Dead soldier's mom faces deportation......

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by ABikerSailor, Mar 16, 2010.

1. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,411
    NorthJersey.com: Dead soldier?s mom still fighting to stay in U.S.

The really sad thing is that this soldier was killed by the dude who snapped off line at the clinic in Baghdad. He had already made US citizen, and was sponsoring his mother.

They were almost home free when he was killed senselessly.

I think this woman should be allowed to stay, she's done more for this country than most.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    She had a son?

Not to belittle her sons contribution in any way, but what has she done?

3. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    Hell must surely be freezing over. I agree, what has she done?

4. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    If she has a way to continue the process towards legal citizenship.. more power to her... hope she makes it and becomes a contributing citizen in this country...

If it does not come thru.. of well, try again..

IMHO I don't see why see needs to should have special treatment.. though with this article and with the pressure of the press and the government falling for feel good sappy stories to use during election time, she'll probably get the extra help that others who are trying to gain legal citizenship do not get

5. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,411
    Why did I even bother to post the article if you're not going to read it?

She came here from Peru legally. Her son joined the military at 18 and was serving.

He got his US Citizenship from serving in the military, and then was sponsoring his mother so that she could have permanent status green card.

The application was almost finished when he was killed last month by that lunatic who shot up a mental clinic in Baghdad (her son was one of the victims).

Now? Because her sponsor was her son, her application to stay here is in danger.

I think she should be allowed to stay. She's been here legally for the past 20 years, and has given her own family in defense of this country.

That qualifies in my book.

6. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    Satan is ice-skating, because I am also agreeing with USC. SHE hasn't done anything for this country. Her son did.

Now, barring a reasonable answer to the admittedly confusing question of why she was denied residency when the rest of her family was granted it, I would be perfectly okay with the idea of granting her citizenship as the last wish of a soldier who gave his life for this country.

7. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    I think this is one of those instances where the law sucks. This young man died serving this country, the least we could do is honor the wish of his mother being granted citizenship. It isn't about the mother. It is about what a fallen soldier wanted.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 6
  8. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    I was a bit amused by her husband's remark of "Why can't the INS see a mother who wants to remain close to her son?" Well, because that's not their job, to be swayed by every heartbreaking sob story that comes through the door. EVERYONE has a sad tale of why they need to remain in the US. The INS would never accomplish their purpose if they looked at that instead of at the hard, cold legal facts of the situation.

9. Lonestar_logic

Lonestar_logic Republic of Texas

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,505
    If she had been here legally for the last 20 years, why would that change now? I'm thinking her legal status wasn't all that legal.

10. ABikerSailor

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,411
    People tend to really downplay the role of those left watching over the homefront.

I'll put it simple......if you're worried about home, you're not thinking about what you're doing right now, mistakes get made, and people get killed.

I also think that allowing your child to serve in the military is an honorable thing, no matter what your country of origin. If your child dies while serving? The parents have done something......they allowed their child to serve, even though it meant that their child could die. And, they made that choice, knowing the risks.

A person who is living here legally but not from this country needs sponsorship to remain. Hers was her son who had earned his citizenship, and was using that as a way to get his mother his green card.

But......the thing that makes this a bit of a game changer is that her son was killed by the suicidal gunman who shot up the Baghdad clinic.

He was a senseless death, and it was a needless crime.

She was almost there, give her the status.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1