Blaming Politicians For the Price of Gas?

Obamerican

Aug 21, 2010
While I will be one of the first to say that politicians are bottom feeders a simple fact needs to be said:

In 1962 if you made $1.00 an hour and gas was .25 a gallon it took one hour of work to buy 4 gallons of gas.
In 2012 if you make $16.00 an hour and gas was $4.00 a gallon it would take one one hour to buy 4 gallons of gas.

In 1962 most cars got 8-12 MPG
In 2012 most cars get 20-35 MPG

Just saying............................

While I will be one of the first to say that politicians are bottom feeders a simple fact needs to be said:

In 1962 if you made $1.00 an hour and gas was .25 a gallon it took one hour of work to buy 4 gallons of gas.
In 2012 if you make $16.00 an hour and gas was $4.00 a gallon it would take one one hour to buy 4 gallons of gas.

And how did you feel in 2008 when the Dems were beating up the Republicans for supposed high gas prices?

And how did you feel in 2008 when the Dems were beating up the Republicans for supposed high gas prices?
Same thing. As a rule Presidents don't have much control over the price of gas unless they add some huge tax to it.

Yah well... Obama loves the middle east it seems..

-----------------------:eusa_eh:

We’ll use the third week of January 2009 as a stand-in for Jan. 20, the day Obama was sworn in.

Here are the average prices in several categories that week, rounded to the nearest cent:

• Conventional retail gasoline, regular unleaded, national average: $1.83 per gallon

• Reformulated retail gasoline, regular unleaded, national average: $1.88 per gallon

• Gasoline retail prices, regular unleaded, national city average: $1.79

PolitiFact | Michele Bachmann says gasoline cost $1.79 a gallon when Barack Obama took office

I lay the gasoline high prices at the feet of Democrat policies...

Rightfully so to some degree. Politics controls regulations that effect prices. Politics controls monetary policy that devalues our dollar and makes oil more expensive. Oil prices are complex, and a lot of it is the market. But one would be an idiot to say that gov't policies have no effect on prices.
Gas going to 4.50-5 just before election day wouldn't help Obama much.

Yet hardly anyone complained about the price of gas in 1962. Why are we so upset about it now when, figuring in inflation, the price is still the same?

True.foxnews now reporting obama fighting anything and everything to halt domestic oil production to help lower the gas prices, so i am partly wrong. OPEC is setting the oil price,and obamas doing NOTHING HERE TO REMEDY THE PROBLEM with a domestic solution.

I had a similar conversation with a barber several months ago. He was talking about the housing market collapse, and how the real problems in our economy are more of the larger purchase items, things like housing prices, automobiles, and furniture, which have increased dramatically in comparison to purchasing power of wages. He told me the story about how he and his wife bought their first home for a year's worth of income. Of course, nowadays that's not going to be possible for most people. A car could be bought for about two or three months worth of income. That's not really possible nowadays either. He also mentioned groceries, which of course aren't large items, but mentioned how he and his wife could eat for the month on a day's wages. Good luck with that nowadays.

In 1962 the minimum wage was $1.15, a little under 5 gallons of gas
In 2012 the minimum wage is $7.25, significantly under 2 gallons of gas

Just saying..........................

It's simple. Speculators detemine the Market Tolerance Price level. Execs and Marketing spin it and test it to see if it will fly. Bush had nothing to do with high gas prices. Neither does Obama. They're not O&G Execs.
But the public will believe what it wants.

. As a rule Presidents don't have much control over the price of gas unless they add some huge tax to it.

The Presidents of the US are DIRECTLY -- TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE for the price of gas.

The US presidents have been completely and totally hostile to oil producers like Iraq, Iran Venezuela...

The US is supposed to be NEUTRAL in foreign affairs, instead we have a foreign policy which favors Israel over the interests of Americans;

Thirdly, the President has allowed enviro-nazis to take control of domestic oil exploration and development.

And so it fucking goes.

And we're just responding...

The median hourly wage in this nation is $10.24.

Table A-1. Current and real (constant 1982-1984 dollars) earnings for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls, seasonally adjusted

It's simple. Speculators detemine the Market Tolerance Price level. Execs and Marketing spin it and test it to see if it will fly. Bush had nothing to do with high gas prices. Neither does Obama. They're not O&G Execs.
But the public will believe what it wants.

Yup. Speculators drive gas prices.

Of course Barry and his green agenda isn't helping things either.

Amazing. What other essential commodity is priced for daily consumption based on the future trading value of a barrell of oil?

And you got to love those ignorant people who just think that if only we drilled all of our own oil, prices would somehow magically drop. Give me a fucking break. So you all think that the oil companies would just, out of the goodness of their hearts, sell that oil to us Americans and give us a big ole price break.
Stupid is what that belief is.

And if the oil companies claim supply and demand is the situation driving retail prices higher, how is it that, soon, oil companies will be posting record profits. Again. For like the past 6 years, record after record.

If your cost to acquire and produce a product is rising (as they say) then you wouldn't be able to post record profits all the time.

We are being screwed by the oil companies. Because they can. And because the repubs in Congress have their backs. But Obama has little to do with it.

BTW, Bush did have a lot of influence on gas prices during his term. Invading Iraq deifinitely drove the market speculation much higher. And drove record profits. Which were the objective anyway. Plan worked well. For them.

Forum List

Back