets see.
I'm going to be judged (by an ignorant american public) on test scores yet I spend time teaching things such as history and other things they are not tested on. How about spending every day teaching solely to the test and then seeing what happens?

When is the public going to demand that schools teach ONLY to the test..

Lets see.
I'm going to be judged (by an ignorant american public) on test scores yet I spend time teaching things such as history and other things they are not tested on. How about spending every day teaching solely to the test and then seeing what happens?

How about YOU spend one day teaching anything?

didnt Detroit have an illiterate for the School Board president? if that's not sending the wrong message, I dont know what would. I wonder if he is still in charge.

whew

Sounds to me like Regent is claiming that only dumbasses are moving to Detroit. Since the percentages were for 8th graders (13 - 14 year olds), did they move to Detroit looking for jobs since he claims the unemployed flock to the cities looking for work? I thought there were laws against working at that age.
This going to industrial cities for jobs has been going on since the industrial revolution gained momentum and Jefferson's nation of small farms gradually lost momentum. Unfortunately many of Detroit's jobs depended on the auto industry and when VW began to import a small dependable car and Detroit's response was bigger tail fins,
we lost many of those jobs.

whew

This going to industrial cities for jobs has been going on since the industrial revolution gained momentum and Jefferson's nation of small farms gradually lost momentum. Unfortunately many of Detroit's jobs depended on the auto industry and when VW began to import a small dependable car and Detroit's response was bigger tail fins,

My statement stands. It must be dumbasses moving to industrial cities for jobs.

whew

My statement stands. It must be dumbasses moving to industrial cities for jobs.
\

They probably do not understand that jobs are plentiful in small towns and on farms.

whew

That occurred a long time ago.

Why has that problem not been solved?

whew

That occurred a long time ago.

Why has that problem not been solved?
Foreign car-building nations got their foot in the American auto market and never let go.

Forum List

Back