uss liberty

Is there a background story that would indicate an attack on an Americans ship was purposeful?

An Egyptian Ship with almost identical Tonnage and Profile egressed From Station and the Liberty took up its position , this was a fog of war event

A U.S. spy ship strayed into a war zone and was hit. Why does that come as a shock? Israel apologized. Lost in the mostly anti-Israel rhetoric is the fact that another U.S. spy ship, the Pueblo, was captured by North Korea and is still being held.
The point wasn't the ship, it was the crew.

The Crew of the USS Pueblo was returned.

The Crew of USS Liberty - or at least some of them - Died.

That said, this was an accident.

It was intentional, it was covered up by LBJ ( who refused to send aid during the attack) and John McCain's father, and it represents the corrupt relationship between the US Congress and the State of Israel, and you can move on but that relationship hasn't. If anything it is worse today.
somehow i was not expecting you to get my point. congrats, watcher.

was the older mccain com6flt at the time?

the surviving crew of the pueblo was returned long ago. the ship is obsolete. if you really want it back, trump should ask his bestie to give it back.

israel has many supporters. only one man is flying around america claiming to be kim's buddy.
The Pueblo crew surrendered. Is that what the Liberty should have done? The ship is obsolete so we should let a totalitarian regime use it as a trophy of American imperialism? The Pueblo crew should have scuttled it or the U.S. should have destroyed it instead of allowing it to exist as an insult to the United States.

The Pueblo crew surrendered. Is that what the Liberty should have done? The ship is obsolete so we should let a totalitarian regime use it as a trophy of American imperialism? The Pueblo crew should have scuttled it or the U.S. should have destroyed it instead of allowing it to exist as an insult to the United States.

How many people are you willing to kill over an "insult"?

My number would be "0".

in discussion of events in israel, occasionally the subject of uss liberty is raised. there is a general cloud of disinformation about this incident, and more recent analysis might contradict your memories (or more likely , non memories. this incident, for obvious reasons, was not widely reported or discussed. "

this scholarxhip is summarized in a 2017 report in the naval institute proceedings,

here is what the article says, footnoted and referenced including formerly classified intel.

1. there was an attack 74 dead and over 100 wounded.
2. weather clear. good visibility. american flag on display (and if you have sailed or seen a ship equipped with a 60s style outboard system , her antenna farm could not be mistaken for any kind of cargo or fishing ship.
3. the incident was discussed at the national security council level and a decision was made to minimize public outrage. and
4. the mockingbird influenced media obliged.

why bring this up at all. 50 years ago and israel is our bestie friend, right? maybe that is correct, this is ancient history isn't it?

maybe, but when otherwise isolationists insist we must support every israeli settlement asd punative expedition on the basis of how great a friend and ally israel is, this incident should remind us of our actual real allies rather than, i'm sure good people, who are not above using a superpower to back their two bit plays in palestine. .
200 countries don`t support Israel while one (1) country does. Is there something wrong with the 200 or is something wrong with the one?

Gary Powers` U-2 spy plane has been on display in Moscow for 60 years. So what?

the pueblo drew were a little remiss in execution of their destruction plan, which i am certain included scuttling . it cost us later in vietnam.

as for the trophy. i walk around british cannon many mornings for exercise. her majesty never seemed offended. i'm sure george hanover was happy that jackson sent his general home in a rum barrel.

whichever kim it was would have no choice but to consider the american ship as what it was, a spy ship crewed by enemies.

the question of international waters then arises and i'm sure there has been intense negotiation and litigation on that subject.

and, after all, if this is such an insult, why doesn't kim send the rusting hulk to mar a lago as a valentine present?

How many people are you willing to kill over an "insult"?

My number would be "0".
It's estimated that Bill Clinton killed anywhere from 2,000 to 10,000 in a series of bombing raids in Yugoslavia to deflect attention from his peculiar sexual appetite. Using Navy Seals to destroy a U.S. ship in foreign hands seems like a legitimate effort.

It's estimated that Bill Clinton killed anywhere from 2,000 to 10,000 in a series of bombing raids in Yugoslavia to deflect attention from his peculiar sexual appetite. Using Navy Seals to destroy a U.S. ship in foreign hands seems like a legitimate effort.
He blew up major Bridges over the Danube ( With people & Vehicle traffic on them )

Really? I thought it was about the Genocide that Milosevic was committing.

in discussion of events in israel, occasionally the subject of uss liberty is raised. there is a general cloud of disinformation about this incident

Ahhh, it is time for out semi-regular Anti-Semites to spout off once again. Nice and predictable. Of course, it is closing in on Hitler's birthday, so I guess it is time to start spreading the word once again.

in discussion of events in israel, occasionally the subject of uss liberty is raised. there is a general cloud of disinformation about this incident, and more recent analysis might contradict your memories (or more likely , non memories. this incident, for obvious reasons, was not widely reported or discussed. "

this scholarxhip is summarized in a 2017 report in the naval institute proceedings,

here is what the article says, footnoted and referenced including formerly classified intel.

1. there was an attack 74 dead and over 100 wounded.
2. weather clear. good visibility. american flag on display (and if you have sailed or seen a ship equipped with a 60s style outboard system , her antenna farm could not be mistaken for any kind of cargo or fishing ship.
3. the incident was discussed at the national security council level and a decision was made to minimize public outrage. and
4. the mockingbird influenced media obliged.

why bring this up at all. 50 years ago and israel is our bestie friend, right? maybe that is correct, this is ancient history isn't it?

maybe, but when otherwise isolationists insist we must support every israeli settlement asd punative expedition on the basis of how great a friend and ally israel is, this incident should remind us of our actual real allies rather than, i'm sure good people, who are not above using a superpower to back their two bit plays in palestine. .

The attack on the USS Liberty in 1967, combined with the attacks at WTC in 2001 are proof positive that the state of Israel is NOT our ally.

Nope, but there is no doubt that Israel is not our friend/ally. Allies don't kill your sailors and citizens.
You mean the way Australians did when their Carrier Cut one of our Destroyers in Half ( Killing more US Sailors than died in the USS Liberty Incident around the same time frame ?)

Citizens ? Jooos we’re behind 9/11 ?
The Israeli state was behind 911. Mountains of facts and evidence show that, but you're ignorant of all those things, as intended by your masters. A dual citizen Jewish Rabbi was comptroller at the Pentagon on 911, but you'd rather not acknowledge that.

Check out Dov Zakheim. Check out who became the head of the newly created DHS, Chertoff.

Forum List

Back