Xenophobia is so passe

opinionator

Rookie
Nov 25, 2015
I really didn’t quite understand the fervor that is involved in this Trump movement until the other day. When I say I didn’t understand it, what I mean is that I didn’t understand where all the anger is coming from. Why are people so worked up? To me, the country doesn’t seem as if it’s really in all that bad of shape. But something a Trump supporter said to me online was like a light bulb going off in my head. I get it now.

Among other things, this guy said that he didn’t like to have to press “1” to get English. Yeah, something as simple as that made it all clear to me. The truth is that this movement is really that simple. Many of us wonder how Trump’s followers could be so blind to all of his baggage. It’s because this really isn’t all that complicated to them. They feel as if their country is being hijacked, and they want it back. And for whatever reason, they think Trump is the man to do that.

It may be an oversimplification to call this movement racist. Xenophobic may be more accurate. But it’s probably easier to just say that it’s racist. Many people wouldn’t know what xenophobic meant anyway. The bottom line here is that there is a segment of our society who feels like their way of life is being taken from them, and those who are at fault need to be defeated. The problem here is that it’s always the fault of others.

According to those who follow Trump, the Mexicans are taking our jobs by coming here. The Chinese are causing our jobs to go over there. Muslims want to destroy us. Liberals want to take God out of our lives and turn the United States into a communist dictatorship. All politicians are on the take and don’t care about the common man. The bottom line is that others are always at fault, according to these people.

Xenophobia is the fear of that which is foreign or strange. There is no doubt that things have changed quite a bit in the United States. But I’ve got a message for Trump supporters. Most of this change is something that a majority of us want and support. We are not being hijacked. We are moving forward because a majority of us want it this way.

The reality is that Trump will disappoint you. And that’s because a majority of people don’t buy into your fears and blaming it all on others. I doubt Trump even believes it. The bottom line is that you aren’t going to be able to make the majority of us comply with your vision of how things should be. Therefore, most of what Trump promises you will never happen. There isn’t a cabal of elite insiders hijacking the country from you, things are progressing because most of us want it that way.

The Scribbling Sage

Forum List

Back