Zone1 Do you think that Catholics must go to church

Every sunday?

i dont think so
I don't look at it as "must go to church" but I get to go to church! Hurray and Alleluia! Sometimes I get to go to church daily. Here's why: While I pray daily, I am only one and I am within myself. What happens when a pond has only one creek to feed it? It grows a lot of algae and not much else. It looks murky and is not as healthy as ponds that have more water coming and going. In Church we are many coming and going. We hear more than our own thoughts and we are blessed.

The meat of the answer lies in the validity of the "Precepts of the Church," to wit,

"The Catholic Church has five precepts, which are a minimum set of practices that all members of the faithful are expected to follow:
  • Attend Mass: Attend Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation
  • Confess: Confess your sins at least once a year
  • Receive the Eucharist: Receive the Eucharist at least once a year, usually during Easter
  • Fast and abstain: Observe days of fasting and abstinence as established by the Church
  • Support the Church: Contribute to the material needs of the Church as you are able."
Note the use of the word, "expected." When I was growing up, these Precepts were taught as though they had equal validity to the Ten Commandments (Which are not uniform among Christian religions - a top for a different thread). That is to say, to violate them was deemed, by the Church at least, to be seriously sinful.

But the word, "expected" injects an element of judgment into the matter. In fact, most bishops release old Catholics from the fasting and abstinence obligations because many old farts would compromise their health if they followed the rules. Being perfectly healthy and 74 y.o., I personally would not feel comfortable flouting those rules, even though I could.

As for attending Mass, I believe it would be sinful for anyone claiming to be Catholic to just blow off Mass for a trivial reason (son's soccer match); such a choice should be mentioned in confession. And parenthetically, Masses are offered all weekend long, so it would be an extremely rare circumstance when a Catholic could not find a convenient Mass to attend, if the main Mass that one attends is conflicted with such trivial event.

But there are circumstances when Mass could be missed, without moral culpability. Out of town, attending to a serious family matter, illness or contagion, and so forth. Remember we ALL got a pass when Covid paranoia was at its peak, and the Church sanctioned it.

So in summary anyone claiming to be Catholic has an obligation to go to Mass on "Sunday," unless there is a damn good reason why s/he can't go. That would be sinful, to be mentioned in confession.

I don't look at it as "must go to church" but I get to go to church! Hurray and Alleluia! Sometimes I get to go to church daily. Here's why: While I pray daily, I am only one and I am within myself. What happens when a pond has only one creek to feed it? It grows a lot of algae and not much else. It looks murky and is not as healthy as ponds that have more water coming and going. In Church we are many coming and going. We hear more than our own thoughts and we are blessed.
You don't need to buy into these deliberate spam and troll threads.

Beautifully written - well said.

The RCC teaches it's a mortal sin to miss Sunday Mass.. unless you are caring for someone who depends on you alone for care or some other dire reason

this is another thing that I, who used to be... shall we say: somewhat protestantized.. did not readily accept. I didn't know back in the day when I 1st heard it, that one can TRUST the RCC... I didn't have a clue back then, but I listened to a person who told me this, then confirmed it with... someone, can't recall. Then once I began going every Sunday.. I began to see WHY we must go at least every Sunday. Then someone invited me to daily Mass and I am eternally grateful for that person for inviting me.. We humans are so sinful, so fallen, so prone to listening to garbage (sent to us via humans under the influence of the Evil one) that we absolutely NEED to go to Church at least on Sunday, every Sunday.

Last edited:

Our daily Mass usually includes praying the Rosary.

Twelve voices praying the Rosary makes a far more formidable weapon than one voice.

And yes, I get the privilege of going to church every day! Think of how many people don't get the same privilege.

The RCC teaches it's a mortal sin to miss Sunday Mass.. unless you are caring for someone who depends on you alone for care or some other dire reason

Not necessarily - not always - and in many cases, likely not.

Without consent, there is no sin. Mortal sin requires three elements: serious matter, knowledge of the sinfulness of the act, and free consent. If any one of these is omitted, no mortal sin is committed.

For example, if the average Catholic person was not brought up and taught to go to mass on a weekly basis - that person may not even be "knowledgeable" of the sin - therefore for that person, it would not be considered a "mortal sin".

That said, the Pastor at my local parish will joke about the "visitors we get on Holy Days - Christmas, Easter, etc" - which ends up filling not only the main Church itself but also the adorning hall. He teaches us to welcome all with open arms.

When it comes to judging others that may not attend mass on a regular basis, the story of the Prodical son comes to mind - many of us may act and feel like the "older son" (and that's ok) but keep in mind what is written ...

Luke 15:

“Now his older son was in the field, and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and sound.’ 28 But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, 29 but he answered his father, ‘Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’ 31 And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32 It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.’”

As well as the parable of the lost sheep, Luke 15:

3 So he told them this parable: 4 “What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he has lost one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the open country, and go after the one that is lost, until he finds it? 5 And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. 6 And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and his neighbors, saying to them, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep that was lost.’ 7 Just so, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance."

The moral of the story is not to judge and ostracize fellow Catholics and Christians for not attending mass or Church on a weekly basis but to welcome them with open arms when they do.

Not necessarily - not always - and in many cases, likely not.

Without consent, there is no sin. Mortal sin requires three elements: serious matter, knowledge of the sinfulness of the act, and free consent. If any one of these is omitted, no mortal sin is committed.

For example, if the average Catholic person was not brought up and taught to go to mass on a weekly basis - that person may not even be "knowledgeable" of the sin - therefore for that person, it would not be considered a "mortal sin".

That said, the Pastor at my local parish will joke about the "visitors we get on Holy Days - Christmas, Easter, etc" - which ends up filling not only the main Church itself but also the adorning hall. He teaches us to welcome all with open arms.

When it comes to judging others that may not attend mass on a regular basis, the story of the Prodical son comes to mind - many of us may act and feel like the "older son" (and that's ok) but keep in mind what is written ...
I know all that.

But once someone knows it is a mortal sin and has NO reason not to go to Mass, he is guilty of mortal sin. Worst of all, he harms himself. Anyone who is not close to Jesus is in that category (and neglecting Mass is being alienated from Jesus ). The Church is a parent... who knows best.

We all know stories of people who went against their wise parents and some have paid for the rest of their lives, and maybe beyond life on Earth

I know all that.

But once someone knows it is a mortal sin and has NO reason not to go to Mass, he is guilty of mortal sin. Worst of all, he harms himself. Anyone who is not close to Jesus is in that category (and neglecting Mass is being alienated from Jesus ). The Church is a parent... who knows best.

We all know stories of people who went against their wise parents and some have paid for the rest of their lives, and maybe beyond life on Earth

Is that for you to judge?

Forum List

Back