$27 Million to change NYC street signs

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The Capital of the World is going lower-case.

Federal copy editors are demanding the city change its 250,900 street signs -- such as these for Perry Avenue in The Bronx -- from the all-caps style used for more than a century to ones that capitalize only the first letters.

Changing BROADWAY to Broadway will save lives, the Federal Highway Administration contends in its updated Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, citing improved readability.

At $110 per sign, it will also cost the state $27.6 million, city officials said.

The new regulations also require a change in font from the standard highway typeface to Clearview, which was specially developed for this purpose.

As a result, even numbered street signs will have to be replaced.

Read more: Under new federal guidelines all New York City street signs will have to be made lower-case - NYPOST.com

Our tax dollars at work. Good to see that the feds have their priorities in order. Maybe it will "save or create" a few more jobs. :evil:

*Shakes head*

Anyone ever hear of priorities? Seems the school system or roads or something of greater importance could use the $27 mill attention.

On its face it's ridiculous. And it may well be.

But the article is from the NY Post, so who knows what's left out of the story. *shrug*

Wanna bet that this bright idea comes from 'research'. :lol: That's some more tax dollars well spent.

But the article is from the NY Post, so who knows what's left out of the story. *shrug*
How can the leave something out when the subject is street signs and wasting millions to do so.

So you have no problem with govt wasting millions on shit because a story might have not told you that they are replacing the poles also.:cuckoo:

I like typography and I think the backstory on Clearview is interesting. But changing perfectly good signs at a cost of $27 Million is So Stupid It Should Hurt. Kudos to the Post for reporting on this.

Look for the old signs to show up on ebay if this happens, folks.

While they are redoing them, maybe they can add Braille...

Otherwise Blind Drivers won't Know where they are at either!

:)

peace...

I was thinking that also. May as well go for putting these signs in 3 or 4 different languages as well.

While they are redoing them, maybe they can add Braille...

Otherwise Blind Drivers won't Know where they are at either!

peace...

I was thinking that also. May as well go for putting these signs in 3 or 4 different languages as well.

Damn it... I Forgot about that also... I'm so Insensitive.

peace...

I like typography and I think the backstory on Clearview is interesting. But changing perfectly good signs at a cost of $27 Million is So Stupid It Should Hurt. Kudos to the Post for reporting on this.

I have no doubt that what they propose is probably easier on the eyes. I just think it's insane to focus on anything like this when states are all screaming for $$$ at the moment.

I have no doubt that what they propose is probably easier on the eyes. I just think it's insane to focus on anything like this when states are all screaming for $$$ at the moment.

It's Busy Work for Gumn't Employees... You Hateful Son-of-a-Bitch!

peace...

Just one more way we are being homogenized into insignificance. And one more way for a beurocrat to do a "take that" to show who is in charge.

That said, NYC would have wasted that 27 million on some other stupid, so more legible street signs is a mild positive. But that should really be their choice on how to spend the money.

England seems to do without, as does Russia. Of course, the way the english do streets, putting up a sign might do something awful like let you know where you are.

Wanna bet that this bright idea comes from 'research'. :lol: That's some more tax dollars well spent.

While I don't think that this is money well spent, I am a fan of fonts and road signage. I am a "Roadgeek".

Here are some interesting articles on Clearview:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/12/magazine/12fonts-t.html
Signs of Change: How a new font called “Clearview” is changing America’s highways: The Hardest Year

The studies...

http://tti.tamu.edu/documents/0-4984-S.pdf
http://tti.tamu.edu/documents/0-4984-1.pdf

And a video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l46fb_hn6yE]YouTube - Signs of Change: How the new Clearview font is changing America's highways[/ame]

xotoxi-albums-pictures-10-picture2309-xotoxi-highway-sign.jpg

More of what big government gives us....

You claim to be an army vet, and now doing IT in Maryland near the Potomac. Do you do government contracting? My guess is you've been sucking the government teat most of your life.

From the article:

The Highway Administration acknowledged that New York and other states "opposed the change, and suggested that the use of all upper-case letters remain an option," noting that "while the mixed-case words might be easier to read, the amount of improvement in legibility did not justify the cost."

To compensate for those concerns, in 2003, the administration allowed for a 15-year

phase-in period ending in 2018.

Read more: Under new federal guidelines all New York City street signs will have to be made lower-case - NYPOST.com

So is this a Bush era regulation?

Yep, I guess so. According to the link provided by XOTOXI:

The Federal Highway Administration granted Clearview interim approval in 2004, meaning that individual states are free to begin using it in all their road signs. More than 20 states have already adopted the typeface, replacing existing signs one by one as old ones wear out. Some places have been quicker to make the switch — much of Route I-80 in western Pennsylvania is marked by signs in Clearview, as are the roads around Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport — but it will very likely take decades for the rest of the country to finish the roadside makeover. It is a slow, almost imperceptible process. But eventually the entire country could be looking at Clearview.

So it's a safety consideration, adopted by the Bush Administration, and locales are given until 2018 to implement. Yep, the NY Post article was quite a bit of spin.

Everyone has their own little empire to protect.

Even though this was a Bush regulation, I don't see what's wrong with it. Creating standards is a clear constitutional responsibility. The regulation is meant to improve public safety and provide further compliance for those with vision problems. And 15 years was given to come into compliance. I doubt that there's many public street or road signs that would last more than 15 years anyway. I just don't see the big whoop?

Forum List

Back