World Cup 2022 Qatar Thread

I think that a growing problem for England, and Wales, is that the game is becoming the preserve of the middle classes.

Kids used to play in the street but that era has gone. Now they play in centres with coaches. Working class kids cant afford it. Great talent can still get through but many are lost.

Well, that's still better than it used to be. You either have middle class kids coming on and becoming good, or you have no one coming on and being good.

I couldn't comment on whether all these players coming through are middle class or not. I've not seen such information. However kids often get picked up by clubs at an early age.

Phil Foden was picked up by Man City at the age of 4
Bukayo Saka's parents were migrants from Nigeria and he grew up in Ealing, 12th poorest borough in London, (or 20th richest borough). I would suspect he wasn't "middle class". He was picked up by Arsenal at the age of 7, after having played for Watford.
Marcus Rashford is from a working class family, according to wikipedia. He joined Man Utd at the age of seven
Raheem Sterling was born in Jamaica, father murdered when he was two, moved to London when he was five. He grew up in Brent which is slightly better off than Ealing. He joined QPR at the age of 10.

So, I'm not sure you're right. Maybe some areas are better than other areas. Some kids will be playing football from an early age no matter their status. Talent is talent and at least now it's not based around kids who are bigger than the other kids, as it used to be, then when they got older, they found they didn't have the talent

4552B167-7A81-4EAB-B0E0-6CDF3688E4F0.jpeg

Well, that's still better than it used to be. You either have middle class kids coming on and becoming good, or you have no one coming on and being good.

I couldn't comment on whether all these players coming through are middle class or not. I've not seen such information. However kids often get picked up by clubs at an early age.

Phil Foden was picked up by Man City at the age of 4
Bukayo Saka's parents were migrants from Nigeria and he grew up in Ealing, 12th poorest borough in London, (or 20th richest borough). I would suspect he wasn't "middle class". He was picked up by Arsenal at the age of 7, after having played for Watford.
Marcus Rashford is from a working class family, according to wikipedia. He joined Man Utd at the age of seven
Raheem Sterling was born in Jamaica, father murdered when he was two, moved to London when he was five. He grew up in Brent which is slightly better off than Ealing. He joined QPR at the age of 10.

So, I'm not sure you're right. Maybe some areas are better than other areas. Some kids will be playing football from an early age no matter their status. Talent is talent and at least now it's not based around kids who are bigger than the other kids, as it used to be, then when they got older, they found they didn't have the talent
I was talking to a friens at a party a few weeks ago, He teaches at a school in a really poor area.

He takes the kids himself so they can go for trials. Once they get accepted the problem is keeping them at the academies or even the junior clubs. It can be expensive and not all parents can be arsed believe it or not.

At the other end of the scale my 2 year old grandson attends.Diddy Kickers a part of the Everton club. My daughter pays, I think, £15 a session for him. He gets bored and stacks the cones, he loves that.
I think the players you name sre so good that the clubs pay them to join
. But they are few and far between
I read something similar about Scottish football as well. The kids dont play football any more, apart from in organised clubs..

I was talking to a friens at a party a few weeks ago, He teaches at a school in a really poor area.

He takes the kids himself so they can go for trials. Once they get accepted the problem is keeping them at the academies or even the junior clubs. It can be expensive and not all parents can be arsed believe it or not.

At the other end of the scale my 2 year old grandson attends.Diddy Kickers a part of the Everton club. My daughter pays, I think, £15 a session for him. He gets bored and stacks the cones, he loves that.
I think the players you name sre so good that the clubs pay them to join
. But they are few and far between
I read something similar about Scottish football as well. The kids dont play football any more, apart from in organised clubs..

Sure, the good kids are the ones who get paid, and they're the ones who'll be professional. Other kids won't make it. And the good kids are the future of international football.

Germany, however, does things much better. Clubs are a part of the community, they bring sport to the masses. That's how things really should be done. Germany doesn't have as much Champions League success, but it has a better country.

So what does that make the team that just out organised Portugal so comprehensively , Mindful ?

I always think of Portugal as the poor man's Brazil . And they were fully exposed yesterday , as were the Portuguese today.

Forum List

Back