Are people basically good?

Are people basically good?

• yes

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • no

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • I'm too incapable of rational thought to give a yes or no.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It seems to me that the existence of a moral law makes some people uncomfortable.

And for good reason too.
So "don't take what's not yours", I might see something as mine, and you see it as yours, and I take it before you do. So who decides whose it actually was? And what are the consequences of taking that something?
The moral law makes you nervous.
Can't answer my questions?
Not my job to spoon feed you.

It seems to me that the existence of a moral law makes some people uncomfortable.

And for good reason too.
So "don't take what's not yours", I might see something as mine, and you see it as yours, and I take it before you do. So who decides whose it actually was? And what are the consequences of taking that something?
You're the one that brought up the moral law. Now you won't defend your views, or even explain it. You run and hide. Translation: you have nothing, as usual.

And for good reason too.
You're the one that brought up the moral law. Now you won't defend your views, or even explain it. You run and hide. Translation: you have nothing, as usual.
I’m not the one the moral law makes nervous.

All you have is "don't take things for others". In nature, animals eat other animals' eggs to survive. Is that morally wrong? Why did god make it so?

All you have is "don't take things for others". In nature, animals eat other animals' eggs to survive. Is that morally wrong? Why did god make it so?
No wonder the moral law makes you so nervous. You don’t even understand what it is

No wonder the moral law makes you so nervous. You don’t even understand what it is
So explain it to me. :popcorn:

I have. Many times.

I have. Many times.
It's ok, I understand. :cryhug_1_:

I have. Many times.
If that were true you wouldn’t keep asking the same questions over and over.

I've quoted this before on this board, so excuse me for repeating myself, but it is one my emotional favorites because there is nothing more human than hope.

In this broad Earth of ours,
Amid the measureless grossness and the slag, 5
Enclosed and safe within its central heart,
Nestles the seed Perfection.

By every life a share, or more or less,
None born but it is born—conceal’d or unconceal’d, the seed is waiting.

When it comes down to it, the flip side of grossness and slag is perfection, so I don't have to quibble with it, but I think Whitman meant something else, something closer to what Ding is saying. When I put my mind to it, I have to ask, what is perfection? Sez who?

The perfect splitting of the atom that led to Little Boy?

Ding says all humans are born recognizing the virtue of getting along. So does Ricechickie. Where that concept of virtue comes from seems to be the catch.

So ding , do you believe it is a universal truth beyond the human mind because it is universally recognized and worked toward? If it were a universal truth that it is born in us to follow, wouldn't we all be working toward it a little harder than we seem to do? If it were universal and immutable and inborn, it would be more like thirst or hunger, wouldn't it, something we automatically act on in our daily lives much more often?
I believe we are evolving towards it because it is the logical conclusion. Whether we get there as a people or an individual remains to be seen. But I do believe intelligence exists outside the material world and that is why we are drawn to it.
it is the logical conclusion.
It is the logical conclusion if the survival of the human race is what you're aiming for, but who said our survival is the desired outcome for any but us?
I didn't say anything about the survival of the human race.

The logical conclusion is the continued evolution of consciousness until it makes the next evolutionary leap.

You are familiar with the stages of the evolution of of time and space, right?
No. I did not know time and space evolved. Or is that a typo?

I am also not familiar with consciousness evolving. What will it leap to?
Nor are you really interested in finding out.

Let's not waste each others time, OK?
That's so not true. I have never heard of those things before and I am not mocking you. Yes, we disagree on that fundamental good thing, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious.
But if you don't want to bother explaining it, that's fine with me too.

I believe we are evolving towards it because it is the logical conclusion. Whether we get there as a people or an individual remains to be seen. But I do believe intelligence exists outside the material world and that is why we are drawn to it.
it is the logical conclusion.
It is the logical conclusion if the survival of the human race is what you're aiming for, but who said our survival is the desired outcome for any but us?
I didn't say anything about the survival of the human race.

The logical conclusion is the continued evolution of consciousness until it makes the next evolutionary leap.

You are familiar with the stages of the evolution of of time and space, right?
No. I did not know time and space evolved. Or is that a typo?

I am also not familiar with consciousness evolving. What will it leap to?
Nor are you really interested in finding out.

Let's not waste each others time, OK?
That's so not true. I have never heard of those things before and I am not mocking you. Yes, we disagree on that fundamental good thing, but that doesn't mean I'm not curious.
But if you don't want to bother explaining it, that's fine with me too.
Ok, do you believe that evolution is when something moves from a less advanced state to a more advanced state?

The day that Adam and Eve recognized that they were naked and covered themselves is akin to a child getting caught with his or her hand in the cookie jar and lying about it.. Innocence lost. And so the not so good side shows up.

So NO, people are not basically good. People are generally bad. If people were basically good why is there so damned much suffering in the world, so many people being murdered, so many people harming children???. And lets not place the blame on God, it is people that is the source of all the suffering around the world.

The day that Adam and Eve recognized that they were naked and covered themselves is akin to a child getting caught with his or her hand in the cookie jar and lying about it.. Innocence lost. And so the not so good side shows up.

So NO, people are not basically good. People are generally bad. If people were basically good why is there so damned much suffering in the world, so many people being murdered, so many people harming children???. And lets not place the blame on God, it is people that is the source of all the suffering around the world.
Try seeing the whole picture. You have to look at the good and the bad. Surely you don’t believe it is all bad, right?

I have. Many times.
Fuck are you dense, I mean I understand why you won’t answer, because you have nothing.

Try seeing the whole picture. You have to look at the good and the bad. Surely you don’t believe it is all bad, right?

We are all in need of a Savior. Yes we are all bad, we have to work at being good. We have to teach our kids to be good. I have never had to teach my kid to be bad. That comes naturally

To answer this question, we should first define what "good" means to each of us, and then answer.

What say you?
We have the chioce to be either, but we are not inherently good or bad.

Would you say that the Holocaust was bad or good or are you arguing that Hitler had his good points?
Hitler chose to be evil. Why did you bring him into it? What are you trying to say?

Hitler is used because he is seen as universally evil. Really no other figure compares.

However, Jesus is seen as universally good, yet he said not to call himself good which I find thoroughly fascinating.

That is why I brought these two up in conversation.

As for Hitler, as I pointed out, he thought that he was doing "good", did he not?

We are all in need of a Savior. Yes we are all bad, we have to work at being good. We have to teach our kids to be good. I have never had to teach my kid to be bad. That comes naturally
What does Genesis say God said after every step of Creation?

And he saw that it was good.

Evil is not extant. It only exists as the absence of good.

The poll doesn't have enough options. As C.S Lewis has written, we have two things inside of us. One is our human nature, which is typically selfish and not good. But then there's another thing, our conscience, or a knowledge of an objective standard of right and wrong. If people go by the latter, then their actions will be good. But that doesn't always happen. Also, I think it's possible for a person to mess up or destroy their conscience, to the point where it doesn't function at all.

I have. Many times.
Fuck are you dense, I mean I understand why you won’t answer, because you have nothing.
But I have answered you. Dozens of times. You keep repeating the same questions.

And you are calling me dense?

Forum List

Back