Zone1 Best Version of the Bible and Why?

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
Looking for opinions back by a fax and argument.

In researching this, I realize I had assumed for no good reason that most post king James versions were basically translations of the King James version. Then I saw a recommendation for a modern version that is taking more directly from the original group text. But that was just a brief search.

I always prefer to hear from experts. That’s why I come here to ask.

In researching this, I realize I had assumed for no good reason that most post king James versions were basically translations of the King James version. Then I saw a recommendation for a modern version that is taking more directly from the original group text. But that was just a brief search.

if the bible is the inspired word of god, how can they be different?

the vulgate, translated to english as duay-rhiemss is the official authentic translation approved by the pope.

king james , with its poetic language and familiarity, is still the one i like best.

Last edited:

If I want to learn how to speak like a Pilgrim then I use King James.

I prefer NIV.

1712085226034.jpeg

Best version because it has 40 flaps to open!

Last edited:
if the bible is the inspired word of god, how can they be different?
I’ve never heard any religion claim that the different modern versions, including King James is/are the literal word of God. That description is reserved for the “original autograph.“

It is circular logic, really. The version that was the literal word of God is the original literal word of God. But there is no book that We can read today that is actually the literal word of God.

How close a modern version comes to that literal version could be one criteria to judge it on.
the vulgate, translated to english as duay-rhiemss is the official authentic translation approved by the pope.

king james , with its poetic language and familiarity, is still the one i like best.
Thanks! I’ll check out that English version of the Vulgate.

Last edited:
The most literal translation from Hebrew to English is the ESV. KJV is just weird, nobody talked like that back then. Hebrew is NOT translated into the phrases and words used in KJV. Oh sure, it sounds more official, it is NOT the best version. It's also hard to understand. NIV is fine. God would rather you read a version YOU understand than to just recite lines in a book and not understand a damn thing you just read.

A few years ago, I was in an online discussion with someone that clearly stated that I needed to read the Hebrew version. After a few back and forths, I asked him if he could read Hebrew. At least he was honest enough to say no.

- better off writing your own ... too bad if you have read others already, write your own and see how close to the others your own would be.

the spoken religion of antiquity, start there.

- remember, all in the heavens are equal.

The most literal translation from Hebrew to English is the ESV. KJV is just weird, nobody talked like that back then. Hebrew is NOT translated into the phrases and words used in KJV. Oh sure, it sounds more official, it is NOT the best version. It's also hard to understand. NIV is fine. God would rather you read a version YOU understand than to just recite lines in a book and not understand a damn thing you just read.
That's where Strong's and the various commentaries come in. Once you're familiar with those old English words there's no problem.

is that trump bible the "pull my finger" translation?
I’ve never heard any religion claim that the different modern versions, including King James is/are the literal word of God. That description is reserved for the “original autograph.“

It is circular logic, really. The version that was the literal word of God is the original literal word of God. But there is no book that We can read today that is actually the literal word of God.

How close a modern version comes to that literal version could be one criteria to judge it on.

Thanks! I’ll check out that English version of the Vulgate.
isn't that "literal inspired word of god" repeated each week in every megachurch? i think swaggert is pounding on a king james, but it might be a phone book

That's where Strong's and the various commentaries come in. Once you're familiar with those old English words there's no problem.
the language of king james is described in catholic literature as "poetic," i can't disagree.

if the founders referred to a bible it was certainly (except for the maryland delegation) king james.

is that trump bible the "pull my finger" translation?

isn't that "literal inspired word of god" repeated each week in every megachurch? i think swaggert is pounding on a king james, but it might be a phone book
The literal inspired word of God is preached in all Christian churches. Some even understand it. ;)

Is Jimmy Swaggart still alive? I don’t pay any attention to those mega churches. The Christians I talk to sometimes have to be pinned down on what exactly they mean by “the Bible is a literal word of God. “

My Baptist preacher used to call the King James version “King Jimmy” to emphasize that the versions we can read are not the actual word of God.

The KJV is not perfect, but I view it as one of the best.

The great thing about it is, there is no modern day skew on the translation, and they did a great job doing it.

If you want the perfect translation, learn Hebrew/Greek

Expert scholars have a bad history of changing doctrine even when they are supposed experts in ancient languages. Take the Jehovah Witnesses and how they have butchered the Bible by even claiming to have known the exact date, year and time of the end of the world and were wrong not once, but 5 times at least. Rather than relying on so called scholars, I would rather rely on a couple of other reasons to choose one to primarily rely on. First, is there a Prophet on the earth or has been recently to know by communicating with the Lord to clear up misunderstandings of doctrine in the Biblical texts. Prophets do not need to be scholars with PhD's behind their names since they are messengers from God to the people of the world. Since there are no churches that have Prophets like this except for those who claim to be connected to Joseph Smith, that's where to start. In 1844, there were no planes for the apostles to get together quickly and go to the Lord to know who was to be his successor. Over time, the mantle fell on Brigham Young. All the people at that meeting saw the mantle of Joseph Smith fall on Brigham Young. So, the correct Church to follow from that point is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Salt lake City). This Church chooses to use the King James Version. However, there are many errors in it. Joseph Smith was given the knowledge by Christ to correct the errors in doctrine. We have those corrections as does the apostate Church of Jesus Christ, now called the Disciples of Christ. If you go online to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.org website, you can find the KJV of the Bible that will show the corrections he made as well. Second, with any study of scripture, everyone must study out the version of their Bibles and ask God if how they are interpreting the scriptures is true or not. The Holy Ghost will bear witness of the truth.

Is Jimmy Swaggart still alive? I don’t pay any attention to those mega churches. The Christians I talk to sometimes have to be pinned down on what exactly they mean by “the Bible is a literal word of God. “

My Baptist preacher used to call the King James version “King Jimmy” to emphasize that the versions we can read are not the actual word of God.
i consider the bible to be true in a more universal way than by parsing the words (which in aramaic don't have vowels and rely on context, which might have changed a little since the hellenistic era. )

the best answers that the wisest men of the iron age desert could tell their inquisitive children. but god's inspiration does not seem to have included public health or the germ theory of disease, or faster than light propulsion, and if god is working with with the biblical value of pi (3 even from the great basin in the book ofr kings. i'll get the verse if any sticklers out there) we may eventually feel a great disturbance in the force.

we really need to figure those things out for ourselves.

i consider the bible to be true in a more universal way than by parsing the words (which in aramaic don't have vowels and rely on context, which might have changed a little since the hellenistic era. )

the best answers that the wisest men of the iron age desert could tell their inquisitive children. but god's inspiration does not seem to have included public health or the germ theory of disease, or faster than light propulsion, and if god is working with with the biblical value of pi (3 even from the great basin in the book ofr kings. i'll get the verse if any sticklers out there) we may eventually feel a great disturbance in the force.

we really need to figure those things out for ourselves.
The Biblical value of Pi is not exactly 3. The statement said the circle altar is 10 cubits “around.” Meaning around 10 cubits. So, not exactly 3. And, the concept of the food laws are based on germs and other health conditions. Let’s remember that up to a few decades ago we pretty much did what they did back 2000 years ago with cleanliness. And, all the new advances in science and health should be looked upon as a blessing that God is allowing this in a small part of the world. Man is so prideful.

Forum List

Back