Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Participate in Group Prayers"

Christian Blowback....what an interesting concept. I wonder what Jesus' take on that would be......:eusa_whistle:

Jesus was no door mat and neither are we... and the sooner you realize that, the sooner we can move on to more important issues.

Everything we did the other day was peaceful and family oriented.

Jesus was proud of us...

repub-jesus.jpg

No, idiot. You miss the point. A franchisee simply has a cotnract with the company. He is not an employee. He cannot be fired. It is a completely different relationship.
But even so, why couldn't an employer impose this on an employee? What's wrong with it? If you dont like it, go work somewhere else.

A franchisee cannot be fired? Cathy has stated that "he would probably terminate the contract of an operator who had done something sinful..."

We're talking about a distinction without a difference. "Oh, I'm not firing you! I'm terminating your contract." See, it's COMPLETELY different."

Do you understand the difference between "firing" someone and "terminating a business contract"? Probably not, since you've already demonstrated you don't know shit about business contracts or franchises.

We're talking about something that's NONE OF YOUR FRIGGING BUSINESS. Are you a Chick-Fil-A franchisee? Someone hold a gun to your head and force you to sign a contract to open one of their stores, did they? No? Then what's it to you what contracts other people decide to sign?

My God, educate yourself a little and stop sounding like such a schmuck.

What is franchise? definition and meaning

Franchising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Franchise Definition | Investopedia

I can't doing anything about it since I don't have standing. But I certainly hope some franchisee takes them to court.

No, idiot. You miss the point. A franchisee simply has a cotnract with the company. He is not an employee. He cannot be fired. It is a completely different relationship.
But even so, why couldn't an employer impose this on an employee? What's wrong with it? If you dont like it, go work somewhere else.

A franchisee cannot be fired? Cathy has stated that "he would probably terminate the contract of an operator who had done something sinful..."

We're talking about a distinction without a difference. "Oh, I'm not firing you! I'm terminating your contract." See, it's COMPLETELY different."

so if you get thrown out of your apartment because you broke the rules of the contract does that mean you are "fired".....? :cuckoo:

do you then get unemployment compensation.....? :lol:

Can a person legally be evicted from an apartment for refusing to pray with the apartment building owner when he is otherwise paying his rent on time and is in full compliance with the provisions of his lease?

A franchisee is not an employee. CFA is not the Federal government. If people dont like it, they dont have to do business with CFA.
So other than being completely off base your post is stupid.

It's not off base in the least. It's religious discrimination which, by the way, is something that conservatives are always crying about. Chick-fil-A is imposing their religious values on people who essentially work FOR them, whether they're called employees, or franchisees, or contract workers. The end result is still the same.

Show me the law CFA is breaking with these requirements of franchisee owners.

so if you get thrown out of your apartment because you broke the rules of the contract does that mean you are "fired".....? :cuckoo:

Can a person legally be evicted from an apartment for refusing to pray with the apartment building owner when he is otherwise paying his rent on time and is in full compliance with the provisions of his lease?

no.....because it is not in the contract....

what is your big hang-up with praying.....?

Would it be legal if it was included in the contract?

A franchisee is not an employee. CFA is not the Federal government. If people dont like it, they dont have to do business with CFA.

It's not off base in the least. It's religious discrimination which, by the way, is something that conservatives are always crying about. Chick-fil-A is imposing their religious values on people who essentially work FOR them, whether they're called employees, or franchisees, or contract workers. The end result is still the same.

I know for a FACT that a person cannot legally sign away their constitutional rights in a contract. That's why, as an example, there's no such thing as someone who can legally selling themselves into slavery.

Would it be legal if it was included in the contract?

as long as it did not break any rental laws.....yes

Personally, I think that all this Chick-fil-A brouhaha is much ado about nonsense. People on both sides need to get a life and stop acting so damn childish.

HOWEVER, it has managed to shed a light on some CfA internal requirements for franchisees that, in my humble opinion, is anathema to the notion of freedom in this country and what is and IS NOT appropriate for an employer to expect and demand out of an employee.

I don't read Daily Kos, but this was the first site where I could find this information. That's why I included it here.

Franchisees aren't employees. They're business owners who purchase the name, reputation, advertising, and business assistance of a large company, and in so doing, take on a contractual responsibility to represent that company's name and reputation according to its rules. "Freedom" has nothing to do with it, since it is a voluntary contract between two private individuals. No one is forcing those franchisees to choose to open a Chick-Fil-A, rather than a Subway or a McDonald's or any other fast-food franchise, and as long as Chick-Fil-A is not requiring anything illegal, they have every right to choose their franchisees however they see fit.

I don't have any problem with garden variety "codes of conduct" in order to set a standard of behavior related to business dealings. I also don't have any problem with work place rules. But imposing one's religious beliefs on another in the work place when the work place is anything other than a house of worship is just plain wrong and it runs contrary to the centuries old tenets of religious freedom on which this country was and is founded.

Aside from that common sense and logic, one can't sign away his or her constitutional freedoms under the provisions of a business contract.

Your constitutional freedoms prevent the GOVERNMENT from forcing you to follow religous protocols, it has nothing to do with a given code of conduct voluntarily signed into via contract.

What about morals clauses in business contracts that may cause you to be fired for saying certain things? Those have been upheld in courts. This is the same exact thing.

No, because it wasn't in the contract. In any case, housing is a specially protected activity. So your analogy is simply wrong.

I guess only Muslims can count on support from liberals when it comes to freedom of religion or deciding how your private business will be run.

Muslims owners of a southern gas station refuse service to American military members in uniform. Many people protested, which is their right, but did not make threats or commit violent acts toward the owners of the station. They did not run to big brother government and ask that the station be shut down. They simply let everyone know what was going on and many people chose to take their business elsewhere.

While the left turns a blind eye to that sort of freedom of speech, they don't show the same consideration for others who exercise that right. I am quite sure Muslims do not hire infidels to work with them, but don't expect any liberal outrage at that. Only when a Christian business owner practices his religion and runs his own business as he sees fit does the left express anger.

The government seems to think it has the right to force businesses and private citizens to run things they way they think it should be. Where is the line that gets crossed? Why would a non-Christian want to work at Chick-fil-A? After all, the left has vilified them to the point where they are a target for every leftie whackjob out there.

The rules for Chick-fil-A are that no employee needs to be Christian, but must embrace values. I guess following the ten commandments is viewed as radical by the left. And people working there must endure a prayer or something at the beginning of meetings, similar to the national anthem played at the beginning of games. Not a big deal, but anyone who hates Christians would find it uncomfortable.

Meanwhile, anyone living near mosques is likely to have to put up with loud Muslim calls to prayers and blocked roads that make travel difficult as Muslims take to the streets for their long prayer services. But some will bitch about a simple prayer prior to a meeting? Good grief!

Companies must bend over backwards to accommodate Muslims employees, including allowing them to forego uniforms, not be required to handle pork or deal with people who have been drinking. Sam's Club carries meat that has been killed in the name of Allah and you have to really look at the label to ensure you don't buy meat that is not meant for infidels.

Christians don't get the same breaks.

When a group of Christians makes your commute home from work longer because you have to detour at least once a week so they can take over public streets, get back to me.

Last edited:

I know for a FACT that a person cannot legally sign away their constitutional rights in a contract. That's why, as an example, there's no such thing as someone who can legally selling themselves into slavery.

Um, no. That is not the case. People do it all the time. Ever hear of a non-compete clause? Or a gag order? You can't sell yourself into slavery because slavery itself is prohibited in the Constitution.

no, it's not, but i guess the concept of franchising is just too cutting edge to grasp.

there's a hidden bible verse on each individual waffle fry

oh, the humanity

Thats because slavery is something specifically spelled out in the consitution as illegal for a PERSON to perform on another person. That, and transporting alcohol into a state or county that prohibits it. The consitution prohibits only GOVERNMENT from preventing you from doing certain things, it does not prevent business contracts that can prohibit the very same things.

A person can however, sign away thier ability to work for others via contract, or exclusively work for a single party. Contracts like a baseball players contract.

Personally, I think that all this Chick-fil-A brouhaha is much ado about nonsense. People on both sides need to get a life and stop acting so damn childish.

HOWEVER, it has managed to shed a light on some CfA internal requirements for franchisees that, in my humble opinion, is anathema to the notion of freedom in this country and what is and IS NOT appropriate for an employer to expect and demand out of an employee.

I don't read Daily Kos, but this was the first site where I could find this information. That's why I included it here.

Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

Listening to Randi Rhodes yesterday, I heard something that struck me. So I did a little research and found this, which I thought worth sharing with you all.

An article in the small business section of the Houston Chronicle reports on how one can win approval to become a franchise operator for Chick-fil-A.
First you fill out an application, and the company does some checking into your financial background, etc. Step 2 in winning approval mentions that the company wants franchisees to be "active" in their communities, and notes specifically that they "prefer" people who participate in "community, religious and professional organizations." Now it's getting interesting, but even that's pretty mild stuff compared to what's coming, especially after step 3, which merely emphasizes that operating the franchise should be the applicant's full-time job.
Step 4 Play an active role in your church. Chick-fil-A's owners are devout Christians and expect all of their operators to share Christian values. Operators do not need to be Christian, but must be willing to close the restaurant on Sundays, espouse Christian values and be willing to participate in group prayers during training and management meetings.
That's where I took a deep breath. Yes, it says that operators don't have to be Christian, but there's the part about values and prayers. We'll discuss that further in a bit. Step 5 asks applicants to be prepared for a long vetting process. Then Step 6 informs applicants that they will have to clearly declare their marital status, and notes that the chairman, S. Truett Cathy, "prefers" that all franchisees be married. The article goes on to explain that:

One-third of all Chick-fil-A operators have attended Christian relationship-building retreats at the urging of the company. Cathy notes that he would probably terminate the contract of an operator who had done something sinful or harmful to his family.​
Daily Kos: Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

You do realize that owning a Chick -fil-a is a voluntary thing, don't you?

If group prayer gets me the same ROI as Chick-fil-a franchisees enjoy.....lets get on our knees team.

you mean that you can volutarily agree to do non-religious things but you cannot voluntarily agree to do religious things.....?

Last edited:

you mean that you can volutarily agree to do non-religious things but you cannot agree to do religious things.....?

Mustang has no clue.. don't waste your time... he seems stoned like 24/7.

Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

Listening to Randi Rhodes yesterday, I heard something that struck me. So I did a little research and found this, which I thought worth sharing with you all.

An article in the small business section of the Houston Chronicle reports on how one can win approval to become a franchise operator for Chick-fil-A.
First you fill out an application, and the company does some checking into your financial background, etc. Step 2 in winning approval mentions that the company wants franchisees to be "active" in their communities, and notes specifically that they "prefer" people who participate in "community, religious and professional organizations." Now it's getting interesting, but even that's pretty mild stuff compared to what's coming, especially after step 3, which merely emphasizes that operating the franchise should be the applicant's full-time job.
Step 4 Play an active role in your church. Chick-fil-A's owners are devout Christians and expect all of their operators to share Christian values. Operators do not need to be Christian, but must be willing to close the restaurant on Sundays, espouse Christian values and be willing to participate in group prayers during training and management meetings.
That's where I took a deep breath. Yes, it says that operators don't have to be Christian, but there's the part about values and prayers. We'll discuss that further in a bit. Step 5 asks applicants to be prepared for a long vetting process. Then Step 6 informs applicants that they will have to clearly declare their marital status, and notes that the chairman, S. Truett Cathy, "prefers" that all franchisees be married. The article goes on to explain that:

One-third of all Chick-fil-A operators have attended Christian relationship-building retreats at the urging of the company. Cathy notes that he would probably terminate the contract of an operator who had done something sinful or harmful to his family.​
Daily Kos: Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

they're not employes.

no one forces them to buy a franchise.

you may or may not wish to unbunch your panties now.

have a pleasant day.

you mean that you can volutarily agree to do non-religious things but you cannot agree to do religious things.....?

Mustang has no clue.. don't waste your time... he seems stoned like 24/7.

he seems like a typical brainwashed liberal.....anytime you bring up Christian religion they go beserk....

Last edited:

Forum List

Back