Blaming Politicians For the Price of Gas?

Jan 2009, gas was 1.83/gallon, crude oil was 33.07/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 6% of the price per barrel.

Jan 2010, gas was 2.62/gallon, crude oil was 69.85/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 4% of the price per barrel.

Jan 2011, gas was 3.10/gallon, crude oil was 84.47/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 4% of the price per barrel.

Jan 2012, gas was 3.35/gallon, crude oil was 97.22/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 3.4% of the price per barrel.

Gas prices have risen 83% since Obama took office, while crude has risen 194%.

No idea whose fault it is, just throwing numbers out there.
oil is a commodity that is sold on the open market. it boggles my mind that the right blames Obama for not intervening in the free market, while claiming at the same time that the free market system is the best in world. pot meet kettle...
Yet W was blamed, and then when he repealed the presidential drilling moritorium, the prices of oil AND gas plummetted in weeks to where they should have been.

Strange.

what was the date on that? I'd like to check my charts.

I gave you a chart of gas prices for 20 years check it
Do you notice that sharp drop in gas prices near the end of 2008? That was also the same time bush lifted the off shore drilling ban. Just by the stroke of a presidential pen the price of gas dropped.
j1kbb.png

Do you notice that sharp drop in gas prices near the end of 2008? That was also the same time bush lifted the off shore drilling ban.

That is fucking funny. Now what else was happening at the end of '08 that had an effect on oil prices.

Wait wait don't tell me, was it the BEGINNING OF THE RECESSION?

Did the recession have an effect on commidity prices I ask? No you say. It was the Bush signing.

Yea right. Whatever.

Quick question........why is it that because there is a chance of gas hitting 4.00/gal, that everyone is blaming Obama?

How come they never blamed Jr. back in 2008 when the same thing happened?

The only reason that gas is so high now compared to when Obama took office, is that gas prices started to drop in Jan 2009.

Who didn't blame Bush?

Gas Hits $4 a Gallon; Bush "Hadn't Heard That" | Crooks and Liars

The problem is that everyone (in the GOP) is currently blaming Obama for the high gas prices.

Why don't they remember what happened under Jr.?

They do. They blamed JR now you get some more then fair payback.

Do you notice that sharp drop in gas prices near the end of 2008? That was also the same time bush lifted the off shore drilling ban.

That is fucking funny. Now what else was happening at the end of '08 that had an effect on oil prices.

Did the recession have an effect on commidity prices I ask? No you say. It was the Bush signing.

Yea right. Whatever.

In a recession gas prices are not going to fall they will rise. So try again.

Yea right. Whatever.

Because lower demand makes prices rise?
You need to quit while you're behind here.

Yea right. Whatever.

Because lower demand makes prices rise?
You need to quit while you're behind here.
FUCK YOU
Do you understand this? So is demand up now?
Bush lifted the off shore drilling ban gas prices came down, obama reinstates the ban gas prices go up.

Last edited:
oil is a commodity that is sold on the open market. it boggles my mind that the right blames Obama for not intervening in the free market, while claiming at the same time that the free market system is the best in world. pot meet kettle...
Yet W was blamed, and then when he repealed the presidential drilling moritorium, the prices of oil AND gas plummetted in weeks to where they should have been.

Strange.

Early to Mid July 2008. I'm not sure on the exact date, but news articles all seem to be around the second week of the month. I remember it because gas prices in the Twin cities the same day dropped for the first time in months and continued to drop by 10-15 cents every week till they reached a buck sixtyish.

Strange.

Early to Mid July 2008. I'm not sure on the exact date, but news articles all seem to be around the second week of the month. I remember it because gas prices in the Twin cities the same day dropped for the first time in months and continued to drop by 10-15 cents every week till they reached a buck sixtyish.

you appear to be correct.

Bush Lifts Drilling Moratorium, Prodding Congress - NYTimes.com
July 14, 2008
President Bush lifted a presidential moratorium on drilling for oil and natural gas on the Outer Continental Shelf on Monday, hoping to prod Congress to act to clear the way for exploration along the country’s coastline in response to soaring energy prices.

HISTORY OF CRUDE OIL PRICES
January $84.70
February $86.64
March $96.87
April $104.31
May $117.40
June $126.33
July $126.16
August $108.46
September $96.13
October $68.50
November $49.29
December $32.94

While I will be one of the first to say that politicians are bottom feeders a simple fact needs to be said:

In 1962 if you made $1.00 an hour and gas was .25 a gallon it took one hour of work to buy 4 gallons of gas.
In 2012 if you make $16.00 an hour and gas was $4.00 a gallon it would take one one hour to buy 4 gallons of gas.

In 1962 most cars got 8-12 MPG
In 2012 most cars get 20-35 MPG

Just saying............................

And how did you feel in 2008 when the Dems were beating up the Republicans for supposed high gas prices?

Political hack!

A LOT of things can cause acute spikes or declines in the price of oil.

Gee-zeus! people, do you all just forget everything you already know in order to take your partisan positions on this board?

You must because I know damned well most of you aren't fucking retarded.

That is the root of the problem when supply is greater than demand and prices continue to rise.
:eusa_shhh:

this is an amusing post...............

for over three decades one party has stood against every aspect of developing energy independence...

but dont worry , we can conserve until a miracle of physics provides us with an cost effecient renewable energy source...................

A LOT of things can cause acute spikes or declines in the price of oil.

Gee-zeus! people, do you all just forget everything you already know in order to take your partisan positions on this board?

You must because I know damned well most of you aren't fucking retarded.

true. Some are completely retarded.

you appear to be correct.

Bush Lifts Drilling Moratorium, Prodding Congress - NYTimes.com
July 14, 2008
President Bush lifted a presidential moratorium on drilling for oil and natural gas on the Outer Continental Shelf on Monday, hoping to prod Congress to act to clear the way for exploration along the country’s coastline in response to soaring energy prices.

HISTORY OF CRUDE OIL PRICES
January $84.70
February $86.64
March $96.87
April $104.31
May $117.40
June $126.33
July $126.16
August $108.46
September $96.13
October $68.50
November $49.29
December $32.94
the biggest reason that prices feel so quickly, is that inventory level unexpected rose in the gulf. this caused speculators to panic that they price would drop and they dumped their "floating inventory" causing the price of oil to plummet back to earth. this is what the free market system does, it cause fluctuations in price whether that is determined by real world factors or by investors and speculators.

Forum List

Back