Dead soldier's mom faces deportation......

ABikerSailor

Diamond Member
Aug 26, 2008
Newberry, SC
Death stymies soldier son's bid to get mother green card
Thursday, February 25, 2010

By this time last year, Eugenia Galdos’ son had this February planned.

The 25-year-old Army sergeant, Christian Bueno-Galdos, would come home to Paterson on leave from his second tour of duty in Iraq, his mother finally would have legal immigration status, and together they’d take a trip to their native Peru, for the annual Carnival.

Instead, Christian Bueno-Galdos’ body lies at the Totowa Cemetery. And immigration officials have not yet decided on his 2008 application seeking U.S. permanent residency for his mother, who could face deportation.

Galdos was one of five soldiers killed last May by a distraught fellow trooper who opened fire on them at a medical clinic at Camp Liberty in Iraq.

"I go to his grave at least every other day," said Galdos, who is 54, dresses in black, and has a black ribbon hanging on the door to her apartment. "I keep his grave clear, neat, whether it’s clearing away the snow or placing flowers. Sometimes I feel a gnawing unrest, and my husband says ‘It’s because you must visit his grave today. Go to the cemetery, that is what is making you anxious.’ "

"It is important to visit him," Galdos said, in Spanish, in her neatly furnished apartment on Columbia Avenue, adorned with pictures of Christian in his Army uniform. "This is the biggest reason why I want to stay in this country, which Christian loved so much."

The Bueno-Galdos family came about 20 years ago, joining the tens of thousands of other Peruvians who have settled in Paterson over the years. Years later, when Galdos applied for permanent residency, she was denied and ordered deported. The rest of the family had obtained their immigration documents, Galdos said, and Galdos held out hope that she, too, would be able to do so.

Christian, who decided in high school to enlist in the Army, made it a mission to help his mother gain her residency. In late 2008, after Christian submitted the petition on behalf of his mother, an immigration judge dismissed the deportation order and accepted her son’s application, Galdos said.

"Everything seemed to be moving along," she said.

But after Christian died, the residency process stalled, said his father, Carlos Bueno. In a meeting with immigration authorities, the couple said, officials brought up the old deportation order. Since then, immigration officials have told the family, as well as aides to Sen. Bob Menendez, to whom the family turned for help, that they are still looking into the case.

Asked to comment on the Paterson mother’s application, immigration officials would not discuss the details of Galdos’ case, citing confidentiality.

Carlos Bueno, who is 59 and says his health has declined dramatically since the death of his son, says he understands that immigration officials have their own priorities and a job to do.

But, he asked, "How can this situation be seen solely through legal technicalities? Why don’t they see a mother who wants to go to the grave of her son, who wants to always be with him, at least that way? One of my son’s last, strongest wishes was to help his mother get her legal residency. We’d like to see finished what Christian started."

Galdos almost had decided to send her youngest son’s body back to Peru to be buried.

But the more she thought about it, the more it became clear that this country had to be her son’s final resting place.

"This was truly his country," she said. "Yes, he loved Peru, but as more of a place to visit. This was home, this was the country he said he’d give his life up for defending, if it came to that."

His parents look at letters top Army officials sent to them, telling them what an asset Christian was to the military. The letters tell the parents how respected Christian was among his peers.

One official wrote that in his more than 20 years in the military, he’d never seen such an outpouring of love as he had at a memorial for Christian in Iraq.

"This family has been through enough," said Jack Fanous, executive director of G.I. Go Fund, a Newark-based, non-profit advocacy group for veterans. Group members have accompanied the family on visits to the immigration office in Newark and to Menendez’s office. "For their son to give his life for this country, and for us to show this mother the door is unacceptable. This family’s price of admission has been paid above and beyond what we ask."

NorthJersey.com: Dead soldier?s mom still fighting to stay in U.S.

The really sad thing is that this soldier was killed by the dude who snapped off line at the clinic in Baghdad. He had already made US citizen, and was sponsoring his mother.

They were almost home free when he was killed senselessly.

I think this woman should be allowed to stay, she's done more for this country than most.

If she has a way to continue the process towards legal citizenship.. more power to her... hope she makes it and becomes a contributing citizen in this country...

If it does not come thru.. of well, try again..

IMHO I don't see why see needs to should have special treatment.. though with this article and with the pressure of the press and the government falling for feel good sappy stories to use during election time, she'll probably get the extra help that others who are trying to gain legal citizenship do not get

She had a son?

Not to belittle her sons contribution in any way, but what has she done?

Why did I even bother to post the article if you're not going to read it?

She came here from Peru legally. Her son joined the military at 18 and was serving.

He got his US Citizenship from serving in the military, and then was sponsoring his mother so that she could have permanent status green card.

The application was almost finished when he was killed last month by that lunatic who shot up a mental clinic in Baghdad (her son was one of the victims).

Now? Because her sponsor was her son, her application to stay here is in danger.

I think she should be allowed to stay. She's been here legally for the past 20 years, and has given her own family in defense of this country.

That qualifies in my book.

Hell must surely be freezing over. I agree, what has she done?

Satan is ice-skating, because I am also agreeing with USC. SHE hasn't done anything for this country. Her son did.

Now, barring a reasonable answer to the admittedly confusing question of why she was denied residency when the rest of her family was granted it, I would be perfectly okay with the idea of granting her citizenship as the last wish of a soldier who gave his life for this country.

I was a bit amused by her husband's remark of "Why can't the INS see a mother who wants to remain close to her son?" Well, because that's not their job, to be swayed by every heartbreaking sob story that comes through the door. EVERYONE has a sad tale of why they need to remain in the US. The INS would never accomplish their purpose if they looked at that instead of at the hard, cold legal facts of the situation.

She had a son?

Not to belittle her sons contribution in any way, but what has she done?

Why did I even bother to post the article if you're not going to read it?

She came here from Peru legally. Her son joined the military at 18 and was serving.

He got his US Citizenship from serving in the military, and then was sponsoring his mother so that she could have permanent status green card.

The application was almost finished when he was killed last month by that lunatic who shot up a mental clinic in Baghdad (her son was one of the victims).

Now? Because her sponsor was her son, her application to stay here is in danger.

I think she should be allowed to stay. She's been here legally for the past 20 years, and has given her own family in defense of this country.

That qualifies in my book.

If she had been here legally for the last 20 years, why would that change now? I'm thinking her legal status wasn't all that legal.

Hell must surely be freezing over. I agree, what has she done?

Satan is ice-skating, because I am also agreeing with USC. SHE hasn't done anything for this country. Her son did.

Now, barring a reasonable answer to the admittedly confusing question of why she was denied residency when the rest of her family was granted it, I would be perfectly okay with the idea of granting her citizenship as the last wish of a soldier who gave his life for this country.

People tend to really downplay the role of those left watching over the homefront.

I'll put it simple......if you're worried about home, you're not thinking about what you're doing right now, mistakes get made, and people get killed.

I also think that allowing your child to serve in the military is an honorable thing, no matter what your country of origin. If your child dies while serving? The parents have done something......they allowed their child to serve, even though it meant that their child could die. And, they made that choice, knowing the risks.

A person who is living here legally but not from this country needs sponsorship to remain. Hers was her son who had earned his citizenship, and was using that as a way to get his mother his green card.

But......the thing that makes this a bit of a game changer is that her son was killed by the suicidal gunman who shot up the Baghdad clinic.

He was a senseless death, and it was a needless crime.

She was almost there, give her the status.

I'm sorry for her but what are the immigration laws?

Are soldiers allowed to have their mother and father stay in the country indefinitely?

If the soldier is killed, do they get to stay?

Treat her the same as everyone else or change the rules

I think this is one of those instances where the law sucks. This young man died serving this country, the least we could do is honor the wish of his mother being granted citizenship. It isn't about the mother. It is about what a fallen soldier wanted.

i agree 100%

and as far as ''what did she do?''

she lost her son, for us.

Why didn't she obtain her immigration documents like the rest of her family? It says she was here legally for 20 years and her son was her sponsor . . . but he was just 18 . . . so how is it that she is no longer here legally just because he died? If she was here legally when he was 8, what changed? Seems there is info missing . . . .

Why didn't she obtain her immigration documents like the rest of her family? It says she was here legally for 20 years and her son was her sponsor . . . but he was just 18 . . . so how is it that she is no longer here legally just because he died? If she was here legally when he was 8, what changed? Seems there is info missing . . . .

he was 25 not 18, where did you get 18? just read the article in abs's post, first line....25! ;)

She got legal status. Her son joined the military, and during that time her son earned HIS US Citizenship.

After he earned HIS, he was sponsoring his mother so that she could get permanent status.

The soldier died just a month or two before the status was going to be granted, and, because he was the sponsor for her original application and is now dead because he was killed on base by a crazy soldier, they are going to pull her application.

Like I said, she was almost home free until some idiot fellow military shot her son.

I say she should be approved.

I think this is one of those instances where the law sucks. This young man died serving this country, the least we could do is honor the wish of his mother being granted citizenship. It isn't about the mother. It is about what a fallen soldier wanted.

I can't disagree with this.

okay i left...not meaning to say anything on this thread..but then it struck me...what did you people do ..not you crimson but the rest of you..other than being lucky enough to be born here...(i am deleting a lot of words cause we aint in the flame zone..but you know i am thinking them)

so tell me you pompous bunch of asses...what did you do to earn being a citizen?

step up and post what great things you have done to earn your citizenship?

bunch of mo fo assholes.....just think you are so damned special...and i want to know why...

Death stymies soldier son's bid to get mother green card
Thursday, February 25, 2010

By this time last year, Eugenia Galdos’ son had this February planned.

The 25-year-old Army sergeant, Christian Bueno-Galdos, would come home to Paterson on leave from his second tour of duty in Iraq, his mother finally would have legal immigration status, and together they’d take a trip to their native Peru, for the annual Carnival.

Instead, Christian Bueno-Galdos’ body lies at the Totowa Cemetery. And immigration officials have not yet decided on his 2008 application seeking U.S. permanent residency for his mother, who could face deportation.

Galdos was one of five soldiers killed last May by a distraught fellow trooper who opened fire on them at a medical clinic at Camp Liberty in Iraq.

"I go to his grave at least every other day," said Galdos, who is 54, dresses in black, and has a black ribbon hanging on the door to her apartment. "I keep his grave clear, neat, whether it’s clearing away the snow or placing flowers. Sometimes I feel a gnawing unrest, and my husband says ‘It’s because you must visit his grave today. Go to the cemetery, that is what is making you anxious.’ "

"It is important to visit him," Galdos said, in Spanish, in her neatly furnished apartment on Columbia Avenue, adorned with pictures of Christian in his Army uniform. "This is the biggest reason why I want to stay in this country, which Christian loved so much."

The Bueno-Galdos family came about 20 years ago, joining the tens of thousands of other Peruvians who have settled in Paterson over the years. Years later, when Galdos applied for permanent residency, she was denied and ordered deported. The rest of the family had obtained their immigration documents, Galdos said, and Galdos held out hope that she, too, would be able to do so.

Christian, who decided in high school to enlist in the Army, made it a mission to help his mother gain her residency. In late 2008, after Christian submitted the petition on behalf of his mother, an immigration judge dismissed the deportation order and accepted her son’s application, Galdos said.

"Everything seemed to be moving along," she said.

But after Christian died, the residency process stalled, said his father, Carlos Bueno. In a meeting with immigration authorities, the couple said, officials brought up the old deportation order. Since then, immigration officials have told the family, as well as aides to Sen. Bob Menendez, to whom the family turned for help, that they are still looking into the case.

Asked to comment on the Paterson mother’s application, immigration officials would not discuss the details of Galdos’ case, citing confidentiality.

Carlos Bueno, who is 59 and says his health has declined dramatically since the death of his son, says he understands that immigration officials have their own priorities and a job to do.

But, he asked, "How can this situation be seen solely through legal technicalities? Why don’t they see a mother who wants to go to the grave of her son, who wants to always be with him, at least that way? One of my son’s last, strongest wishes was to help his mother get her legal residency. We’d like to see finished what Christian started."

Galdos almost had decided to send her youngest son’s body back to Peru to be buried.

But the more she thought about it, the more it became clear that this country had to be her son’s final resting place.

"This was truly his country," she said. "Yes, he loved Peru, but as more of a place to visit. This was home, this was the country he said he’d give his life up for defending, if it came to that."

His parents look at letters top Army officials sent to them, telling them what an asset Christian was to the military. The letters tell the parents how respected Christian was among his peers.

One official wrote that in his more than 20 years in the military, he’d never seen such an outpouring of love as he had at a memorial for Christian in Iraq.

"This family has been through enough," said Jack Fanous, executive director of G.I. Go Fund, a Newark-based, non-profit advocacy group for veterans. Group members have accompanied the family on visits to the immigration office in Newark and to Menendez’s office. "For their son to give his life for this country, and for us to show this mother the door is unacceptable. This family’s price of admission has been paid above and beyond what we ask."

NorthJersey.com: Dead soldier?s mom still fighting to stay in U.S.

The really sad thing is that this soldier was killed by the dude who snapped off line at the clinic in Baghdad. He had already made US citizen, and was sponsoring his mother.

They were almost home free when he was killed senselessly.

I think this woman should be allowed to stay, she's done more for this country than most.

Much as it pains me to say this - and it really, really, really is painful...... I agree with you. She should be allowed to stay.

okay i left...not meaning to say anything on this thread..but then it struck me...what did you people do ..not you crimson but the rest of you..other than being lucky enough to be born here...(i am deleting a lot of words cause we aint in the flame zone..but you know i am thinking them)

so tell me you pompous bunch of asses...what did you do to earn being a citizen?

bunch of mo fo assholes.....just think you are so damned special...and i want to know why...

I served in combat in Nam.
My father served in WW2.

I served in combat in Nam.
My father served in WW2.

And that's why you get it.

Forum List

Back