Baltimore public High Schools and Math, are they even teaching it?

If the GOP candidate matches with the uaw workers, they will get my vote. The Dems sure aren't going to but someone has to take a stand against the corporate heads
What does that have to do with the failure of the Baltimore school system?

13 schools out of how many schools in Baltimore?
If you bothered to open the link, it says clearly in the story "The 13 schools where zero students demonstrated proficiency in math were out of 33 Baltimore City Schools, meaning 40 percent of Baltimore City Schools did not produce a single student proficient in math." Decades of democrat leadership in Baltimore should produce a LOT better result than this.

If you bothered to open the link, it says clearly in the story "The 13 schools where zero students demonstrated proficiency in math were out of 33 Baltimore City Schools, meaning 40 percent of Baltimore City Schools did not produce a single student proficient in math." Decades of democrat leadership in Baltimore should produce a LOT better result than this.
By all means, tell us from the peanut gallery, how exactly did Democratic leadership in Baltimore cause students to score zero in math..... :icon_rolleyes:

By all means, tell us from the peanut gallery, how exactly did Democratic leadership in Baltimore cause students to score zero in math..... :icon_rolleyes:
The mayor of Baltimore is a left-wing Democrat. The mayor appoints the members of their school board...who are Democrats. The school board's chairman is an advocate of "Equity Education". In other words, not the same opportunities but a guaranteed equal OUTCOME.

Maryland also shut down their schools for Covid-19. No plans on how to make up the lost time.

Money is not an issue, Baltimore's spending on education is among the highest per student in the country.

I say that as someone who used to live in Baltimore city but moved out to the county. Those schools get less per student, but the education one gets from there gives a student a better chance for long-term success. So, it's not from the peanut gallery. It's from having feet on the ground. Markle did a lot to explain it. Baltimore has been a one-party democrat city for almost the last 60 years. Whose policies have created the environment that exists in Baltimore that deals with everything from the residents who live there to the type of education that students will get going through their system?

If you follow the Project Baltimore story on this, you'll see that for 32 out of the 33 Baltimore City high schools, the number of students who weren't proficient in math is 89% or higher. These students are going to try and get into colleges and universities? Not competing with students from the surrounding counties and not with the private schools that excel in academics. And we wonder why colleges and universities are having to work so hard to get black students to attend their schools? We wonder why there aren't as many professional & managerial level positions held by black people? It's because there are a lot of us are NOT getting an education that will prepare us for long-term success in the future. And if we took a deep dive like Project Baltimore did in other major urban cities, this will be a common theme. There's a reason why there's a class-action lawsuit against Baltimore City schools.

Not surprising...

Rich elitist Democrats in office respond...

We're sending our kids to private schools
No vouchers for you poor people
If they don't understand Math, they are more likely to vote Democrat

This is one of the reasons why America keeps falling for fraud after obvious fraud, and why the National Debt and the Deficit don't matter to "most voters."

Maui - it takes math to notice the "explanation" is 1000F short of the damage done
911 - math and science are needed to understand just how obvious a fraud that was, that 600F burning jet fuel did not produce 2200F molten steel etc.
Covid - math is needed before biology, and if they can't do math...
Election Fraud - ditto, must understand math

The DemoKKKrats who run these shitholes need the kids to stay dumb. They're much easier to control.

I say that as someone who used to live in Baltimore city but moved out to the county. Those schools get less per student, but the education one gets from there gives a student a better chance for long-term success. So, it's not from the peanut gallery. It's from having feet on the ground. Markle did a lot to explain it. Baltimore has been a one-party democrat city for almost the last 60 years. Whose policies have created the environment that exists in Baltimore that deals with everything from the residents who live there to the type of education that students will get going through their system?

If you follow the Project Baltimore story on this, you'll see that for 32 out of the 33 Baltimore City high schools, the number of students who weren't proficient in math is 89% or higher. These students are going to try and get into colleges and universities? Not competing with students from the surrounding counties and not with the private schools that excel in academics. And we wonder why colleges and universities are having to work so hard to get black students to attend their schools? We wonder why there aren't as many professional & managerial level positions held by black people? It's because there are a lot of us are NOT getting an education that will prepare us for long-term success in the future. And if we took a deep dive like Project Baltimore did in other major urban cities, this will be a common theme. There's a reason why there's a class-action lawsuit against Baltimore City schools.
Thanks for your thought out response! I've been to Baltimore only once, when very young and my boyfriend went to the University of Baltimore School of Law...my girlfriend and I drove there for a weekend festival type thing at his school and to spend time with him, driving from south Jersey.... Holy moly, we got lost and this was before cell phones....we had to stop to use a pay phone to reach him to help us find our way to where he and other friends lived off campus....

We were scared to death! To say the least! :eek:

I don't know if this would be a sollution, but a couple of decades ago, when I lived in Massachusetts, there was a school district south of us near the Cape that was having trouble with math scores, and with recruiting good Math teachers.... My cousin and her husband were both engineers, in the military serving somewhere in New York State, just reaching their 20 years, for Military retirement....and they were recruited and interviewed for a couple of Math teacher positions in the town/county, and although teachers pay was not super high, the town or county offered them extra perks to recruit them, like no property taxes on the home they bought while at least 1 of them taught there.... And they paid for both to get their teaching certificates etc....

And if memory serves Boston was having a hard time getting school teachers for the rough areas in the city, so the State offered no state income tax as a perk and city offered no property taxes to recruit teachers back in to the city....or similar perks....

Good math teachers or not enough in Baltimore could be part of the problem...? Classrooms too large for the attention students need in Math vs other less complicated courses? I know covid 19 had a huge effect on school children in low income communities who did not have adequate means for remote teaching....while schools were on lockdown....? That could be part of this....?

Regardless, Math is a pretty important course to make it in life, and these failing scores are just telling all of us, the school system, is failing to provide what these students need, and something needs to change.

Thanks for your thought out response! I've been to Baltimore only once, when very young and my boyfriend went to the University of Baltimore School of Law...my girlfriend and I drove there for a weekend festival type thing at his school and to spend time with him, driving from south Jersey.... Holy moly, we got lost and this was before cell phones....we had to stop to use a pay phone to reach him to help us find our way to where he and other friends lived off campus....

We were scared to death! To say the least! :eek:

I don't know if this would be a sollution, but a couple of decades ago, when I lived in Massachusetts, there was a school district south of us near the Cape that was having trouble with math scores, and with recruiting good Math teachers.... My cousin and her husband were both engineers, in the military serving somewhere in New York State, just reaching their 20 years, for Military retirement....and they were recruited and interviewed for a couple of Math teacher positions in the town/county, and although teachers pay was not super high, the town or county offered them extra perks to recruit them, like no property taxes on the home they bought while at least 1 of them taught there.... And they paid for both to get their teaching certificates etc....

And if memory serves Boston was having a hard time getting school teachers for the rough areas in the city, so the State offered no state income tax as a perk and city offered no property taxes to recruit teachers back in to the city....or similar perks....

Good math teachers or not enough in Baltimore could be part of the problem...? Classrooms too large for the attention students need in Math vs other less complicated courses? I know covid 19 had a huge effect on school children in low income communities who did not have adequate means for remote teaching....while schools were on lockdown....? That could be part of this....?

Regardless, Math is a pretty important course to make it in life, and these failing scores are just telling all of us, the school system, is failing to provide what these students need, and something needs to change.
No state taxes in MA? Highly unlikely.

It was something like that....to lure teachers back in to the city from the suburbs? Do you remember what it was....? This was over a coup!e of decades ago....
If there's one thing MA state legislature loves, it's taxes. There has been a procedure for applying to have student loans forgiven if one teaches in certain districts for a certain amount of time. That's about the most that would be likely.

Not surprising...

Rich elitist Democrats in office respond...

We're sending our kids to private schools
No vouchers for you poor people
If they don't understand Math, they are more likely to vote Democrat

This is one of the reasons why America keeps falling for fraud after obvious fraud, and why the National Debt and the Deficit don't matter to "most voters."

Maui - it takes math to notice the "explanation" is 1000F short of the damage done
911 - math and science are needed to understand just how obvious a fraud that was, that 600F burning jet fuel did not produce 2200F molten steel etc.
Covid - math is needed before biology, and if they can't do math...
Election Fraud - ditto, must understand math
Cute whining. Bizarre conspiracy horseshit.

So, what's the solution? Any ideas?

When you were in school, and say, not paying any attention in math class, and even being disruptive to the class. If your teacher called home, what would your parents have said? What do you think most of your classmates' parents would have said?

In 2023, the misbehavior of the students is the teachers' fault. The teacher is not entertaining enough. The teacher is not caring enough. The teacher has not "built relationships".

It does not matter what baggage the children bring into school--the fact that their home life is wreckage, they have not a single book in the home, they are being raised with five siblings, most with different fathers, most absent.
When you were in school, and say, not paying any attention in math class, and even being disruptive to the class. If your teacher called home, what would your parents have said? What do you think most of your classmates' parents would have said?

In 2023, the misbehavior of the students is the teachers' fault. The teacher is not entertaining enough. The teacher is not caring enough. The teacher has not "built relationships".

It does not matter what baggage the children bring into school--the fact that their home life is wreckage, they have not a single book in the home, they are being raised with five siblings, most with different fathers, most absent. Once they cross the schoolroom door, every responsibility is the teacher's.

This is unsustainable, of course. Teachers cannot right all the wrongs of our failing society. And I do mean failing.
Remember this

The DemoKKKrats who run these shitholes need the kids to stay dumb. They're much easier to control.

When W took office, he had a GOP House and Senate. Did he push for vouchers, or did he conspire with Ted Kennedy to flush $1 trillion into the homo controlled left wing public education, and did you cheer when he did that....

When W took office, he had a GOP House and Senate. Did he push for vouchers, or did he conspire with Ted Kennedy to flush $1 trillion into the homo controlled left wing public education, and did you cheer when he did that....
No Child Left Behind was a terrible idea. Now, it's been replaced by Every Student Succeeds Act, which takes the NCLB and makes it worse because it softened some of the standards that NCLB had in its guidance.

No Child Left Behind was a terrible idea. Now, it's been replaced by Every Student Succeeds Act, which takes the NCLB and makes it worse because it softened some of the standards that NCLB had in its guidance.

Anything but private school vouchers is rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Baltimore's public school system is a "perfect storm" of everything wrong with government employment, public education, liberal policies, and Black culture.

It is the best argument in the country for school vouchers. No sane parent, regardless of economic status, would want her kids within a hundred yards of a Baltimore public school.

It does not matter what baggage the children bring into school--the fact that their home life is wreckage, they have not a single book in the home, they are being raised with five siblings, most with different fathers, most absent. Once they cross the schoolroom door, every responsibility is the teacher's.

This is unsustainable, of course. Teachers cannot right all the wrongs of our failing society. And I do mean failing.
The police they are attacking are also being asked to 'fix' the broken society and family. Getting scary folks.

Forum List

Back