Bible criticism

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers.

A circle is not a sphere. The bible probably means a flat circular disk.
Really? Where did you get your Divinity degree? Are you fluent in the original languages the Bible was written in? If not, then you should refrain from commenting on that which you are completely ignorant of.

He sits enthroned above the circle of the earth, and its people are like grasshoppers.

Really? Where did you get your Divinity degree? Are you fluent in the original languages the Bible was written in? If not, then you should refrain from commenting on that which you are completely ignorant of.

According to Jeremiah (the poster) the king James translation is the perfectly preserved word of God, so I don't need to study Aramaic and Hebrew to know what the bible says.

According to Jeremiah (the poster) the king James translation is the perfectly preserved word of God, so I don't need to study Aramaic and Hebrew to know what the bible says.
Of course not. You have the conviction of invincible ignorance.

Your selective tunnel vision simply shows why you are so uninformed.
The Hebrew word for “circle” can also mean “round” or “sphere.”

You were proven wrong about your beliefs of the Bible, now are you interested in truth or not?

The King James translation is perfect? Again more ignorance.

The King James translation is perfect. If not then no translation is a standard. That means English speaking people can pick and choose which Bible they like. The English people can pick the Bible that best presents their own point view. The King James Bible and the New International Version have some vast differences.

Which English Bible is perfectly accurate? If none then I don't understand how anybody can be certain of anything. The only translation of which I am aware that is accused of being perfect is the King James Bible. If there is another then I would like to know about it.

Besides Dajjal didn't say the King James Bible was perfect. He said that Jeremiah said the King James Bible was perfect.

Last edited:
The epic of Gilgamesh is a fiction story

Let me see if I understand.

The Epic of Gilgamesh is fiction. The Epic of Gilgamesh is good.

The Bible is fiction. The Bible is bad.

What logic did you apply to come to that conclusion? All books that last 400 years or more are in the same category. Labeling ancient literature as defective in anyway is bold but stupid. There are reasons why some literature survive and most literature is forgotten. Do you care to take a stab at why that is? I'll give you a hint, it probably isn't because they suck.

The epic of Gilgamesh survived because it was written on stone tablets long before the bible.

Lots of books were written on stones. Most of them we will never read. It was a lot of work to preserve works of literature in ancient times. There had to be some motivation to protect them. Again. Nobody is going to preserve the stuff that sucks.

The epic of Gilgamesh is a fiction story

Let me see if I understand.

The Epic of Gilgamesh is fiction. The Epic of Gilgamesh is good.

The Bible is fiction. The Bible is bad.

What logic did you apply to come to that conclusion? All books that last 400 years or more are in the same category. Labeling ancient literature as defective in anyway is bold but stupid. There are reasons why some literature survive and most literature is forgotten. Do you care to take a stab at why that is? I'll give you a hint, it probably isn't because they suck.

The epic of Gilgamesh survived because it was written on stone tablets long before the bible.

Lots of books were written on stones. Most of them we will never read. It was a lot of work to preserve works of literature in ancient times. There had to be some motivation to protect them. Again. Nobody is going to preserve the stuff that sucks.
Sorry, but you speak from ignorance. I suggest you do some research. The scribes who copied the Bible were very dedicated. they took great pains to ensure accurate translations. plus we have copies from before the first century AD to compare any translation to. If you compare what we have now to the Dead Sea Scrolls, they are almost an exact match, plus the errors that do exist do not change the message one bit.

The King James translation is perfect. If not then no translation is a standard. That means English speaking people can pick and choose which Bible they like. The English people can pick the Bible that best presents their own point view. The King James Bible and the New International Version have some vast differences.

Which English Bible is perfectly accurate? If none then I don't understand how anybody can be certain of anything. The only translation of which I am aware that is accused of being perfect is the King James Bible. If there is another then I would like to know about it.

Besides Dajjal didn't say the King James Bible was perfect. He said that Jeremiah said the King James Bible was perfect.
The King James version is not the most accurate translation. It is, however, the most poetic. I believe that the New English Standard Bible is one of the most accurate. There is also a literal translation. It strives for accuracy over literary style. I don't care for it myself. But a good Bible dictionary can overcome any translation errors. There is also the Comparative Study Bible. It contains the original languages, if you can read them, plus three of the most popular translations side by side. I think that would be your best bet.

It contains the original languages,

You do realize that very few people speak Greek and Hebrew, don't you? If God didn't give the English speaking people a Bible then we are at the mercy of any con artist that says, "The Greek says this or the Hebrew says that."

That's a huge problem. If that is how it works then we should all just throw our Bibles in the trash and wait for some slick talking con artist to explain it to us.

I passionately hate hearing preachers refer to the original language. It is an obvious con to me.

You do realize that very few people speak Greek and Hebrew, don't you? If God didn't give the English speaking people a Bible then we are at the mercy of any con artist that says, "The Greek says this or the Hebrew says that."

That's a huge problem. If that is how it works then we should all just throw our Bibles in the trash and wait for some slick talking con artist to explain it to us.

I passionately hate hearing preachers refer to the original language. It is an obvious con to me.
Has anyone discredited any of the people who can read it? The fact that so many agree, and no one has called foul, should tell you it's legit. You should also realize that for many, Biblical translation is a holy duty. They would consider it a mortal sin to lie about or change one letter of Scripture. Sorry. But your theory just doesn't pass the sniff test. BTW. There is nothing preventing you, or anyone, from learning to read those languages. Is there?

It was a lot of work to preserve works of literature in ancient times. There had to be some motivation to protect them. Again. Nobody is going to preserve the stuff that sucks.

The scribes who copied the Bible were very dedicated. they took great pains to ensure accurate translations.

Are you talking to me?
Are you listening? :)

I agree. The scribes who copied the Bible were very dedicated. They took great pains to copy it. That was the job of a scribe.

My point is that exceptional books were copied. Excellent books, great books, good books, above average books, average books, bad books and books that sucked were forgotten. Exceptional books survive 400 years or longer. This includes the Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Last edited:

Has anyone discredited any of the people who can read it? The fact that so many agree, and no one has called foul, should tell you it's legit. You should also realize that for many, Biblical translation is a holy duty. They would consider it a mortal sin to lie about or change one letter of Scripture. Sorry. But your theory just doesn't pass the sniff test. BTW. There is nothing preventing you, or anyone, from learning to read those languages. Is there?

There is lots of textual criticism in reference to Biblical translations. I don't follow you. Lots of translations have been discredited. The one that pops in my head is the Message by Eugene Peterson. Most English translations had one goal in mind and it had nothing to do with fulfilling a holy duty. Why are there over 100 English translations in the last 30 years? That's pretty much overkill. Don't you think?

There aren't any physical barriers to me learning Hebrew or Greek. However learning Hebrew and Greek doesn't give me the power to tell others they are wrong just because they don't know Hebrew or Greek. Surely you do see the opportunity for abuse.

Last edited:

There is lots of textual criticism in reference to Biblical translations. I don't follow you.
Give me one example.

It was a lot of work to preserve works of literature in ancient times. There had to be some motivation to protect them. Again. Nobody is going to preserve the stuff that sucks.

The scribes who copied the Bible were very dedicated. they took great pains to ensure accurate translations.

Are you talking to me?

I agree. The scribes who copied the Bible were very dedicated. They took great pains to copy it. That was the job of a scribe.

My point is that exceptional books were copied. Excellent books, great books, good books, above average books, average books, bad books and books that sucked were forgotten. This includes the Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh.
Now you're just being stupid.

There is lots of textual criticism in reference to Biblical translations. I don't follow you.
Give me one example.

Is Your Modern Translation Corrupt? - Christian Research Institute

The N. I. V. INFECTION

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Bible/NIV/why.html

Is The NIV Bible Corrupt?

Why Every Christian Should Criticize Corrupt Bible Versions

7 things you may not know about the King James Bible

The KJV & The Corrupt Bibles

Where did the King James Bible come from?

http://www.jesusisprecious.org/bible/nkjv/alexandrian_corrupt_source.html

Bible Matters--Is the King James Bible "Inerrant?"

Are you talking to me?

My point is that exceptional books were copied. Excellent books, great books, good books, above average books, average books, bad books and books that sucked were forgotten. This includes the Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Sorry I said that wrong. The Bible and the Epic of Gilgamesh were both exceptional books that were not forgotten. Only excellent books, great book, good books, above average books, average books, bad books and books that sucked become forgotten. The Epic of Gilgamesh and the Bible are still here. They are both exceptional books.

Are you talking to me?

I corrected that post. Sorry about the confusion.

Forum List

Back