atheist and christmas

froggy

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2009
what do they tell their children of santa claus and why they're celebrating christmas.

what do they tell their children of santa claus and why they're celebrating christmas.

do you know any atheists that celebrate christmas...christmas started off as a pagan holiday that was co-opted by the religious crowd....neither santa or christmas trees or the concept of giving gifts is of christian origin....

I know several and I consider it extremely hypocritical. The should celebrate festivus or invent their own damn holiday. I've actually heard people say that "Christ" has nothing to do with Christmas.

You mean they shouldn't steal a holiday from a religion that stole it from another religion because that would be like.... stealing? :eusa_think:

do you know any atheists that celebrate christmas...christmas started off as a pagan holiday that was co-opted by the religious crowd....neither santa or christmas trees or the concept of giving gifts is of christian origin....

so your saying they don't exchange gifts or buy their children presents.

Does it bother you if they do?

For the seemingly ignorant and/or oblivious...

Yule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yule or Yule-tide is a winter festival that was initially celebrated by the historical Germanic peoples as a pagan religious festival, though it was later absorbed into, and equated with, the Christian festival of Christmas.

Does it bother you if they do?

would they be hypocrites if they did, what message does the child get there?

Hey chanel,

The fact that you equate atheism with paganism betrays your fundamental and profound ignorance of the topic under discussion.

Enjoy knowing that. :thup:

Something tells me the Christians didn't steal the name. Just a hunch.

Why don't the atheists just invent a commercialized gift giving day in March or something? Paganfest?

All I can think of for Paganfest is Dan Aykroyd and Tom Hanks in Dragnet. :D

dragnet.jpg

Would an atheist celebrating Christmas really dilute the meaning of Christmas for anyone? I mean would that atheist celebration be more harmful than "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol"?

Are we going to have to purify the true meaning of Christmas the way teabaggers are trying to purify the Republican party?

Hey chanel,

The fact that you equate atheism with paganism betrays your fundamental and profound ignorance of the topic under discussion.

Enjoy knowing that. :thup:

Don't you be worryin about my profound ignerns mani. Manu was the one who said the origin of the holiday was pagan.

Sorry if you don't care for my attempt at humor. Try the ignore button.

Look, it's pretty simple. When a Christian accuses an atheist of being a hypocrite for celebrating Christmas, it's ironic as fuck considering that 90% of the customs associated with Christmas are not Christian in origin.

Is that really a difficult concept to grasp?

Why do you guys care anyway. The "real" Christians live in the Middle East.

American Christians think Jesus looked like this:

2350212157_81a88a9e24.jpg

If he ever existed, he probably looked more like this:

Orthodox+Christians+Hold+Baptism+Jordan+River+-ZNq6TAGIHdl.jpg

or like this:

jesus_bbc.jpg

or even like this:

6a00e008c6b4e588340120a59d87c4970c-pi

Last edited by a moderator:
Something tells me the Christians didn't steal the name. Just a hunch.

Why don't the atheists just invent a commercialized gift giving day in March or something? Paganfest?

Kwanzaa comes to mind as a made up holiday, even if it wasn't atheists that invented it.

In my family and most others - Christmas is a celebration of Jesus's birthday. That is why it is called "Christmas". "How" it is celebrated varies from family to family and culture to culture.

If atheists want to put up a tree and buy their kids a bunch of shit they don't need, then by all means do so. But call it "shitfest".

Is that such a difficult concept to understand?

In my family and most others - Christmas is a celebration of Jesus's birthday. That is why it is called "Christmas". "How" it is celebrated varies from family to family and culture to culture.

If atheists want to put up a tree and buy their kids a bunch of shit they don't need, then by all means do so. But call it "shitfest".

Is that such a difficult concept to understand?

How very Christian of you. :thup:

Forum List

Back