$27 Million to change NYC street signs

You'd think, wouldn't you? Nope this is a fed reg. I'm sure it will affect every city in the nation.

And yes, the signs in NYC are perfectly fine. I have been visiting there my entire life and never once thought to myself "Gee, all this city needs is a different font." :lol:

You'd think, wouldn't you? Nope this is a fed reg. I'm sure it will affect every city in the nation.

And yes, the signs in NYC are perfectly fine. I have been visiting there my entire life and never once thought to myself "Gee, all this city needs is a different font." :lol:

Yes, the reg was passed in 2003, and localities have 15 years to comply. As for using new fonts, my eyes aren't what they used to be, so I appreciate all the help I can get when trying to find a new location by street sign. Using upper and lower case fonts will help quite a bit when seeing ahead whether something is Xxxx Way or East Yyyy.

Show where the $110 per sign cost estimate does not include labor and contractor overhead. Here's a clue. If NYC decided to contract to replace its street signs, they wouldn't line item that estimate to only show the material cost. It would be total cost.

You made that claim, don't you think it only right that you be able to back it up with something more substantial than speculation and what you think you've anecdotally saw?

Try reading compression. I quoted the claim and was responding, i did not make the claim.

You need real world education in how city's spend money and what things cost. Here is a clue, all city's line item costs.

Nothing wrong with my comprehension. Here's the claim you made:

Each sign may cost $110 each, but you also have to add in the salary of the 5 person crew to change it. So your $27 million job is in reality will be more likely be $127 million.

And have yet to show any substantiation of it.

Again try reading the OP.

Me too, I have family there.

Everyone has their own little empire to protect.

Even though this was a Bush regulation, I don't see what's wrong with it. Creating standards is a clear constitutional responsibility. \

Wow ,I never read the Constitution that way .
I always saw it as handcuffs on the Government , not as the invisible hand of universal compliance and uniformity.

Every time I think I have heard the most ignorant thing that Washington could possibly do, they seem to come up with something new that beats the previous stupid thing... The only thing that is constant is the stupidity coming out of Washington, DC.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
The Capital of the World is going lower-case.

Federal copy editors are demanding the city change its 250,900 street signs -- such as these for Perry Avenue in The Bronx -- from the all-caps style used for more than a century to ones that capitalize only the first letters.

Changing BROADWAY to Broadway will save lives, the Federal Highway Administration contends in its updated Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, citing improved readability.

At $110 per sign, it will also cost the state $27.6 million, city officials said.

The new regulations also require a change in font from the standard highway typeface to Clearview, which was specially developed for this purpose.

As a result, even numbered street signs will have to be replaced.

Read more: Under new federal guidelines all New York City street signs will have to be made lower-case - NYPOST.com

Our tax dollars at work. Good to see that the feds have their priorities in order. Maybe it will "save or create" a few more jobs. :evil:

Each sign may cost $110 each, but you also have to add in the salary of the 5 person crew to change it. So your $27 million job is in reality will be more likely be $127 million.

And just think of the 10 or 12 Jobs Saved Or Created the Obamanoids will add to the tally!

Show where the $110 per sign cost estimate does not include labor and contractor overhead. Here's a clue. If NYC decided to contract to replace its street signs, they wouldn't line item that estimate to only show the material cost. It would be total cost.

You made that claim, don't you think it only right that you be able to back it up with something more substantial than speculation and what you think you've anecdotally saw?

Here is an even better clue.....

How about they leave perfectly good signs RIGHT WHERE THEY ARE? Think of the money that would be saved.

Novel idea INHO

Since I don't live in NYC, and haven't been there in a few years, I have no idea whether the existing signs are "perfectly good". In any case, that's a determination that is made by the people of New York and their local government.

Is that the best you have? :confused:

Sounds to me like the New York voters need to wise up and seriously think about whom they send to public office.

Oh, and why do you have to take a term such as "perfectly good" to hone in on? How about you focus on the substance rather than the term "perfectly good"?

Here is an even better clue.....

How about they leave perfectly good signs RIGHT WHERE THEY ARE? Think of the money that would be saved.

Novel idea INHO

Since I don't live in NYC, and haven't been there in a few years, I have no idea whether the existing signs are "perfectly good". In any case, that's a determination that is made by the people of New York and their local government.

Sounds to me like the New York voters need to wise up and seriously think about whom they send to public office.

Oh, and why do you have to take a term such as "perfectly good" to hone in on? How about you focus on the substance rather than the term "perfectly good"?

Its not NYC voters..... The Federal Government is forcing NYC to change the signs.

Its not NYC voters..... The Federal Government is forcing NYC to change the signs.

Thanks....I didnt realize that, and that makes it even worse for me to understand :confused:

What in the Hell does the Federal Gov't think it is doing meddling in a city's affairs in such a macro way?

They are out of control.
Yep, looks like it was under the Bush administration..... they had nothing better to be thinking of in 2003 than this! Lets see.... we were, and still are, in the middle of 2 wars and this is what was priority that day.

OMG we are doomed!
(well, we will see after November 2nd anyways)

Everyone has their own little empire to protect.

Even though this was a Bush regulation, I don't see what's wrong with it. Creating standards is a clear constitutional responsibility. \

I always saw it as handcuffs on the Government , not as the invisible hand of universal compliance and uniformity.

Article 1 section 8:

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

While they are redoing them, maybe they can add Braille...

Otherwise Blind Drivers won't Know where they are at either!

:)

peace...

The ACLU has issued a warning to those people who are critical of blind drivers.....They WILL be called sight challenged operators of motor vehicles....or SCOMV....

I love it more BIG government at work....

Thanks Obama !:eusa_whistle:

Article 1 section 8:

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

How does any of this apply to the lettering on street signs?

Increase readability? Is it really that hard to READ IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS?

And if this is such a big deal, why don't they just slowly phase them in on a case by case basis?

Increase readability? Is it really that hard to READ IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS?

And if this is such a big deal, why don't they just slowly phase them in on a case by case basis?

Stop making sense! Heads will explode at the logic of your statements.

Article 1 section 8:

Exactly how does the font on a sign pertain to any of the issues you stated above?

I'll tell you........... IT DOES'NT!

Article 1 section 8:

Exactly how does the font on a sign pertain to any of the issues you stated above?

I'll tell you........... IT DOES'NT!

sssshhhh...my guess is ..someone needed to create a task force to get some friends jobs......this is the result.

Forum List

Back