atheist and christmas

My personal take on this type of thing, with my children when I have them (will probably have a wife that hates me for it):

1) I won't tell my kids santa is real, I dont want to lie to them
2) Same with easter bunny
3) Same with tooth fairy.

I dont want my kids to learn about deception and lies from me or my wife.

should be fun when they ask you where babies come from.....or why does mommy not have a penis....

Also note, atheists are not pagans ... two very different people, and there are a lot of different pagans ... considering pagan is anyone who does not follow an organized religion. Even many christian followers are considered pagan.

Something tells me the Christians didn't steal the name. Just a hunch.

Why don't the atheists just invent a commercialized gift giving day in March or something? Paganfest?

No, they just changed it to lie and try to con others into their religion. ;)

ha ha ha you very funny, you make me laugh, i keep you around, you funny

Did you not read the links posted by someone earlier in the thread. :eusa_eh:

What's so hard about telling children that Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birthday? You don't have to believe he was the son of God, but he did exist, and has had a profound influence on the world. My children know all about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, and a whole slew of other holidays. But we don't celebrate them. If you are to celebrate Christmas, at least give the kids a reason. That's all I'm sayin...

What's so hard about telling children that Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birthday? You don't have to believe he was the son of God, but he did exist, and has had a profound influence on the world. My children know all about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa, and a whole slew of other holidays. But we don't celebrate them. If you are to celebrate Christmas, at least give the kids a reason. That's all I'm sayin...

Because it isn't ... it's a holiday that was a bunch of holidays smashed into one.

My personal take on this type of thing, with my children when I have them (will probably have a wife that hates me for it):

I inspect homes for my county. In December, when I encounter kids in the house, I tell them I work for Santa. I make up the "who's been naughty/nice" list. I kinda look like Santa with a full white beard and I tend to wear more red around the holidays.

I ask them three questions: 1) When it's suppertime and you look at your plate to find a big spoonful of lima beans, do you eat them all up, or do you push them around with your fork and fake it?

2) At bedtime, do you go straight to bed when Mom and/or Dad says so, or do you want to stay up and see what's going on?

3) Have you ever taken a toy from another kid just to make them mad?

Kids get a big kick out of it, as do I. I don't think I'm deceiving them or teasing them terribly.

If your children are in the public school system, they obviously know about the fake made up holiday known as Kwanzaa, schools do a good job of sharing that one.

I inspect homes for my county. In December, when I encounter kids in the house, I tell them I work for Santa. I make up the "who's been naughty/nice" list. I kinda look like Santa with a full white beard and I tend to wear more red around the holidays.

I ask them three questions: 1) When it's suppertime and you look at your plate to find a big spoonful of lima beans, do you eat them all up, or do you push them around with your fork and fake it?

2) At bedtime, do you go straight to bed when Mom and/or Dad says so, or do you want to stay up and see what's going on?

Kids get a big kick out of it, as do I. I don't think I'm deceiving them or teasing them terribly.

It would depend on the morailty and nature of the child, though rare, there are those of us who felt extremely betrayed when we learned we were lied to. ;)

Who would you rather they learn it from?

Oh, and good luck with your no Santa Claus plans. :rofl:

I would rather they learn its not acceptable behavior and I like to lead by example. "JR Lying is bad" "But you told me santa was real dad"

Why good luck as if it would be hard?

It would depend on the morailty and nature of the child, though rare, there are those of us who felt extremely betrayed when we learned we were lied to. ;)
I give kids credit for being kids. Cynicism is an adult trait.

I give kids credit for being kids. Cynicism is an adult trait.

Not cynicism ... it was being told "lies are bad" then finding out you were lied to ... it does hurt some people even at a very young age. As I said, it depends on the person. My mother tried to placate me by saying the "some lies are good" bullshit ... that just pushed me further from her, my atheist father however just simply said "all lies are bad and we were wrong for lying to you" ... thank the true gods my father was a good person. ;)

Forum List

Back