$27 Million to change NYC street signs

Everyone has their own little empire to protect.

Even though this was a Bush regulation, I don't see what's wrong with it. Creating standards is a clear constitutional responsibility. The regulation is meant to improve public safety and provide further compliance for those with vision problems. And 15 years was given to come into compliance. I doubt that there's many public street or road signs that would last more than 15 years anyway. I just don't see the big whoop?

For me, the big whoop is timing. That money would be better used in other areas I am sure. Not being a NY resident I cannot point out particulars but I know here in Cleveland garbage pick up would be a better start since the city is so far behind. Many others to add to the list as well.

The Capital of the World is going lower-case.

Federal copy editors are demanding the city change its 250,900 street signs -- such as these for Perry Avenue in The Bronx -- from the all-caps style used for more than a century to ones that capitalize only the first letters.

Changing BROADWAY to Broadway will save lives, the Federal Highway Administration contends in its updated Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, citing improved readability.

At $110 per sign, it will also cost the state $27.6 million, city officials said.

The new regulations also require a change in font from the standard highway typeface to Clearview, which was specially developed for this purpose.

As a result, even numbered street signs will have to be replaced.

Read more: Under new federal guidelines all New York City street signs will have to be made lower-case - NYPOST.com

Our tax dollars at work. Good to see that the feds have their priorities in order. Maybe it will "save or create" a few more jobs. :evil:

That's the dumbest shit I've heard in a long time.

Everyone has their own little empire to protect.

Even though this was a Bush regulation, I don't see what's wrong with it. Creating standards is a clear constitutional responsibility. The regulation is meant to improve public safety and provide further compliance for those with vision problems. And 15 years was given to come into compliance. I doubt that there's many public street or road signs that would last more than 15 years anyway. I just don't see the big whoop?

For me, the big whoop is timing. That money would be better used in other areas I am sure. Not being a NY resident I cannot point out particulars but I know here in Cleveland garbage pick up would be a better start since the city is so far behind. Many others to add to the list as well.

What timing? Even the NY Post had hidden in their spin article, that the regulation was from 2003 and compliance time was 15 years. What's the problem? How often does Cleveland have to change their street signs? I'm sure that a 15 year life cycle is not unreasonable.

What timing? Even the NY Post had hidden in their spin article, that the regulation was from 2003 and compliance time was 15 years. What's the problem? How often does Cleveland have to change their street signs? I'm sure that a 15 year life cycle is not unreasonable.

Not sure how it works for you, but, in my house I like big throw rugs and I buy a new one about every 4 years or so. They are not really cheap. If it comes time to rplace a throw rug, but my roof is leaking, that money for the throw rug would easily slide toward the leaking roof fund without hesitation.

Federal copy editors are demanding the city change its 250,900 street signs -- such as these for Perry Avenue in The Bronx -- from the all-caps style used for more than a century to ones that capitalize only the first letters.

Changing BROADWAY to Broadway will save lives, the Federal Highway Administration contends in its updated Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, citing improved readability.

At $110 per sign, it will also cost the state $27.6 million, city officials said.

The new regulations also require a change in font from the standard highway typeface to Clearview, which was specially developed for this purpose.

Read more: Under new federal guidelines all New York City street signs will have to be made lower-case - NYPOST.com

Our tax dollars at work. Good to see that the feds have their priorities in order. Maybe it will "save or create" a few more jobs. :evil:

Each sign may cost $110 each, but you also have to add in the salary of the 5 person crew to change it. So your $27 million job is in reality will be more likely be $127 million.

Last edited:

While they are redoing them, maybe they can add Braille...

Otherwise Blind Drivers won't Know where they are at either!

:)

peace...

I was thinking that also. May as well go for putting these signs in 3 or 4 different languages as well.

Welcome to San Francisco... We have signs depending on the neighborhood in two languages.

On its face it's ridiculous. And it may well be.

But the article is from the NY Post, so who knows what's left out of the story. *shrug*

Wanna bet that this bright idea comes from 'research'. :lol: That's some more tax dollars well spent.
Hate research now too? We wouldn't ever want to conduct any research now, would we?

Not sure how it works for you, but, in my house I like big throw rugs and I buy a new one about every 4 years or so. They are not really cheap. If it comes time to rplace a throw rug, but my roof is leaking, that money for the throw rug would easily slide toward the leaking roof fund without hesitation.

OK, but that's not what's happening. Say you bought a new roof in 2003, and you knew it's going to last you 15 year. Would you not buy your new rug today, because you'd have to replace your roof within 8 years?

Oh, and according to the article, this is New York's money. I doubt that they'd be buying garbage trucks for Cleveland regardless. NYC's street signs may seem trite, but when you talk about signs on major highways, that's not something that one can ignore, except to the detriment of public safety.

More of what big government gives us....

You claim to be an army vet, and now doing IT in Maryland near the Potomac. Do you do government contracting? My guess is you've been sucking the government teat most of your life.

And as for your little rep comment of Try reading the article before running your mouth.... laughable

1) The article was read... and because of big government and power hungry politicians, you end up with little pet projects such as this

2) I have not been employed as a contractor, nor do I really aspire to be a contractor. but nice try, nimrod

From the article:

The Highway Administration acknowledged that New York and other states "opposed the change, and suggested that the use of all upper-case letters remain an option," noting that "while the mixed-case words might be easier to read, the amount of improvement in legibility did not justify the cost."

To compensate for those concerns, in 2003, the administration allowed for a 15-year

phase-in period ending in 2018.

So is this a Bush era regulation?

Yep, I guess so. According to the link provided by XOTOXI:

The Federal Highway Administration granted Clearview interim approval in 2004, meaning that individual states are free to begin using it in all their road signs. More than 20 states have already adopted the typeface, replacing existing signs one by one as old ones wear out. Some places have been quicker to make the switch — much of Route I-80 in western Pennsylvania is marked by signs in Clearview, as are the roads around Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport — but it will very likely take decades for the rest of the country to finish the roadside makeover. It is a slow, almost imperceptible process. But eventually the entire country could be looking at Clearview.

So it's a safety consideration, adopted by the Bush Administration, and locales are given until 2018 to implement. Yep, the NY Post article was quite a bit of spin.

Don't matter if it is/was Bush, Clinton, Obama, Reagan, or motherfucking Lincoln.... it's still ridiculous

Each sign may cost $110 each, but you also have to add in the salary of the 5 person crew to change it. So your $27 million job is in reality will be more likely be $127 million.

So what if it does, not that you've shown that the total cost wasn't accounted. It's NY cities and states money. If they feel this is good use, that's up to them.

From the article:

The Highway Administration acknowledged that New York and other states "opposed the change, and suggested that the use of all upper-case letters remain an option," noting that "while the mixed-case words might be easier to read, the amount of improvement in legibility did not justify the cost."

To compensate for those concerns, in 2003, the administration allowed for a 15-year

The Federal Highway Administration granted Clearview interim approval in 2004, meaning that individual states are free to begin using it in all their road signs. More than 20 states have already adopted the typeface, replacing existing signs one by one as old ones wear out. Some places have been quicker to make the switch — much of Route I-80 in western Pennsylvania is marked by signs in Clearview, as are the roads around Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport — but it will very likely take decades for the rest of the country to finish the roadside makeover. It is a slow, almost imperceptible process. But eventually the entire country could be looking at Clearview.
So it's a safety consideration, adopted by the Bush Administration, and locales are given until 2018 to implement. Yep, the NY Post article was quite a bit of spin.

Don't matter if it is/was Bush, Clinton, Obama, Reagan, or motherfucking Lincoln.... it's still ridiculous

I beg to differ.

It would have been ridiculous if it was Bush, Clinton, Obama, or Reagan.

It would have been PREPOSTEROUS if it was Lincoln.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
More of what big government gives us....

You claim to be an army vet, and now doing IT in Maryland near the Potomac. Do you do government contracting? My guess is you've been sucking the government teat most of your life.

And as for your little rep comment of Try reading the article before running your mouth.... laughable

1) The article was read... and because of big government and power hungry politicians, you end up with little pet projects such as this

So you're now an expert on whether the street signs in NYC are in need of replacing? What skin is it off your ass if that's how they want to spend their money?

2) I have not been employed as a contractor, nor do I really aspire to be a contractor. but nice try, nimrod

So you're a govie?

From the article:

So the government should get out of the business of managing and regulating standards? Brilliant. Let everyone decide what voltage things ought to be, or what Cobol ought to be, or what an ounce is.

OK, but that's not what's happening. Say you bought a new roof in 2003, and you knew it's going to last you 15 year. Would you not buy your new rug today, because you'd have to replace your roof within 8 years?
Oh, and according to the article, this is New York's money. I doubt that they'd be buying garbage trucks for Cleveland regardless. NYC's street signs may seem trite, but when you talk about signs on major highways, that's not something that one can ignore, except to the detriment of public safety.

Straw man

On its face it's ridiculous. And it may well be.

But the article is from the NY Post, so who knows what's left out of the story. *shrug*

Wanna bet that this bright idea comes from 'research'. :lol: That's some more tax dollars well spent.
Hate research now too? We wouldn't ever want to conduct any research now, would we?

Actually, I work with researchers. I laugh at some of the shit that they 'research' though. Anyone with an inquiring mind should question the value of some research. I don't worship at the alter of academics, just because they're academics. I value intelligent research - but not all research is intelligent.

Straw man

It was your hypothetical. All I did was put your analogy in proper context. Now why do you think New York should buy garbage trucks for Cleveland?

Actually, I work with researchers. I laugh at some of the shit that they 'research' though. Anyone with an inquiring mind should question the value of some research. I don't worship at the alter of academics, just because they're academics. I value intelligent research - but not all research is intelligent.

If you don't share the goals of your employer, shouldn't you change jobs? If I didn't appreciate the advancement of knowledge, I wouldn't work with researchers. I'd think I'd be stealing from them, and that would be unprincipled.

:eek: From Chanel's link:

"As a result, even numbered street signs will have to be replaced."

So what happens to even numbered streets? Renamed One Hundred Eighty-second Street? Something else altogether? Why not the uneven streets as well? I always thought numbers were numbers.

"The new diminutive signs, which will also feature new reflective sheeting, may also reflect a kinder, gentler New York, she said. On the Internet, writing in all caps means you are shouting," she said. "Our new signs can quiet down, as well."

This woman is kidding, right? This will make a kinder NYC? Kinder drivers? This is just money gone to waste on another asinine project. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.

Last edited:

So what if it does, not that you've shown that the total cost wasn't accounted. It's NY cities and states money. If they feel this is good use, that's up to them.

And it is that exact attitude that has bankrupted the city's, states, and this country. Spend as much money that you can.

Forum List

Back