Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Participate in Group Prayers"

Personally, I think that all this Chick-fil-A brouhaha is much ado about nonsense. People on both sides need to get a life and stop acting so damn childish.

HOWEVER, it has managed to shed a light on some CfA internal requirements for franchisees that, in my humble opinion, is anathema to the notion of freedom in this country and what is and IS NOT appropriate for an employer to expect and demand out of an employee.

I don't read Daily Kos, but this was the first site where I could find this information. That's why I included it here.

Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

Listening to Randi Rhodes yesterday, I heard something that struck me. So I did a little research and found this, which I thought worth sharing with you all.

An article in the small business section of the Houston Chronicle reports on how one can win approval to become a franchise operator for Chick-fil-A.
First you fill out an application, and the company does some checking into your financial background, etc. Step 2 in winning approval mentions that the company wants franchisees to be "active" in their communities, and notes specifically that they "prefer" people who participate in "community, religious and professional organizations." Now it's getting interesting, but even that's pretty mild stuff compared to what's coming, especially after step 3, which merely emphasizes that operating the franchise should be the applicant's full-time job.
Step 4 Play an active role in your church. Chick-fil-A's owners are devout Christians and expect all of their operators to share Christian values. Operators do not need to be Christian, but must be willing to close the restaurant on Sundays, espouse Christian values and be willing to participate in group prayers during training and management meetings.
That's where I took a deep breath. Yes, it says that operators don't have to be Christian, but there's the part about values and prayers. We'll discuss that further in a bit. Step 5 asks applicants to be prepared for a long vetting process. Then Step 6 informs applicants that they will have to clearly declare their marital status, and notes that the chairman, S. Truett Cathy, "prefers" that all franchisees be married. The article goes on to explain that:
One-third of all Chick-fil-A operators have attended Christian relationship-building retreats at the urging of the company. Cathy notes that he would probably terminate the contract of an operator who had done something sinful or harmful to his family.​
Daily Kos: Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

they're not employes.

no one forces them to buy a franchise.

you may or may not wish to unbunch your panties now.

have a pleasant day.

While franchisees supposedly are not 'required' to be Christian, my guess is that most (if not all) franchisees are (or profess to be) Christians. Regardless, as a condition for being awarded a franchise, the operators are required or coerced into participating in group prayer.

Now, let's start with a premise at this point. IF there actually ARE some franchisees who are NOT Christian, doesn't it stand to reason that they feel that they're required to pray to a God they don't believe in just to maintain their franchise?

Now, let's start with a premise at this point. IF there actually ARE some franchisees who are NOT Christian, doesn't it stand to reason that they feel that they're required to pray to a God they don't believe in just to maintain their franchise?

They shouldn't have bought into that system to begin with.

Show me the law CFA is breaking with these requirements of franchisee owners.

I know for a FACT that a person cannot legally sign away their constitutional rights in a contract. That's why, as an example, there's no such thing as someone who can legally selling themselves into slavery.

you mean that you can volutarily agree to do non-religious things but you cannot voluntarily agree to do religious things.....?

If it's truly voluntary to engage in group prayer, then a person may decline to pray as well as agree to pray. Since declining obviously is not an option if one wants to maintain their franchise, then it's obviously not voluntary.

See how that works?

If it's truly voluntary to engage in group prayer, then a person may decline to pray as well as agree to pray. Since declining obviously is not an option if one wants to maintain their franchise, then it's obviously not voluntary.

See how that works?

Knowing that, you might think twice about buying into that privately held corporation.

See it how it works. ?

so if you get thrown out of your apartment because you broke the rules of the contract does that mean you are "fired".....? :cuckoo:

do you then get unemployment compensation.....? :lol:

Can a person legally be evicted from an apartment for refusing to pray with the apartment building owner when he is otherwise paying his rent on time and is in full compliance with the provisions of his lease?

no.....because it is not in the contract....

what is your big hang-up with praying.....?

And if it was in the contract, it wouldn't be legally binding.

If people want to pray voluntarily, I don't have a problem with it. But someone better not think that they can use their position of authority to coerce someone to pray under the threat (either an explicit or an implied threat) of punishment or sanction. That is just plain wrong, and I believe that it would not pass a constitutional test, contract or no contract.

Personally, I think that all this Chick-fil-A brouhaha is much ado about nonsense. People on both sides need to get a life and stop acting so damn childish.

HOWEVER, it has managed to shed a light on some CfA internal requirements for franchisees that, in my humble opinion, is anathema to the notion of freedom in this country and what is and IS NOT appropriate for an employer to expect and demand out of an employee.

I don't read Daily Kos, but this was the first site where I could find this information. That's why I included it here.

Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

Listening to Randi Rhodes yesterday, I heard something that struck me. So I did a little research and found this, which I thought worth sharing with you all.

An article in the small business section of the Houston Chronicle reports on how one can win approval to become a franchise operator for Chick-fil-A.
First you fill out an application, and the company does some checking into your financial background, etc. Step 2 in winning approval mentions that the company wants franchisees to be "active" in their communities, and notes specifically that they "prefer" people who participate in "community, religious and professional organizations." Now it's getting interesting, but even that's pretty mild stuff compared to what's coming, especially after step 3, which merely emphasizes that operating the franchise should be the applicant's full-time job.
Step 4 Play an active role in your church. Chick-fil-A's owners are devout Christians and expect all of their operators to share Christian values. Operators do not need to be Christian, but must be willing to close the restaurant on Sundays, espouse Christian values and be willing to participate in group prayers during training and management meetings.
That's where I took a deep breath. Yes, it says that operators don't have to be Christian, but there's the part about values and prayers. We'll discuss that further in a bit. Step 5 asks applicants to be prepared for a long vetting process. Then Step 6 informs applicants that they will have to clearly declare their marital status, and notes that the chairman, S. Truett Cathy, "prefers" that all franchisees be married. The article goes on to explain that:

One-third of all Chick-fil-A operators have attended Christian relationship-building retreats at the urging of the company. Cathy notes that he would probably terminate the contract of an operator who had done something sinful or harmful to his family.​
Daily Kos: Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

Like others have already pointed out. a Franchise is not an Employee, People can choose not to Buy a Franchise.

Your own Article Says the Urge them to do it, not they Require them to.

Can a person legally be evicted from an apartment for refusing to pray with the apartment building owner when he is otherwise paying his rent on time and is in full compliance with the provisions of his lease?

If people want to pray voluntarily, I don't have a problem with it. But someone better not think that they can use their position of authority to coerce someone to pray under the threat (either an explicit or an implied threat) of punishment or sanction. That is just plain wrong, and I believe that it would not pass a constitutional test, contract or no contract.

Then you clearly have no understand at all of what a Contract is.

i'll bet Mustang is OK with muslim religious practices which are happening with that other chicken company....

no bacon allowed....!

kfc_kure2.jpg

234226777651-vi.jpg

Last edited:

They could make you the customer pray in order to eat at Chick-fil-a and the Constitution would be of no effect.

Like others have already pointed out. a Franchise is not an Employee, People can choose not to Buy a Franchise.

Your own Article Says the Urge them to do it, not they Require them to.

Let me ask you a question.

Since C-f-A is a franchise, and a franchise is TOTALLY different from regular employment, why do you think that Cathy didn't state that his franchisees HAD to be Christian as a condition of being awarded a franchise?

Mustang is clearly bothered by the free expression of religion and feels it's unConstitutional and/or immoral and irrational

Then you clearly have no understand at all of what a Contract is.

Far better than you, apparently.

If you think that's a lot of religious hulabaloo to own and operate a business, you should see what a food producing business owner who wants his company to be labeled as "Kosher" has to go through!

We are talking rabbis inspecting the premises and religious ceremonies and requirements that would make your pointy head spin.

Randi Rhodes is blinded by her hatred of Christians.

Last edited:
OK Kosher Certification — Calling It Kosher: How to and Why
For Rabbi Levy is president of one of the leading nonprofit organizations in the United States which certify that foods are kosher - or properly prepared in accordance with the Jewish dietary laws. Hundreds of companies making thousands of food products, along with scores of ingredients and packaging manufacturers, have been granted certification.

Rabbi Levy's group is the Committee for the Furtherance of Torah Observance, whose insignia is the letter "K" inside a circle.

Other symbols and letters, testifying that an Orthodox Rabbi, or group of Rabbis, has found an item to be kosher, can also be seen, usually printed unobtrusively on labels and sometimes mentioned in advertising.

"We have been advised that on a recent inspection of your store there was found an unauthorized product_______________. This is a direct violation of your Dealer's License Agreement, and it jeopardizes the kosher approval of the entire Carvel chain. This letter is being sent to you pursuant to Paragraph 17 of your Dealer's License Agreement, giving you 48 hours to correct this violation and give us your written assurance that it will not recur again in the future. We urge you to protect your investment and comply with this request within the prescribed time."

See how that works?

Knowing that, you might think twice about buying into that privately held corporation.

See it how it works. ?

Actually, most business owners are smart enough not to alienate any segment of the population. And do you know why? Because it's NOT good business. You see, everyone's money is green and contributes to the bottom line, regardless of THEIR politics. That's why. Cathy has likely endeared himself to RW Christians with his announcement, but he's also alienated a LOT of people. Once the lines have shortened because the immediacy of the controversy is over, their franchises will probably experience a dip in sales as people take their business elsewhere.

See how that works?

See it how it works. ?

Actually, most business owners are smart enough not to alienate any segment of the population. And do you know why? Because it's NOT good business. You see, everyone's money is green and contributes to the bottom line, regardless of THEIR politics. That's why. Cathy has likely endeared himself to RW Christians with his announcement, but he's also alienated a LOT of people. Once the lines have shortened because the immediacy of the controversy is over, their franchises will probably experience a dip in sales as people take their business elsewhere.

I seriously doubt that.

Franchisees aren't employees. They're business owners who purchase the name, reputation, advertising, and business assistance of a large company, and in so doing, take on a contractual responsibility to represent that company's name and reputation according to its rules. "Freedom" has nothing to do with it, since it is a voluntary contract between two private individuals. No one is forcing those franchisees to choose to open a Chick-Fil-A, rather than a Subway or a McDonald's or any other fast-food franchise, and as long as Chick-Fil-A is not requiring anything illegal, they have every right to choose their franchisees however they see fit.

In other words, yes, Chick-fil-A does engage in religious discrimination, but in this case, loopholes in our laws against such discrimination allow Chick-fil-a to get away with it.

They don't care. They cut 1/7th of their revenue potential and one of the two highest volume days of the week for fast food based on religious principal since 1964. They are also closed at 10:00pm system wide.

They are a privately held corporation that has very high market share and turns away potential franchisees.

Don't go. Doesn't matter.

Last edited:

Franchisees aren't employees. They're business owners who purchase the name, reputation, advertising, and business assistance of a large company, and in so doing, take on a contractual responsibility to represent that company's name and reputation according to its rules. "Freedom" has nothing to do with it, since it is a voluntary contract between two private individuals. No one is forcing those franchisees to choose to open a Chick-Fil-A, rather than a Subway or a McDonald's or any other fast-food franchise, and as long as Chick-Fil-A is not requiring anything illegal, they have every right to choose their franchisees however they see fit.

In other words, yes, Chick-fil-A does engage in religious discrimination, but in this case, loopholes in our laws against such discrimination allow Chick-fil-a to get away with it.

As long as these Requirements were in place before the Owners signed the Contract, and they were aware of them, I do not see how you people can call this Discrimination.

Forum List

Back