Conservative v. Liberal: Got to stop this

Kuz

元気
May 6, 2011
Istanbul, Turkey
So I noticed people take sides along ideological lines, and are not so compromising about it. This simply put has to stop. Unless the goal of some is to see most not benefit from living in civilization.

Essentially this liberal vs. conservative thing is and always has been crap fed to us to keep us in the dark about what really is going on. We are being treated as mushrooms. I mean not the good sauteed ones either.

I really want to ask this, but am afraid that maybe it will fall on deaf ears. When will we stop this and wake up?

I understand part of this has to do with people not able to understand one another, but if this is the case we must find a way for that to be possible.

This Conservative v. Liberal thing is simply a distraction.
I am sure I am not the first and not the last person who will be saying.

What is it distracting us from, in your view?

It has stopped. It's now big government vs limited government. We don't give a crap if there is an R or a D next to your name. You're either for more or less government. We no longer care what flavor of big government you support. They both are unsustainable and unconstitutional to boot. It's time to get back to individual liberty and fiscal sanity. It's that or the whole thing collapses.

It has stopped. It's now big government vs limited government. We don't give a crap if there is an R or a D next to your name. You're either for more or less government. We no longer care what flavor of big government you support. They both are unsustainable and unconstitutional to boot. It's time to get back to individual liberty and fiscal sanity. It's that or the whole thing collapses.

not so simple. Both sides want money from oligarchs that are vying for control of this country.
The corruption with Citizens United is now even more open and legalized.

Though this has always been happening. For me I think the system is reaching its end life.

Leadership all around is currently poor. The mediocre are elevated while the talent isn't even given a chance. This is what I am trying to get across, but you make a very good point too. I agree with you this thing is going to collapse. And it seems when it does the people may be ok with a non-democratic gov't that replaces it. That I do have a problem with.

Last edited:
So I noticed people take sides along ideological lines, and are not so compromising about it. This simply put has to stop. Unless the goal of some is to see most not benefit from living in civilization.

Essentially this liberal vs. conservative thing is and always has been crap fed to us to keep us in the dark about what really is going on. We are being treated as mushrooms. I mean not the good sauteed ones either.

I really want to ask this, but am afraid that maybe it will fall on deaf ears. When will we stop this and wake up?

I understand part of this has to do with people not able to understand one another, but if this is the case we must find a way for that to be possible.

When will people stop having differing opinions on what is and isn't a good idea? Never. When will everyone agree on what's the right thing to do? Never.

When will people stop being simpleminded and childish and expecting the real world to be like singing "Kum Bah Yah" around a campfire? Sadly, that's probably never, too.

I think kuz is talking about the "R" vs. "D" show that is fed to us by congress and the mainstream media. They make it look like they are so different just to keep us arguing and bickering while they both destroy this nation from within.

I think kuz is talking about the "R" vs. "D" show that is fed to us by congress and the mainstream media. They make it look like they are so different just to keep us arguing and bickering while they both destroy this nation from within.

Not my job to try to read minds and parse out what he MEANT to say. If he wanted to talk about Republicans and Democrats, then he should have SAID that, rather than "conservatives and liberals".

The whole point of words and language is to communicate. Perhaps he could try that.

First, you’ve provided no documentation that our current governmental system is 'un-Constitutional.'

Second, the Constitution states noting about the size of government – this is the government one has in relation to a First World Industrialized Superpower. It’s perfectly sustainable if we’re willing to adhere to the necessary taxing and spending priorities. It’s not about how ‘big’ or ‘small’ the government is, but how well it’s working.

Third, we are currently living in an Era of individual liberty. Unfortunately some cloud and confuse the issue by interpreting ‘individual liberty’ as meaning not being required to pay taxes or acknowledge the rule of law.

Last, the problem is not liberal v. conservative per se, but the blind adherence to political dogma – both left and right – rejecting facts which conflict with that dogma. Until a factual common ground can be realized as a foundation to move ahead with real change, the entire exercise will remain pointless.

Every government that has ever existed has socialized cost and privatized profit.
The War Racket and Bond Markets have functioned as their principle tools.
For thousands of years the richest 1% have received the profits while the majority has paid the cost.
At one time conservatives and liberals were opposed to this arrangement.
Today, the elites in both camps serve the same master.
They both employ distractions to keep us from seeing that.

The link below is to an article by Rep Jim Cooper in the Boston Review about how things have gone downhill with respect to cooperation in Congress. He blames the Repubs mostly, or appears to, beginning with Gingrich in the mid 90s. It's a good read.

My guess is, it'll take a major event, like another seriou recession or depression to convince the public and as a result the pols that some cooperation and compromise is neessary. Until that happens the status quo will probably remain in effect.

Boston Review — U.S. Rep. Jim Cooper: Fixing Congress

PS: anybody know of a good book on the subject of changing attitudes in Congress?

Last edited:
The link below is to an article by Rep Jim Cooper in the Boston Review about how things have gone downhill with respect to cooperation in Congress. He blames the Repubs mostly, or appears to, beginning with Gingrich in the mid 90s. It's a good read.

My guess is, it'll take a major event, like another seriou recession or depression to convince the public and as a result the pols that some cooperation and compromise is neessary. Until that happens the status quo will probably remain in effect.

PS: anybody know of a good book on the subject of changing attitudes in Congress?
Incentives matter:

"Today, it is almost unthinkable to suggest paying Congress for results.

"Many other professionals, however, such as teachers, physicians, CEOs and athletes, are increasingly paid for performance. Why not members of Congress? (Note: I am not advocating an overall congressional pay raise.)

"The first objections will come from members themselves because they hate the thought of taking full responsibility, looking bad, or making less money than a colleague. It is precisely that fear, however, that promotes better behavior. Why not pay members of Congress for performance? Surely there’s a way to measure and reward high-quality legislative work.

"Here’s a thought experiment: what if members were paid on commission to cut spending or to repeal obsolete laws? My bet is that you’d start to get some real action on budget deficits and redundant statutes.

"Of course, Congress should already be doing these things, but carrots make both donkeys and elephants move faster.

"Salary reform alone won’t get the job done, so here’s another thought experiment: what if members could only raise money from people who live in their districts, not outside interests?

"That would put a premium on residency and raise the stakes of redistricting. It would also give local taxpayers more influence."

As long as differences of opinions are allowed, there will be different political stances. I think what you are trying to imply is, the differences must be put aside in order to solve some of the threatening issues of the day. If that is your premise, I agree with that

To the very least, flexibility must be put forth on all sides. Dogmatic stances that allow no compromise is a sure way for this country to lose its place in the world.

If you don't have some theory about what is wrong, then how will you know who to vote for? Liberalism and Conservatism are just theories about how society and economics works. What you're saying is that you don't care what works. we'll just throw darts at the wall blindfolded and hope one hits the bulls eye.

I can't imagine anything more idiotic than claiming ideology is irrelevant. that's the same as saying truth is irrelevant.

If you don't have some theory about what is wrong, then how will you know who to vote for? Liberalism and Conservatism are just theories about how society and economics works. What you're saying is that you don't care what works. we'll just throw darts at the wall blindfolded and hope one hits the bulls eye.

I can't imagine anything more idiotic than claiming ideology is irrelevant. that's the same as saying truth is irrelevant.

Edit: I actually agree with what you're saying. I misread your post earlier.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back