Blaming Politicians For the Price of Gas?

Jan 2009, gas was 1.83/gallon, crude oil was 33.07/barrel.

Jan 2010, gas was 2.62/gallon, crude oil was 69.85/barrel.

Jan 2011, gas was 3.10/gallon, crude oil was 84.47/barrel.

Jan 2012, gas was 3.35/gallon, crude oil was 97.22/barrel.

Gas prices have risen 83% since Obama took office, while crude has risen 194%.

No idea whose fault it is, just throwing numbers out there.

For Comparison...

Jan 2005, gas was 1.80/gallon, crude oil was 42.21/barrel

Jan 2006, gas was 2.10/gallon, crude oil was 58.30/barrel

Jan 2007, gas was 2.20/gallon, crude oil was 46.53/barrel

Jan 2008, gas was 3.10/gallon, crude oil was 84.70/barrel

During Bush's 2nd term, gas prices rose 72%, while crude oil rose 101%

However, you'll notice that the increase in gas prices was lower under Bush, as was the increase of crude. I suppose there could be policy differences and situational difference affecting both numbers, but it's possible no one was complaining under Bush, because the changes were not as severe.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Jan 2009, gas was 1.83/gallon, crude oil was 33.07/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 6% of the price per barrel.

Jan 2010, gas was 2.62/gallon, crude oil was 69.85/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 4% of the price per barrel.

Jan 2011, gas was 3.10/gallon, crude oil was 84.47/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 4% of the price per barrel.

Jan 2012, gas was 3.35/gallon, crude oil was 97.22/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 3.4% of the price per barrel.

oil is a commodity that is sold on the open market. it boggles my mind that the right blames Obama for not intervening in the free market, while claiming at the same time that the free market system is the best in world. pot meet kettle...

it was absurd. the government can not control gas prices.

Yes, indeed they do.

1) The US is at war with every oil producing country

2) The US will not allow domestic oil drilling

#1 is a lie. - we are not at war with Saudia Arabia

Saudi Arabia cuts oil sales to U.S., ups China

or the UAE

The United States imports minimal quantities of oil and gas from the UAE, given the geographic distances and complex shipping routes that separate the two nations.

#2 is a lie. - domestic oil drilling is at its highest level in history.

Obama Administration Imposes Seven-year Drilling Moratorium

Jan 2009, gas was 1.83/gallon, crude oil was 33.07/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 6% of the price per barrel.

Jan 2010, gas was 2.62/gallon, crude oil was 69.85/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 4% of the price per barrel.

Jan 2011, gas was 3.10/gallon, crude oil was 84.47/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 4% of the price per barrel.

Jan 2012, gas was 3.35/gallon, crude oil was 97.22/barrel, making the price per gallon equal to about 3.4% of the price per barrel.

oil is a commodity that is sold on the open market. it boggles my mind that the right blames Obama for not intervening in the free market, while claiming at the same time that the free market system is the best in world. pot meet kettle...

you must have missed this part...

No idea whose fault it is, just throwing numbers out there

[/B]

Yes, indeed they do.

1) The US is at war with every oil producing country

2) The US will not allow domestic oil drilling

#1 is a lie. - we are not at war with Saudia Arabia

Saudi Arabia cuts oil sales to U.S., ups China

or the UAE

The United States imports minimal quantities of oil and gas from the UAE, given the geographic distances and complex shipping routes that separate the two nations.

#2 is a lie. - domestic oil drilling is at its highest level in history.

Obama Administration Imposes Seven-year Drilling Moratorium

you stated 2 things you believed to be were facts. i did simply dispelled them as false.

as for the moratorium on drilling, your article isnt quite all that factual: The 7 year ban is on the eastern gulf and was a direct result of the BP oil spill.

Obama bans eastern Gulf drilling for 7 years - CNN

Salazar said the seven-year ban is being imposed as a result of lessons learned from the April 20 explosion of BP's Deepwater Horizon drilling rig in the Gulf, which killed 11 people and triggered one of the worst environmental disasters in U.S. history.
An estimated 4.9 million barrels (206 million gallons) of oil gushed into the Gulf before the broken well, 5,000 feet below the surface, was capped.Rep. Ed Markey, one of the most vocal BP critics in Congress, said the announcement shows the White House "has heeded the lessons of the BP disaster."
"This plan will move America forward on a prudent path until we can ensure that when an oil company drills ultra-deep, it is ultra-safe," the Massachusetts Democrat said. "Opening up wide swaths of our coasts to oil drilling before we put the proper regulatory measures in place would have been a mistake."
Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Florida, said it is "good the president is listening to the people of Florida."
The administration lifted a six-month moratorium on deep-water oil drilling in October.

im simply responding to your post. i made an observation and an opinion based on that. do you disagree with my statement?

Yup. Speculators drive gas prices.

Of course Barry and his green agenda isn't helping things either.

Oh I agree. Obama is doing a terrible job when it comes to oil. But let's look at common sense.
Would Big Oil use any excuse to maximize it's profits? Duh.
Did they do exactly that in '08? Yup.
Have they done this repeatedly to desensitize their consumer base to higher proces, thus increasing profits? Of course.

But it's all Obama's fault! Or Bush's!

Partisan conditioning...

Obama I'm sure is hoping gas prices increases as he is looking for a reason to push more alternative forms of green energy. So have an oil moritorium in the gulf, axe the Keystone Pipeline, throw in a confrontation in Iran, and the conditions become perfect to boost government incentives with the Chevy Volt.

Unfortunately, Obama's tunnel vision desire for green energy will also hurt the economy, as the cost of food, goods and services, commercial travel, anything attched to fuel wil go up. People will conserve to meet with the rising costs, cancel vacations, stay close to home, with everything attached to those changes in behavior witnessing a slowdown of business sales. This "game of politics" of Obama hopefully will backfire, as he is obviously very incapable of seeing the consequences behind his radical policies, and the effects they will do to the lives of the American people that must suffer from its results.

Last edited:
While I will be one of the first to say that politicians are bottom feeders a simple fact needs to be said:

In 1962 if you made $1.00 an hour and gas was .25 a gallon it took one hour of work to buy 4 gallons of gas.
In 2012 if you make $16.00 an hour and gas was $4.00 a gallon it would take one one hour to buy 4 gallons of gas.

In 1962 most cars got 8-12 MPG
In 2012 most cars get 20-35 MPG

Just saying............................

And how did you feel in 2008 when the Dems were beating up the Republicans for supposed high gas prices?
it was absurd. the government can not control gas prices.

The government can always add more costs through increased regulations, taxes, and set policies that creates a harsher environment to drill for oil in the United States. Just as the opposite is also true of a President who welcomes drilling, a Keystone pipeline, and encourages more refining of oil to be used for consumers in this country. A President pushing for a green political agenda is not going to welcome efforts that reduce gas prices.

Yet hardly anyone complained about the price of gas in 1962. Why are we so upset about it now when, figuring in inflation, the price is still the same?

Hint: check out average salary in 1960 and 2012; adjust for inflation. Gas was much less expensive in 1960.

Yup. Speculators drive gas prices.

Of course Barry and his green agenda isn't helping things either.

Oh I agree. Obama is doing a terrible job when it comes to oil. But let's look at common sense.
Would Big Oil use any excuse to maximize it's profits? Duh.
Did they do exactly that in '08? Yup.
Have they done this repeatedly to desensitize their consumer base to higher proces, thus increasing profits? Of course.

But it's all Obama's fault! Or Bush's!

Partisan conditioning...

Obama I'm sure is hoping gas prices increases as he is looking for a reason to push more alternative forms of green energy. So have an oil moritorium in the gulf, axe the Keystone Pipeline, throw in a confrontation in Iran, and the conditions become perfect to boost government incentives with the Chevy Volt.

Unfortunately, Obama's tunnel vision desire for green energy will also hurt the economy, as the cost of food, goods and services, commercial travel, anything attched to fuel wil go up. People will conserve to meet with the rising costs, cancel vacations, stay close to home, with everything attached to those changes in behavior witnessing a slowdown of business sales. This "game of politics" of Obama hopefully will backfire, as he is obviously very incapable of seeing the consequences behind his radical policies, and the effects they will do to the lives of the American people that must suffer from its results.
do some quick research on the oil moratrium (which only applies to eastern gulf) as well as on the keystone pipeline (today's cnn article is good) and you will see that you are in fact wrong in your assessment of the situation.

why exactly are you against green technology? think of it this way, if you had solar panels on your roof due to a government mandate that all new homes built required solar panels, your electricity would be reduced to around $10-$55 per month based on the average consumption of american household. i have several friends and family who actually have panels and they produce more electricity than they consume during the day, thus they actually get credit from the utility and when they are on the grid at night, these costs are offset and they effective pay 0 for electricity. how much money would you save at that point? $100 per month? $200 per month? $400 per month?

im simply responding to your post. i made an observation and an opinion based on that. do you disagree with my statement?

I was commenting on your comment about 'the right' blaming Obama for not interfering in the free market. I'm on the right, and I haven't got the slightest idea who to blame. Could Obama policies be playing a part in the increases? Yup. Could Bush policies have when he was in? Yup.

I don't care what the persons party is... I'll blame whomever I feel or can prove is at fault, for whatever. In this case, I simply don't know.

Quick question........why is it that because there is a chance of gas hitting 4.00/gal, that everyone is blaming Obama?

How come they never blamed Jr. back in 2008 when the same thing happened?

The only reason that gas is so high now compared to when Obama took office, is that gas prices started to drop in Jan 2009.

Who didn't blame Bush?

Gas Hits $4 a Gallon; Bush "Hadn't Heard That" | Crooks and Liars

The problem is that everyone (in the GOP) is currently blaming Obama for the high gas prices.

Why don't they remember what happened under Jr.?

Quick question........why is it that because there is a chance of gas hitting 4.00/gal, that everyone is blaming Obama?

How come they never blamed Jr. back in 2008 when the same thing happened?

The only reason that gas is so high now compared to when Obama took office, is that gas prices started to drop in Jan 2009.

Who didn't blame Bush?

Gas Hits $4 a Gallon; Bush "Hadn't Heard That" | Crooks and Liars

The problem is that everyone (in the GOP) is currently blaming Obama for the high gas prices.

Why don't they remember what happened under Jr.?

Did you just read my post?

Yet W was blamed, and then when he repealed the presidential drilling moritorium, the prices of oil AND gas plummetted in weeks to where they should have been.

Strange.

Yet W was blamed, and then when he repealed the presidential drilling moritorium, the prices of oil AND gas plummetted in weeks to where they should have been.

Strange.

By whom?

While I will be one of the first to say that politicians are bottom feeders a simple fact needs to be said:

In 1962 if you made $1.00 an hour and gas was .25 a gallon it took one hour of work to buy 4 gallons of gas.
In 2012 if you make $16.00 an hour and gas was $4.00 a gallon it would take one one hour to buy 4 gallons of gas.

In 1962 most cars got 8-12 MPG
In 2012 most cars get 20-35 MPG

Just saying............................

And how did you feel in 2008 when the Dems were beating up the Republicans for supposed high gas prices?
Same thing. As a rule Presidents don't have much control over the price of gas unless they add some huge tax to it.

Or start wars in Oil ladin countries by lying to the American people and then let the oil flow who knows where while the gallon counters on the pumps are broken and then NEVER fixed so NO ONE knows how much oil is flowing and to where.

How much oil pumped out of Iraq during the time the Bush team was in there?

No one will ever know, that st the way they wanted it

Forum List

Back