Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Participate in Group Prayers"

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
Personally, I think that all this Chick-fil-A brouhaha is much ado about nonsense. People on both sides need to get a life and stop acting so damn childish.

HOWEVER, it has managed to shed a light on some CfA internal requirements for franchisees that, in my humble opinion, is anathema to the notion of freedom in this country and what is and IS NOT appropriate for an employer to expect and demand out of an employee.

I don't read Daily Kos, but this was the first site where I could find this information. That's why I included it here.

Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

Listening to Randi Rhodes yesterday, I heard something that struck me. So I did a little research and found this, which I thought worth sharing with you all.

An article in the small business section of the Houston Chronicle reports on how one can win approval to become a franchise operator for Chick-fil-A.
First you fill out an application, and the company does some checking into your financial background, etc. Step 2 in winning approval mentions that the company wants franchisees to be "active" in their communities, and notes specifically that they "prefer" people who participate in "community, religious and professional organizations." Now it's getting interesting, but even that's pretty mild stuff compared to what's coming, especially after step 3, which merely emphasizes that operating the franchise should be the applicant's full-time job.
Step 4 Play an active role in your church. Chick-fil-A's owners are devout Christians and expect all of their operators to share Christian values. Operators do not need to be Christian, but must be willing to close the restaurant on Sundays, espouse Christian values and be willing to participate in group prayers during training and management meetings.
That's where I took a deep breath. Yes, it says that operators don't have to be Christian, but there's the part about values and prayers. We'll discuss that further in a bit. Step 5 asks applicants to be prepared for a long vetting process. Then Step 6 informs applicants that they will have to clearly declare their marital status, and notes that the chairman, S. Truett Cathy, "prefers" that all franchisees be married. The article goes on to explain that:

One-third of all Chick-fil-A operators have attended Christian relationship-building retreats at the urging of the company. Cathy notes that he would probably terminate the contract of an operator who had done something sinful or harmful to his family.​
Daily Kos: Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

A franchisee is not an employee. CFA is not the Federal government. If people dont like it, they dont have to do business with CFA.
So other than being completely off base your post is stupid.

Personally, I think that all this Chick-fil-A brouhaha is much ado about nonsense. People on both sides need to get a life and stop acting so damn childish.

HOWEVER, it has managed to shed a light on some CfA internal requirements for franchisees that, in my humble opinion, is anathema to the notion of freedom in this country and what is and IS NOT appropriate for an employer to expect and demand out of an employee.

I don't read Daily Kos, but this was the first site where I could find this information. That's why I included it here.

Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

Listening to Randi Rhodes yesterday, I heard something that struck me. So I did a little research and found this, which I thought worth sharing with you all.

An article in the small business section of the Houston Chronicle reports on how one can win approval to become a franchise operator for Chick-fil-A.
First you fill out an application, and the company does some checking into your financial background, etc. Step 2 in winning approval mentions that the company wants franchisees to be "active" in their communities, and notes specifically that they "prefer" people who participate in "community, religious and professional organizations." Now it's getting interesting, but even that's pretty mild stuff compared to what's coming, especially after step 3, which merely emphasizes that operating the franchise should be the applicant's full-time job.
Step 4 Play an active role in your church. Chick-fil-A's owners are devout Christians and expect all of their operators to share Christian values. Operators do not need to be Christian, but must be willing to close the restaurant on Sundays, espouse Christian values and be willing to participate in group prayers during training and management meetings.
That's where I took a deep breath. Yes, it says that operators don't have to be Christian, but there's the part about values and prayers. We'll discuss that further in a bit. Step 5 asks applicants to be prepared for a long vetting process. Then Step 6 informs applicants that they will have to clearly declare their marital status, and notes that the chairman, S. Truett Cathy, "prefers" that all franchisees be married. The article goes on to explain that:

One-third of all Chick-fil-A operators have attended Christian relationship-building retreats at the urging of the company. Cathy notes that he would probably terminate the contract of an operator who had done something sinful or harmful to his family.​
Daily Kos: Chick-fil-A: Franchise Operators Must "Espouse Christian Values" and "Participate in Group Prayers"

Franchisees aren't employees. They're business owners who purchase the name, reputation, advertising, and business assistance of a large company, and in so doing, take on a contractual responsibility to represent that company's name and reputation according to its rules. "Freedom" has nothing to do with it, since it is a voluntary contract between two private individuals. No one is forcing those franchisees to choose to open a Chick-Fil-A, rather than a Subway or a McDonald's or any other fast-food franchise, and as long as Chick-Fil-A is not requiring anything illegal, they have every right to choose their franchisees however they see fit.

A franchisee is not an employee. CFA is not the Federal government. If people dont like it, they dont have to do business with CFA.

It's not off base in the least. It's religious discrimination which, by the way, is something that conservatives are always crying about. Chick-fil-A is imposing their religious values on people who essentially work FOR them, whether they're called employees, or franchisees, or contract workers. The end result is still the same.

Even Jesus says this is wrong,

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Matthew 6:6

Franchisees aren't employees. They're business owners who purchase the name, reputation, advertising, and business assistance of a large company, and in so doing, take on a contractual responsibility to represent that company's name and reputation according to its rules. "Freedom" has nothing to do with it, since it is a voluntary contract between two private individuals. No one is forcing those franchisees to choose to open a Chick-Fil-A, rather than a Subway or a McDonald's or any other fast-food franchise, and as long as Chick-Fil-A is not requiring anything illegal, they have every right to choose their franchisees however they see fit.

I don't have any problem with garden variety "codes of conduct" in order to set a standard of behavior related to business dealings. I also don't have any problem with work place rules. But imposing one's religious beliefs on another in the work place when the work place is anything other than a house of worship is just plain wrong and it runs contrary to the centuries old tenets of religious freedom on which this country was and is founded.

Aside from that common sense and logic, one can't sign away his or her constitutional freedoms under the provisions of a business contract.

It's not off base in the least. It's religious discrimination which, by the way, is something that conservatives are always crying about. Chick-fil-A is imposing their religious values on people who essentially work FOR them, whether they're called employees, or franchisees, or contract workers. The end result is still the same.

CFA has EVERY RIGHT to pick and choose who they sell a franchise to, it is THEIR name on the building and THEIR reputation on the line. Nobody is required to buy a CFA franchise if they disagree with CFA policies.

And I have no obligation whatever to purchase anything from Chicki Poo. Chicki Poo joins my list of companies that will never see a dime of my money. They are in good company with Walmart and Apple.

I know this will make no difference in the larger scheme of things but it makes me feel better.

See? the sweet thing is you're not forced to work for them. True?

And I have no obligation whatever to purchase anything from Chicki Poo. Chicki Poo joins my list of companies that will never see a dime of my money. They are in good company with Walmart and Apple.

I know this will make no difference in the larger scheme of things but it makes me feel better.

Apple will be crushed to hear of this. :lol: Apple has more money than God.

I worked for them in the latter '70's, they never pulled that shit on us, we had more freedoms from forced religion back then.

How much money does God have?

I worked for them in the latter '70's, they never pulled that shit on us, we had more freedoms from forced religion back then.

I doubt seriously they do it now. It's just anti Chrisitian hysteria on the left's part. They've been demonizing Christians for years now. And they're getting the blowback. Stand firm. This too Shall Pass. Maybe.

Everyone Franchisor has a code of conduct, since all franchisees represent the entire corporation. One bad franchisee own may hurt the reputation of the entire franchise.

I'm Jewish and I have no problem with Cathy's requirements to uphold Christian values!

You really have no frigging clue how franchises work.

How much money does God have?

ask him.

But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Let me ask you something, Billy Graham. When have you EVER had a Christian come to you and say, "You know, I'm just DYING to have you interpret the Bible for me and tell me what Christianity is and how I should go about practicing it"?

I'm betting about as often as you've had stockbrokers come and ask your advice on the Dow Jones.

Matt 10:27
What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops

Forum List

Back