Dead soldier's mom faces deportation......

Death stymies soldier son's bid to get mother green card
Thursday, February 25, 2010

By this time last year, Eugenia Galdos’ son had this February planned.

The 25-year-old Army sergeant, Christian Bueno-Galdos, would come home to Paterson on leave from his second tour of duty in Iraq, his mother finally would have legal immigration status, and together they’d take a trip to their native Peru, for the annual Carnival.

Instead, Christian Bueno-Galdos’ body lies at the Totowa Cemetery. And immigration officials have not yet decided on his 2008 application seeking U.S. permanent residency for his mother, who could face deportation.

Galdos was one of five soldiers killed last May by a distraught fellow trooper who opened fire on them at a medical clinic at Camp Liberty in Iraq.

"I go to his grave at least every other day," said Galdos, who is 54, dresses in black, and has a black ribbon hanging on the door to her apartment. "I keep his grave clear, neat, whether it’s clearing away the snow or placing flowers. Sometimes I feel a gnawing unrest, and my husband says ‘It’s because you must visit his grave today. Go to the cemetery, that is what is making you anxious.’ "

"It is important to visit him," Galdos said, in Spanish, in her neatly furnished apartment on Columbia Avenue, adorned with pictures of Christian in his Army uniform. "This is the biggest reason why I want to stay in this country, which Christian loved so much."

The Bueno-Galdos family came about 20 years ago, joining the tens of thousands of other Peruvians who have settled in Paterson over the years. Years later, when Galdos applied for permanent residency, she was denied and ordered deported. The rest of the family had obtained their immigration documents, Galdos said, and Galdos held out hope that she, too, would be able to do so.

Christian, who decided in high school to enlist in the Army, made it a mission to help his mother gain her residency. In late 2008, after Christian submitted the petition on behalf of his mother, an immigration judge dismissed the deportation order and accepted her son’s application, Galdos said.

"Everything seemed to be moving along," she said.

But after Christian died, the residency process stalled, said his father, Carlos Bueno. In a meeting with immigration authorities, the couple said, officials brought up the old deportation order. Since then, immigration officials have told the family, as well as aides to Sen. Bob Menendez, to whom the family turned for help, that they are still looking into the case.

Asked to comment on the Paterson mother’s application, immigration officials would not discuss the details of Galdos’ case, citing confidentiality.

Carlos Bueno, who is 59 and says his health has declined dramatically since the death of his son, says he understands that immigration officials have their own priorities and a job to do.

But, he asked, "How can this situation be seen solely through legal technicalities? Why don’t they see a mother who wants to go to the grave of her son, who wants to always be with him, at least that way? One of my son’s last, strongest wishes was to help his mother get her legal residency. We’d like to see finished what Christian started."

Galdos almost had decided to send her youngest son’s body back to Peru to be buried.

But the more she thought about it, the more it became clear that this country had to be her son’s final resting place.

"This was truly his country," she said. "Yes, he loved Peru, but as more of a place to visit. This was home, this was the country he said he’d give his life up for defending, if it came to that."

His parents look at letters top Army officials sent to them, telling them what an asset Christian was to the military. The letters tell the parents how respected Christian was among his peers.

One official wrote that in his more than 20 years in the military, he’d never seen such an outpouring of love as he had at a memorial for Christian in Iraq.

"This family has been through enough," said Jack Fanous, executive director of G.I. Go Fund, a Newark-based, non-profit advocacy group for veterans. Group members have accompanied the family on visits to the immigration office in Newark and to Menendez’s office. "For their son to give his life for this country, and for us to show this mother the door is unacceptable. This family’s price of admission has been paid above and beyond what we ask."

NorthJersey.com: Dead soldier?s mom still fighting to stay in U.S.

The really sad thing is that this soldier was killed by the dude who snapped off line at the clinic in Baghdad. He had already made US citizen, and was sponsoring his mother.

They were almost home free when he was killed senselessly.

I think this woman should be allowed to stay, she's done more for this country than most.

But....but...but she's an illegal. Are you asking for double standard here?

Don't matter who died, don't matter who served.

She is illegal.

No, she isn't illegal she is legally in the US on a visa.

Think of it this way: If she had immigrated legally, this thread wouldn't be possible. Thank GW Bush, Thank him for a war we never asked for nor needed. Thank the schizoid double standard our country has. Money, justice. Profit, culture. This woman can sink into oblivion like all the other mothers that sacrificed their sons and are taken for granted.

she did immigrate legally..it is called a visa.

Hi Lonestar:

Hell must surely be freezing over. I agree, what has she done?

She joined 20 million other Illegal Aliens coming here in the middle of the night to steal JOBS and identities from real U.S. Citizens. The Open Border Lobby idiots :)cuckoo:) around here think she deserves to receive U.S. Citizenship as a reward for coming through the back door ...

GL,

Terral

she came with a visa...how does that mean somehow that she snuck into the country illegally in your book?

For those who say he had a choice and that it was his choice alone really understand very little about the power that Latina mothers have over their children...our choice is what it is. If I tell my son I want you to join the military that is what he will do. If I say quit, that is what he will also do....and that is how it works in Latino households...mom and dad have the LAST word sometimes even after you are married...they usually even seek mom's approval before they get married....if mom don't like you then you aren't going to be the wife.

If you say she gave nothing I say screw you....it is clear you have never lost a child or had a child in the military. My son went to Afghanistan and I burned the midnight oil more than most when he was there. He joined because that is what we wanted him to do. Had he died I would have sacrificed everything, but I would have been proud because he served in the military and made our name good...but I would have cried and wanted to die myself for the rest of my life...because he is my son and he can never be replaced.

Hi Lonestar:

Hell must surely be freezing over. I agree, what has she done?

She joined 20 million other Illegal Aliens coming here in the middle of the night to steal JOBS and identities from real U.S. Citizens. The Open Border Lobby idiots :)cuckoo:) around here think she deserves to receive U.S. Citizenship as a reward for coming through the back door ...

GL,

Terral

she came with a visa...how does that mean somehow that she snuck into the country illegally in your book?

For those who say he had a choice and that it was his choice alone really understand very little about the power that Latina mothers have over their children...our choice is what it is. If I tell my son I want you to join the military that is what he will do. If I say quit, that is what he will also do....and that is how it works in Latino households...mom and dad have the LAST word sometimes even after you are married...they usually even seek mom's approval before they get married....if mom don't like you then you aren't going to be the wife.

If you say she gave nothing I say screw you....it is clear you have never lost a child or had a child in the military. My son went to Afghanistan and I burned the midnight oil more than most when he was there. He joined because that is what we wanted him to do. Had he died I would have sacrificed everything, but I would have been proud because he served in the military and made our name good...but I would have cried and wanted to die myself for the rest of my life...because he is my son and he can never be replaced.

OVERSTAYING a visa is being here ILLEGALLY! She might not have entered through the back door but she still broke the law. As for latino kids doing what the mom says, well maybe in Honduras or other latin american country but NOT in the USA. Your ideas have gone out with high button shoes. NO son worth his salt is not going to marry the woman he loves cause his mom doesn't approve - maybe that was so in the 19th/20th century but not now. What kind of countries do these people come from that when it comes to being sent back they act as if they are being sent back to HELL???? Yes, she gave her son - but - it was HIS choice as we do have a voluntary military now! I will bet that she is given permission to stay. After all, her son did give his life for this country and that should mean something to the USA. Yes, it is bending the rules, but I bet they will bend them for her for that reason alone. But it does boggle the mind that these people act as if they are being sent back to an inferno.

they should make her legal. they followed the proper channels and paperwork to do such, all the rest of the family were accepted as legals, she should be, as well...her son, gave his life up for this country, she should be allowed to get the proper papers to stay here....so she can be with him, graveside.

She's lucky only in the respect that her son died in the military and not just gunned down in the street by another illegal.

Send her back. Immediately. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00. Just GO.

OVERSTAYING a visa is being here ILLEGALLY! She might not have entered through the back door but she still broke the law. As for latino kids doing what the mom says, well maybe in Honduras or other latin american country but NOT in the USA.

where does it say she overstayed her visa? She has been on a legal visa that is current for the past 20 years...it has been renewed properly..no where has it said it was expired. Wanna bet that it is different in the US? I raised my children in the US..my son did exactly what I wanted him to..it is expected and it is cultural not just by country. If you had been raised in a Latino home you would know exactly what I mean..but clearly that is something you don't understand.

She's lucky only in the respect that her son died in the military and not just gunned down in the street by another illegal.

Send her back. Immediately. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.00. Just GO.

her son was a citizen, she is legal...why should she be considered lucky? Her son wasn't illegal what nonsense you spout....nice for someone who never served a day in their life.

What's irritating to me is this has been sat on since 2009. No updates.
Her husband is a legal immigrant citizen.
The family came here on visas.

If our President's ILLEGAL alien family members are given citizenship....Hello!!!!:disbelief:

Hmm, maybe someone should start a petition!!

:D

Well..Ms Belle, his family hasn't been given citizenship...that isn't given right away..they were approved for political asylum which means they are withheld from deportation and permitted to stay in the US legally. It can take them up to 10 years to legally become citizens.

OVERSTAYING a visa is being here ILLEGALLY! She might not have entered through the back door but she still broke the law. As for latino kids doing what the mom says, well maybe in Honduras or other latin american country but NOT in the USA.

where does it say she overstayed her visa? She has been on a legal visa that is current for the past 20 years...it has been renewed properly..no where has it said it was expired. Wanna bet that it is different in the US? I raised my children in the US..my son did exactly what I wanted him to..it is expected and it is cultural not just by country. If you had been raised in a Latino home you would know exactly what I mean..but clearly that is something you don't understand.

QUOTE: ' Years later, when Galdos applied for permanent residency, she was denied and ordered deported.'

So she was denied permanent residence and had an order of deportation cause???? Where does it say she did things legally for 20 years??? I don't live in la-la land. I have countless latino friends and none have ever stopped their son from marrying the woman he loved no matter how much the parents were against it. Stop with your pollyanna attitude. I suspect that your son would have joined the service no matter what his mamacita said. Get real.

QUOTE: ' Years later, when Galdos applied for permanent residency, she was denied and ordered deported.'

So she was denied permanent residence and had an order of deportation cause???? Where does it say she did things legally for 20 years??? I don't live in la-la land. I have countless latino friends and none have ever stopped their son from marrying the woman he loved no matter how much the parents were against it. Stop with your pollyanna attitude. I suspect that your son would have joined the service no matter what his mamacita said. Get real.
because she went back home and got another visa and RETURNED..with a visa. Just because you are denied one status does not mean it automatically disqualifies you for another one...nor does it mean you lose your previous status. Also, when you are denied you are given the right to appeal that and during that time you are not illegally in the country. To be able to apply for a permenent residency card you MUST be in the country legally.

Well..Ms Belle, his family hasn't been given citizenship...that isn't given right away..they were approved for political asylum which means they are withheld from deportation and permitted to stay in the US legally. It can take them up to 10 years to legally become citizens.

You are correct.
I mis-read. From what I have been able to ascertain, the rest of her family, including her deceased son, were all given immigration documents. I didn't know it had anything to do with political asylum.
Thanks.

yes, all of her family were given immigration documents. The asylum I am talking about is Obama's family.

Tipsy, poiltical asylum is not bogus it is real and protects people in real danger. Think about the Iraqi man who helped the US out in the intel we needed to take down Saddam...he was clearly in danger if forced to return..I bet he disagrees with you that asylum is bogus..I disagree too.

Some deserve political asylum; some lie to get it. It blows me away all the things that so many people do just to come and live in the most 'evil' of countries......LOL.

Angelhair, do you have some sort of proof that people lie to get it? After all it is VERY DIFFICULT to obtain asylum even if it is a legitimate claim. Only 1% of all applications are approved.

they should make her legal. They followed the proper channels and paperwork to do such, all the rest of the family were accepted as legals, she should be, as well...her son, gave his life up for this country, she should be allowed to get the proper papers to stay here....so she can be with him, graveside.

+2

Yes, some people are forgetting this woman's entire family is in the USA as permenent residents and her son was a US citizen that was naturalized and not only do they want to insult the family by taking her away from her son but the rest of the family as well? They have what is known as a hardship waiver...when there are extreme hardships and this is one of those times.

Forum List

Back