2016 Arctic sea ice thread

You don't have to say it, jc. The scientists that are measuring the sea temperatures are saying it. And their measurements certainly have more weight than your silly unsupported blather.

Arctic Report Card - Sea Surface Temperature - Timmermans and Proshutinsky

Sea Surface Temperature
M. -L. Timmermans1, A. Proshutinsky2
1Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
2Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA, USA

November 25, 2015
Highlights
  • Sea surface temperatures (SSTs) in August 2015 off the west coast of Greenland (eastern Baffin Bay) and in the Kara Sea were up to +4°C warmer than the 1982-2010 August mean in these regions.
  • The Chukchi Sea and eastern Baffin Bay show the largest ocean surface warming trends; August SSTs are increasing at ~0.5°C/decade in these regions.
  • In the Arctic Basin, spatial patterns of August 2015 SST anomalies relative to the 1982-2010 August mean are linked to regional variability in sea-ice retreat.
Summer sea surface temperatures (SSTs) in the Arctic Ocean are set by absorption of solar radiation into the surface layer. In the Barents and Chukchi seas, there is an additional contribution from advection of warm water from the North Atlantic and Pacific oceans, respectively. Solar warming of the ocean surface layer is influenced by the distribution of sea ice (with more solar warming in ice-free regions), and by cloud cover, water color and upper-ocean stratification. August SSTs are an appropriate representation of Arctic Ocean summer SSTs and are not affected by the cooling and subsequent sea-ice growth that takes place in the latter half of September. Here we use SST data from the NOAA Optimum Interpolation (OI) SST Version 2 monthly product, which is a blend of in situ and satellite measurements available at the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado (Reynolds et al. 2002, 2007;ESRL : PSD : NOAA Optimum Interpolation (OI) Sea Surface Temperature (SST) V2).

Mean SSTs in August 2015 in ice-free regions ranged from ~0°C in some places to around +7 to +8°C in the Chukchi, Barents, and Kara seas and eastern Baffin Bay off the west coast of Greenland (Fig. 5.1a). August 2015 SSTs show the same general spatial distribution as the August mean for the period 1982-2010 (shown in Arctic Report Card 2014, Fig. 5.1a). The August 2015 SST pattern is also similar to that of recent years, e.g., 2012 (Fig. 5.1b), which was the summer of lowest minimum sea-ice extent in the satellite record (1979-present).
So Old Rocks, I'm not sure I understand what you're actually proving with this one.

"Solar warming of the ocean surface layer is influenced by the distribution of sea ice (with more solar warming in ice-free regions), and by cloud cover, water color and upper-ocean stratification."

Claims solar warming, that's sunshine UV short wavelength radiation. What does that have to do with CO2? It seems you've drifted from CO2 with your argument. Eventually shore ice will melt by the sun because of the depth of the water and thickness of that ice. Yes, it will melt due to sun, I agree, and when it melts it will become water and then the sun will warm the water a bit. Still don't see a correlation to CO2.

There is no correlation, which is why Antarctic Sea Ice is growing while Arctic Sea Ice is shrinking, all at the same time on the same planet with the same atmosphere with the same amount of CO2 in the atmosphere...

and you do not need a "lab" to validate it...

You don't have to say it, jc. The scientists that are measuring the sea temperatures are saying it. And their measurements certainly have more weight than your silly unsupported blather.

Sea Surface Temperature

November 25, 2015
Highlights
  • Sea surface temperatures (SSTs) in August 2015 off the west coast of Greenland (eastern Baffin Bay) and in the Kara Sea were up to +4°C warmer than the 1982-2010 August mean in these regions.
  • The Chukchi Sea and eastern Baffin Bay show the largest ocean surface warming trends; August SSTs are increasing at ~0.5°C/decade in these regions.
  • In the Arctic Basin, spatial patterns of August 2015 SST anomalies relative to the 1982-2010 August mean are linked to regional variability in sea-ice retreat.
Summer sea surface temperatures (SSTs) in the Arctic Ocean are set by absorption of solar radiation into the surface layer. In the Barents and Chukchi seas, there is an additional contribution from advection of warm water from the North Atlantic and Pacific oceans, respectively. Solar warming of the ocean surface layer is influenced by the distribution of sea ice (with more solar warming in ice-free regions), and by cloud cover, water color and upper-ocean stratification. August SSTs are an appropriate representation of Arctic Ocean summer SSTs and are not affected by the cooling and subsequent sea-ice growth that takes place in the latter half of September. Here we use SST data from the NOAA Optimum Interpolation (OI) SST Version 2 monthly product, which is a blend of in situ and satellite measurements available at the NOAA/OAR/ESRL PSD, Boulder, Colorado (Reynolds et al. 2002, 2007;ESRL : PSD : NOAA Optimum Interpolation (OI) Sea Surface Temperature (SST) V2).

Mean SSTs in August 2015 in ice-free regions ranged from ~0°C in some places to around +7 to +8°C in the Chukchi, Barents, and Kara seas and eastern Baffin Bay off the west coast of Greenland (Fig. 5.1a). August 2015 SSTs show the same general spatial distribution as the August mean for the period 1982-2010 (shown in Arctic Report Card 2014, Fig. 5.1a). The August 2015 SST pattern is also similar to that of recent years, e.g., 2012 (Fig. 5.1b), which was the summer of lowest minimum sea-ice extent in the satellite record (1979-present).
So Old Rocks, I'm not sure I understand what you're actually proving with this one.

"Solar warming of the ocean surface layer is influenced by the distribution of sea ice (with more solar warming in ice-free regions), and by cloud cover, water color and upper-ocean stratification."

Claims solar warming, that's sunshine UV short wavelength radiation. What does that have to do with CO2? It seems you've drifted from CO2 with your argument. Eventually shore ice will melt by the sun because of the depth of the water and thickness of that ice. Yes, it will melt due to sun, I agree, and when it melts it will become water and then the sun will warm the water a bit. Still don't see a correlation to CO2.

You don't think air temperatures 10-15 degrees warmer than normal might have some effect on melt rates?

Sea Surface Temperature

November 25, 2015
Highlights

You don't think air temperatures 10-15 degrees warmer than normal might have some effect on melt rates?
If you think the melt rate changes, then test it.

Good to see you aren't "banned," jc.

Looks like the "warmers" have a new satellite over Antarctica, clearly one having "issues."

The more I read of how stupid these libertarian republicans are = the more I want to vote democrat. They remind me of the taliban in to many ways and are against too many things that I believe in from investing in science to educating our children. It is obvious that the sea ice at least in the short term has melted to the levels the satellite data is saying it has.

The more I read of how stupid these libertarian republicans are = the more I want to vote democrat. They remind me of the taliban in to many ways and are against too many things that I believe in from investing in science to educating our children. It is obvious that the sea ice at least in the short term has melted to the levels the satellite data is saying it has.
Did I lie?

Okay. I froze a whole tray of ice overnight. I took half the cubes and placed them in my sink. I left the other half in the freezer. The ones in the sink melted much faster than the ones in the freezer.

Science.

From Wikipedia's article on PIOMAS

Sea ice thickness
spatial extent, and open water within ice packs can vary rapidly in response to weather and climate.[1] Sea ice concentration are measured by satellites, with the Special Sensor Microwave Imager / Sounder (SSMIS), and the European Space Agency's Cryosat-2 satellite to map the thickness and shape of the Earth's polar ice cover.[2]The sea ice volume is calculated with the Pan-Arctic Ice Ocean Modeling and Assimilation System (PIOMAS), which blends satellite-observed data, such as sea ice concentrations into model calculations to estimate sea ice thickness and volume. Sea ice thickness determines a number of important fluxes such as heat flux between the air and ocean surface—see below—as well as salt and fresh water fluxes between the ocean since saline water ejects much of its salt content when frozen—see sea ice growth processes. It is also important for navigators on icebreakers since there is an upper limit to the thickness of ice any ship can sail through.

From NSIDC.ORG

As of June 14, 2016, NSIDC has completed the transition to the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) F-18 satellite for sea ice data. Sea Ice Index updates have also resumed.

Sea ice data in Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis are now based on the F-18 satellite beginning April 1, 2016. Data before April 1 are still from the F-17 satellite or earlier satellites in the series.

For more information on the F-17 satellite issues, see our April 12, 2016 post. On May 6, updates resumed with provisional F-18 data. These data are no longer considered provisional. However, these are near-real-time data and numbers may change when final data are obtained.

For more information on the satellite transition, see the documentation for the Near-Real-Time DMSP SSMIS Daily Polar Gridded Sea Ice Concentrations data set.

Posted in Analysis
*****************************************************************************************

Guess what jc? They don't use the same satellites. PIOMAS has not been down.

Okay. I froze a whole tray of ice overnight. I took half the cubes and placed them in my sink. I left the other half in the freezer. The ones in the sink melted much faster than the ones in the freezer.

Science.
But that difference is greater than 15 degrees. So test isn't valid for your hypothesis, fail.

From Wikipedia's article on PIOMAS

Sea ice thickness
spatial extent, and open water within ice packs can vary rapidly in response to weather and climate.[1] Sea ice concentration are measured by satellites, with the Special Sensor Microwave Imager / Sounder (SSMIS), and the European Space Agency's Cryosat-2 satellite to map the thickness and shape of the Earth's polar ice cover.[2]The sea ice volume is calculated with the Pan-Arctic Ice Ocean Modeling and Assimilation System (PIOMAS), which blends satellite-observed data, such as sea ice concentrations into model calculations to estimate sea ice thickness and volume. Sea ice thickness determines a number of important fluxes such as heat flux between the air and ocean surface—see below—as well as salt and fresh water fluxes between the ocean since saline water ejects much of its salt content when frozen—see sea ice growth processes. It is also important for navigators on icebreakers since there is an upper limit to the thickness of ice any ship can sail through.

From NSIDC.ORG

As of June 14, 2016, NSIDC has completed the transition to the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP) F-18 satellite for sea ice data. Sea Ice Index updates have also resumed.

Sea ice data in Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis are now based on the F-18 satellite beginning April 1, 2016. Data before April 1 are still from the F-17 satellite or earlier satellites in the series.

For more information on the F-17 satellite issues, see our April 12, 2016 post. On May 6, updates resumed with provisional F-18 data. These data are no longer considered provisional. However, these are near-real-time data and numbers may change when final data are obtained.

For more information on the satellite transition, see the documentation for the Near-Real-Time DMSP SSMIS Daily Polar Gridded Sea Ice Concentrations data set.

Posted in Analysis
*****************************************************************************************

Guess what jc? They don't use the same satellites. PIOMAS has not been down.
So you admit you lied

Forum List

Back