2016 Arctic sea ice thread

Other than that I haven't a clue what you're talking about here.

Yeah, but neither has he.

I admire your patience at times. Really, I do.

On the other hand, the two aren't here to learn or debate, they're here to destroy threads with their repetitive off-topic spamming, insults to intelligence, all. Your attention to their destructive efforts assists in their endeavor. I thought, that ought to be pointed out.

This thread is about Arctic Sea Ice. Let it not be dragged through the otherworldly rubble of the denialingdongs' la-la-land.

RollingPARROT,

Why does one Earth polar circle, the Antarctic, have 9 times the ice of the other, the Arctic?

Your failure to answer that question proves you have no ability to "think" beyond the PARROT species...

I dont follow many threads anymore but it seems to me that you keep asking this question over and over again.

the answer is obvious and i bet you have heard why at least a dozen times.

the north pole is an ocean which continuously receives heat from warmer oceans via currents. the south pole is a land continent that is isolated from receiving warmth directly from adjacent oceans. if you switched the geography of the two poles then you would also switch the amount of ice present at each.

Other than that I haven't a clue what you're talking about here.

Yeah, but neither has he.

I admire your patience at times. Really, I do.

On the other hand, the two aren't here to learn or debate, they're here to destroy threads with their repetitive off-topic spamming, insults to intelligence, all. Your attention to their destructive efforts assists in their endeavor. I thought, that ought to be pointed out.

This thread is about Arctic Sea Ice. Let it not be dragged through the otherworldly rubble of the denialingdongs' la-la-land.

You're right. My apologies for following jc off-topic.

I did not say no last night. I can show, and you have repeatedly been shown, that it has made the Earth warmer.

I do not understand what you're attempting to say here:

" I've read many documents and experiments, he showed it warmed big deal"

I presume "he" is Angstrom. Other than that I haven't a clue what you're talking about here. Care to explain?
The answer is that sea melts due to warm ocean currents, without that, you'd have much more ice.

Why have the oceans gotten warmer when the sun's output has shrunk dramatically?

Back in the real world....and on topic.....

The Arctic Sea Ice is Breaking Up North of Greenland in June
(excerpts)
The Arctic sea ice is breaking up to the north of Greenland during June. Another cognitive dissonance producing instance of something that would have never happened without the added heat kick provided by human-forced climate change. But now, with atmospheric CO2 topping out at near 408 ppm during May of this year, it appears that all sorts of weather weirdness is currently possible. It was an odd break-up spurred by the onrush of warm winds rising up from Continental North America. These winds of climate change fueled record temperatures as they crossed the northern islands of the Canadian Archipelago over the past week. On Axel Heiburg Island, temperatures hit near 54 degrees F (12.3 C) along the 80 degree North Latitude line. Readings that are about 15-20 degrees F (7 to 12 C) above average for this time of year and highly anomalous readings for what should be a permanently frozen island.

These southerly winds then bore the record warm to near record warm airs across a region just north of Greenland — pushing temperatures over this section of the Arctic Ocean into the mid to upper 30s. This extra heat was then enough to shatter the thinning ice. 1-3 Mile wide cracks opened up as the ice drifted off its moorings between Northern Greenland and the North Pole. Now, the entire Arctic Ocean ice pack from the Beaufort to the East Siberian Sea, to the Laptev, across the Kara and north of the Barents on to north of Greenland and the Canadian Archipelago is floating free in June. A condition that was unheard of in August or September just a decade and a half ago, but one that is now occurring before the Summer Solstice. Overall, for this time of year, Arctic sea ice extent remains in or near record low ranges despite weather conditions that would have traditionally helped to preserve sea ice. Storms over the central ice have provided cloudy conditions, preventing direct sunlight from hitting the ice and speeding melt. However, despite these conditions, temperatures over most of the Arctic have remained above average — with some regions along the coast experiencing substantially above average temperatures.

After record Arctic warmth this Winter and Spring, storms churning over the sea ice during June have done little to prevent continued record low extents throughout the Northern Polar zone or to disallow strange events like the early-season break-up of ice to the north of Greenland. To the contrary, we have numerous instances where storms are drawing in warm, wet winds from the south and are increasingly dumping rainfall over the sea ice. A condition that also tends to speed melt. By yesterday, Japan’s sea ice measure (JAXA) had dropped to 9,730,000 square kilometers or about three days ahead of record melt year 2012’s all time low line. Rates of loss steepened over recent days as the anomalous Arctic heat bit in and numerous shattered ice flows lost integrity under relentless elemental punishment. Record low sea ice extents for 2016 are likely to continue to have an influence on Northern Hemisphere weather — assisting the formation of high amplitude Jet Stream wave patterns. These waves are associated with extreme and persistent weather conditions to include — heatwaves, droughts, wildfires and floods. One such wave pattern is now facilitating record hot temperatures and increased wildfire hazards over the US West and has the potential to set off heatwaves over the Alaskan and Canadian Arctic even as anomalous rainstorms form over wide sections of the Arctic Ocean during the next couple of weeks.

Why have the oceans gotten warmer when the sun's output has shrunk dramatically?

Anyone still confused about Solar Cycle???

The oceans have not warmed at all. That is why the Atlantic Ocean is setting new all time highs for LACK of strong 'canes. That is why Antarctic Sea Ice has set 5 new all time highs since O took office.

SOLAR CYCLE is PART OF THE GLOBAL WARMING FRAUD.

WAKE UP MORONS!!!

Back in the real world....and on topic.....

The Arctic Sea Ice is Breaking Up North of Greenland in June
(excerpts)
The Arctic sea ice is breaking up to the north of Greenland during June. Another cognitive dissonance producing instance of something that would have never happened without the added heat kick provided by human-forced climate change. But now, with atmospheric CO2 topping out at near 408 ppm during May of this year, it appears that all sorts of weather weirdness is currently possible. It was an odd break-up spurred by the onrush of warm winds rising up from Continental North America. These winds of climate change fueled record temperatures as they crossed the northern islands of the Canadian Archipelago over the past week. On Axel Heiburg Island, temperatures hit near 54 degrees F (12.3 C) along the 80 degree North Latitude line. Readings that are about 15-20 degrees F (7 to 12 C) above average for this time of year and highly anomalous readings for what should be a permanently frozen island.

These southerly winds then bore the record warm to near record warm airs across a region just north of Greenland — pushing temperatures over this section of the Arctic Ocean into the mid to upper 30s. This extra heat was then enough to shatter the thinning ice. 1-3 Mile wide cracks opened up as the ice drifted off its moorings between Northern Greenland and the North Pole. Now, the entire Arctic Ocean ice pack from the Beaufort to the East Siberian Sea, to the Laptev, across the Kara and north of the Barents on to north of Greenland and the Canadian Archipelago is floating free in June. A condition that was unheard of in August or September just a decade and a half ago, but one that is now occurring before the Summer Solstice. Overall, for this time of year, Arctic sea ice extent remains in or near record low ranges despite weather conditions that would have traditionally helped to preserve sea ice. Storms over the central ice have provided cloudy conditions, preventing direct sunlight from hitting the ice and speeding melt. However, despite these conditions, temperatures over most of the Arctic have remained above average — with some regions along the coast experiencing substantially above average temperatures.

After record Arctic warmth this Winter and Spring, storms churning over the sea ice during June have done little to prevent continued record low extents throughout the Northern Polar zone or to disallow strange events like the early-season break-up of ice to the north of Greenland. To the contrary, we have numerous instances where storms are drawing in warm, wet winds from the south and are increasingly dumping rainfall over the sea ice. A condition that also tends to speed melt. By yesterday, Japan’s sea ice measure (JAXA) had dropped to 9,730,000 square kilometers or about three days ahead of record melt year 2012’s all time low line. Rates of loss steepened over recent days as the anomalous Arctic heat bit in and numerous shattered ice flows lost integrity under relentless elemental punishment. Record low sea ice extents for 2016 are likely to continue to have an influence on Northern Hemisphere weather — assisting the formation of high amplitude Jet Stream wave patterns. These waves are associated with extreme and persistent weather conditions to include — heatwaves, droughts, wildfires and floods. One such wave pattern is now facilitating record hot temperatures and increased wildfire hazards over the US West and has the potential to set off heatwaves over the Alaskan and Canadian Arctic even as anomalous rainstorms form over wide sections of the Arctic Ocean during the next couple of weeks.
Oh the train load of bull shit in that article...

Look into the US Navy records dumbass. This has happened before many times.. The easily duped fools fall for the lies one more time...

Sea_Ice_Extent_N_prev_v2.png

Looks to me like things are OK up there in the 15% coverage region and at normal for the 30% coverage region...

As the Arctic Ocean grows, sea ice around Russia and Canada will fade and coalesce around Greenland, where it will make a stand and then slowly start increasing again. Meanwhile, Antarctic ice and sea ice continue to grow, as does 7% of Earth ice on Greenland. The two ice ages of today account for 97% of Earth ice, and they will both grow for at least the next million years, likely much longer.

As the Arctic Ocean grows, sea ice around Russia and Canada will fade and coalesce around Greenland, where it will make a stand and then slowly start increasing again. Meanwhile, Antarctic ice and sea ice continue to grow, as does 7% of Earth ice on Greenland. The two ice ages of today account for 97% of Earth ice, and they will both grow for at least the next million years, likely much longer.

The arctic ocean isn't growing or decreasing in size in any noticeable short term scale to say what you're saying. lol Ice around Greenland and the northern Canadian islands is where the thickest multi year ice is(4 to 10 meters and has much less ability to melt) and so of course that will be the less place to melt out.

Well, there's only been one ice age the past 30 million years. You do know what a ice age is? It is glacial ice on either pole. Antarctica started building up ice around 30 million years ago and greenland around 18-22 million years ago. Glaciation is the periods of increased ice sheet extent and a innerglacial is a period of decreased glaciation.

I can assure you that most of the ice in the Greenlandic ice sheet is made up of ice that has lasted at least a few million years. On rather they grow in extent over the next few million years is yet to be seen, but this period of global warming isn't helping that prediction.

Last edited:
Why have they got warmer? I never said that, you did. Sea ice melts every year. Or you don't think so?

Sea_Ice_Extent_N_prev_v2.png

Looks to me like things are OK up there in the 15% coverage region and at normal for the 30% coverage region...

It's at a new record low. Glad to hear you think that means thing are OK.
Hey crick, if ice reflects sun light, where does all the lwir come from to melt the sea ice? CO2 doesn't absorb UV?

I love watching sea ice and what is causing the decline in it. I believe the data as it is backed up satellite images I've posted in this thread. WE do need a new American ice satellite!
What is melting more ice in your opinion?

You don't have to say it, jc. The scientists that are measuring the sea temperatures are saying it. And their measurements certainly have more weight than your silly unsupported blather.

Arctic Report Card - Sea Surface Temperature - Timmermans and Proshutinsky

Sea Surface Temperature
M. -L. Timmermans1, A. Proshutinsky2
1Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
2Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA, USA

November 25, 2015
Highlights
  • Sea surface temperatures (SSTs) in August 2015 off the west coast of Greenland (eastern Baffin Bay) and in the Kara Sea were up to +4°C warmer than the 1982-2010 August mean in these regions.
  • The Chukchi Sea and eastern Baffin Bay show the largest ocean surface warming trends; August SSTs are increasing at ~0.5°C/decade in these regions.
  • In the Arctic Basin, spatial patterns of August 2015 SST anomalies relative to the 1982-2010 August mean are linked to regional variability in sea-ice retreat.
Summer sea surface temperatures (SSTs) in the Arctic Ocean are set by absorption of solar radiation into the surface layer. In the Barents and Chukchi seas, there is an additional contribution from advection of warm water from the North Atlantic and Pacific oceans, respectively. Solar warming of the ocean surface layer is influenced by the distribution of sea ice (with more solar warming in ice-free regions), and by cloud cover, water color and upper-ocean stratification. August SSTs are an appropriate representation of Arctic Ocean summer SSTs and are not affected by the cooling and subsequent sea-ice growth that takes place in the latter half of September. Here we use SST data from the NOAA Optimum Interpolation (OI) SST Version 2 monthly product, which is a blend of in situ and satellite measurements available at the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado (Reynolds et al. 2002, 2007;ESRL : PSD : NOAA Optimum Interpolation (OI) Sea Surface Temperature (SST) V2).

Mean SSTs in August 2015 in ice-free regions ranged from ~0°C in some places to around +7 to +8°C in the Chukchi, Barents, and Kara seas and eastern Baffin Bay off the west coast of Greenland (Fig. 5.1a). August 2015 SSTs show the same general spatial distribution as the August mean for the period 1982-2010 (shown in Arctic Report Card 2014, Fig. 5.1a). The August 2015 SST pattern is also similar to that of recent years, e.g., 2012 (Fig. 5.1b), which was the summer of lowest minimum sea-ice extent in the satellite record (1979-present).

Crick is arguing that CO2 is melting Arctic Sea Ice. Problem - Antarctic Sea Ice is growing, setting 5 all time record highs since Obama took office...

Whatever it does, melt or freeze, it is always "because of" "Global (non) Warming..."

Forum List

Back