$27 Million to change NYC street signs

If this is for real, it's one of the dumbest ideas I have ever heard.

I'm sure some of group of eggheads somewhere did a study and found a few milliseconds of reaction time difference between all caps and intial caps.

From the article:

So is this a Bush era regulation?

Yep, I guess so. According to the link provided by XOTOXI:

So it's a safety consideration, adopted by the Bush Administration, and locales are given until 2018 to implement. Yep, the NY Post article was quite a bit of spin.

Don't matter if it is/was Bush, Clinton, Obama, Reagan, or motherfucking Lincoln.... it's still ridiculous

I beg to differ.

It would have been ridiculous if it was Bush, Clinton, Obama, or Reagan.

It would have been PREPOSTEROUS if it was Lincoln.

^That's A Material right there... :clap2:

:)

peace...

:eek: From Chanel's link:

"As a result, even numbered street signs will have to be replaced."

So what happens to even numbered streets? Renamed One Hundred Eighty-second Street? Something else altogether? Why not the uneven streets as well? I always thought numbers were numbers.

"Even numbered street signs . . . " meaning "also, numbered street signs will have to be replaced" rather than "even" as in "even and odd".

The current number font isn't the same as the new number font so they will change it.

"The new diminutive signs, which will also feature new reflective sheeting, may also reflect a kinder, gentler New York, she said. On the Internet, writing in all caps means you are shouting," she said. "Our new signs can quiet down, as well."

This woman is kidding, right? This will make a kinder NYC? Kinder drivers? This is just money gone to waste on another asinine project. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

The current street signs aren't PC. :eusa_shhh:

Last edited:
Each sign may cost $110 each, but you also have to add in the salary of the 5 person crew to change it. So your $27 million job is in reality will be more likely be $127 million.

So what if it does, not that you've shown that the total cost wasn't accounted. It's NY cities and states money. If they feel this is good use, that's up to them.

And it is that exact attitude that has bankrupted the city's, states, and this country. Spend as much money that you can.

So cities no longer have the right to upgrade their street signs? How do you know that there's not significant wear and tear on those out there now? Again, it's a local decision, and the NY voters can speak out if they believe it's frivolous. Do you think it's responsible to adhere to Bush's standards when they take on this task? Are you the arbiter of when a city can or can't replace something in their infrastructure?

BTW, you still haven't shown that the $110 cost per sign didn't include installation and contractor overhead.

So what happens to even numbered streets? Renamed One Hundred Eighty-second Street? Something else altogether? Why not the uneven streets as well? I always thought numbers were numbers.

Good point.

Are the numbered avenues excluded?

"Even numbers street signs . . . " meaning "also, number street signs will have to be replaced" rather than "even" as in "even and odd".

The current number font isn't the same as the new number font so they will change it.

"The new diminutive signs, which will also feature new reflective sheeting, may also reflect a kinder, gentler New York, she said. On the Internet, writing in all caps means you are shouting," she said. "Our new signs can quiet down, as well."

This woman is kidding, right? This will make a kinder NYC? Kinder drivers? This is just money gone to waste on another asinine project. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

The current street signs aren't PC. :eusa_shhh:

So the city should have a mish-mash of street signs. And only replace those with the Bush compliant regulations that aren't numbered streets?

So what if it does, not that you've shown that the total cost wasn't accounted. It's NY cities and states money. If they feel this is good use, that's up to them.

And it is that exact attitude that has bankrupted the city's, states, and this country. Spend as much money that you can.

So cities no longer have the right to upgrade their street signs? How do you know that there's not significant wear and tear on those out there now? Again, it's a local decision, and the NY voters can speak out if they believe it's frivolous. Do you think it's responsible to adhere to Bush's standards when they take on this task? Are you the arbiter of when a city can or can't replace something in their infrastructure?

BTW, you still haven't shown that the $110 cost per sign didn't include installation and contractor overhead.

Obviously you have no idea what union labor costs.

They are going to hire illegals to put them up.

And you're an expert on the cost estimate that the NY Post gave? Obviously, you're just guessing. I also doubt that you have any idea about how efficiently union workers do their jobs.

I'm sure the winning contractors probably will try, since they can get away with intimidating them out of reporting them for not paying scale. But that's OK according to the right wing, since many of them are claiming that employers shouldn't be held responsible.

And you're an expert on the cost estimate that the NY Post gave? Obviously, you're just guessing. I also doubt that you have any idea about how efficiently union workers do their jobs.

Lets see, you have 5 people watching one person work. I do know how INefficiently union workers .....dont work.

Wanna bet that this bright idea comes from 'research'. :lol: That's some more tax dollars well spent.
Hate research now too? We wouldn't ever want to conduct any research now, would we?

Actually, I work with researchers. I laugh at some of the shit that they 'research' though. Anyone with an inquiring mind should question the value of some research. I don't worship at the alter of academics, just because they're academics. I value intelligent research - but not all research is intelligent.
Could you cite some research which fails to measure up in your eyes?

Lets see, you have 5 people watching one person work. I do know how INefficiently union workers .....dont work.

Show where the $110 per sign cost estimate does not include labor and contractor overhead. Here's a clue. If NYC decided to contract to replace its street signs, they wouldn't line item that estimate to only show the material cost. It would be total cost.

You made that claim, don't you think it only right that you be able to back it up with something more substantial than speculation and what you think you've anecdotally saw?

Show where the $110 per sign cost estimate does not include labor and contractor overhead. Here's a clue. If NYC decided to contract to replace its street signs, they wouldn't line item that estimate to only show the material cost. It would be total cost.

You made that claim, don't you think it only right that you be able to back it up with something more substantial than speculation and what you think you've anecdotally saw?

Try reading compression. I quoted the claim and was responding, i did not make the claim.

You need real world education in how city's spend money and what things cost. Here is a clue, all city's line item costs.

They are too Busy Building the Fence to Keep themselves out with... :thup:

:)

peace...

Try reading compression. I quoted the claim and was responding, i did not make the claim.

You need real world education in how city's spend money and what things cost. Here is a clue, all city's line item costs.

Nothing wrong with my comprehension. Here's the claim you made:

Each sign may cost $110 each, but you also have to add in the salary of the 5 person crew to change it. So your $27 million job is in reality will be more likely be $127 million.

And have yet to show any substantiation of it.

Here is an even better clue.....

How about they leave perfectly good signs RIGHT WHERE THEY ARE? Think of the money that would be saved.

Novel idea INHO

Here is an even better clue.....

How about they leave perfectly good signs RIGHT WHERE THEY ARE? Think of the money that would be saved.

Novel idea INHO

Since I don't live in NYC, and haven't been there in a few years, I have no idea whether the existing signs are "perfectly good". In any case, that's a determination that is made by the people of New York and their local government.

Forum List

Back